scam messages from a host within airbnb

Answered!
Barry470
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

scam messages from a host within airbnb

I have made a reservation in February 2024 for a place in Japan in October 2024.  All had been confirmed.  Today I got the following message inside AirBnb from the host.

Dear guest!

There was an error when checking your payment method! In such cases we request additional confirmation or cancel your booking!

To confirm you need to follow the link or copy and paste the link below in the search bar of your browser and enter your data for rechecking!

****//hotelconfirmation.wixsite.com/my-site-7 

During the verification process you will receive a transaction for the amount of the booking you entered on the website, you need to confirm it so you can be identified as the cardholder. Once the transaction is confirmed the money will be refunded to your account!

You have 24 for additional verification or your booking will be canceled!

Regards,
Reservation Team!

I've replace the address with stars so I can post here.

It kept repeating so I asked the host what it was about.  He responded with 

The above is scam information.Please do not click the link to enter your information.The order will not be cancelled.
The above is fraudulent information, do not click on the link and enter the information, the order will not be cancelled.
On the top is fraudulent information, it is not necessary to open the chain and the order will not be cancelled.

The host is a superhost with a lot of great feedback, so I sure theyre not a scam listing, its just the message that is, but obviously I have no idea if the latest message is really from them as it is in the same message thread still within Airbnb from the same host

Obviously this has rocked my confidence in the booking but I dont know whether to cancel the booking and go else where or just ignore it which was the advice given to me by support.

Has anyone else had this situation?

1 Best Answer
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Barry470 

As the booking is only in October, you probably have some time to look at the situation. If you feel the second message is legitimate, you can consider telling the host that you are reporting the scam to customer support. Send your screenshots and ask the host to send screenshots of how they also reported the scam to superhost support. That, together with other feedback that you get to this post, should help you decide. Also keep an eye on the deadline in the host's cancelation policy.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Barry470 

As the booking is only in October, you probably have some time to look at the situation. If you feel the second message is legitimate, you can consider telling the host that you are reporting the scam to customer support. Send your screenshots and ask the host to send screenshots of how they also reported the scam to superhost support. That, together with other feedback that you get to this post, should help you decide. Also keep an eye on the deadline in the host's cancelation policy.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No but it's definitely a scam. Airbnb holds your money not the host . They wouldn't direct you to a third part Wix website . 

p'ease don't click links/provide any information report the message to Airbnb on the platform. 

@Barry470 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Barry470 , You've received useful safety tips from Hosts Helen and Shelley. Did you report the message to Airbnb as Shelley suggested?

Are you still going ahead with the reservation for your exciting trip to Japan in October 2024? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines