cancellation

Answered!

cancellation

I have a feature set up on my account that offers guests a 10% discount with a no-refund cancellation policy. Recently, a guest requested a cancellation because they can no longer meet up with their family. I am willing to issue a refund. I need to know if there will be any penalties on my end for doing so and how to process the refund. Should I wait until the funds are deposited to me before issuing the refund? If I do, they won’t receive a full refund. Is there a way to provide them with a full refund without penalties or consequences for either party? The cancellation request is a week before check-in, which I’m okay with. I understand things happen, plans change, and that’s beyond one's control. I’ve been in that situation myself before; unfortunately, I was unable to cancel, but I do not want that for my guests if I can prevent it. If I can provide them a full refund without affecting my financial responsibilities to the Airbnb platform, I would prefer to do so. Please provide me with some guidance and assistance on this.

Top Answer

Hello @Mark6387 

 

I offer a non refundable rate with a 10% discount too but always double check with my guests before accepting their reservation (I am not on IB) that they are certain they want to go for this non refundable option and encourage them to take out travel insurance if their plans change. All of this via the Airbnb message stream.  I also tell them that there is the other cancellation plan if they prefer.  

You should maybe warn your guests that they might not get back the Airbnb commission (if you're with the split fee still)

But as Mike says, do NOT do anything your end, you must not be the one instigating the cancellation and you must get assurance from CS that you will not incur any penalties from your end and that the dates on your calendar will open up again.  Airbnb refund any monies due not the host.

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Mark6387 Ask the guest to call Airbnb and cancel. They should then request Airbnb call you to agree to a refund.

Hello @Mark6387 

 

I offer a non refundable rate with a 10% discount too but always double check with my guests before accepting their reservation (I am not on IB) that they are certain they want to go for this non refundable option and encourage them to take out travel insurance if their plans change. All of this via the Airbnb message stream.  I also tell them that there is the other cancellation plan if they prefer.  

You should maybe warn your guests that they might not get back the Airbnb commission (if you're with the split fee still)

But as Mike says, do NOT do anything your end, you must not be the one instigating the cancellation and you must get assurance from CS that you will not incur any penalties from your end and that the dates on your calendar will open up again.  Airbnb refund any monies due not the host.

Hi @Mark6387 

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  and @Joelle43 . I wouldn’t recommend cancelling on behalf of your guest. Instead, ask the guest to contact Airbnb Support directly, or you can reach out to Customer Support yourself and provide screenshots of your conversation as documentation.

 

If you’re willing to offer a full refund, make sure to clearly communicate that to Airbnb Support as well. Having everything documented in the message thread helps avoid misunderstandings and gives the support team the information they need to process the request fairly.

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mark6387 😊, 

I'm glad to read such amazing suggestions and points of view.

 

What did you decide to do regarding your situation after checking the hosts' comments here?

Looking forward to hearing from you!


-----


Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

More tools to help you meet your goals

Resource Center

Explore guides for hospitality, managing your listing, and growing your business.