smoking guest - non-smoking property

Answered!
Beckie13
Level 2
St. John's, Canada

smoking guest - non-smoking property

So this is my first post and i readily admit i am a relatively new (just achieved superhost in July) and learning host. We don't like smoking because of all the same reasons others have posted on this site and i am very sensitive to the smell. our home and guest suite has a nice small outdoor deck but we are right above it and there is not a lot of other space on the property that would be suitable for smoking that won't bother us. It's our home and further more i don't like people hanging around smoking... to me it is not the style of our place and is completely opposite to what we believe in - healthy home and life style. So here is the dilemma, similar to what i have read others post i had a booking from a wife for her husband. Probably my first mistake for accepting but honestly i have booked for my husband on occasion. anyway the listing states no smoking in or on the property. yesterday our guest was smoking on the deck so i contacted his wife the person who booked to remind her of the smoking restriction. she apologized and we left it at that. Today our guest called me to ask a question and then brought up the smoking. he was complaining it was too far to walk etc and didn't understand why he couldn't smoke outside. i explained our reasons and then offered to make an exception to smoke on the deck to accommodate for his comfort - he only has 1 night left. this is against what we believe in but above all we want guests to feel comfortable and leave happy. he did not appreciate it, he continued to complain and argue that i should have never contacted his wife - the person who booked - that i should have taken it up with him! i politely and firmly stood my ground and told him he did not come to me direct to asked about it and disregarded the clear house rules. i believe sending a note to the person who booked is the appropriate thing to do in this case. anyway, he remained irate rather than grateful that i made the exception. our place is clean and fresh reasonably priced and fully stocked with towels and nice linens and many other amenities... it disappoints me when guests act with really bad manners. The majority we get are so nice, polite and respectful. i do not want to be penalized with a bad review which i think we will be at risk for... (and i will rate these folks accurately in my review) but my question is, will airbnb remove a review if it disputed?

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Beckie13 Beckie , there is no point worrying about a review until you receive it. As you are aware third party bookings although a grey area are not permitted.An argument with a guest is just that an argument and to be avoided. Yes. I think you should have raised the issue with the guest,and normally could only have raised it with the guest . If you have any kind of third party booking then it is of course important that the actual guest has access to and receives house rules and that you know their name etcetera , just like any guest. The review in this case will be written by 'the wife'and as such will be invalid as she has not stayed. This is another reason to avoid third party bookings as you could receive a very bad review from someone who actually did not stay . The guest has gone outside your rules but so have you ..Good Luck... H

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Beckie13 Beckie , there is no point worrying about a review until you receive it. As you are aware third party bookings although a grey area are not permitted.An argument with a guest is just that an argument and to be avoided. Yes. I think you should have raised the issue with the guest,and normally could only have raised it with the guest . If you have any kind of third party booking then it is of course important that the actual guest has access to and receives house rules and that you know their name etcetera , just like any guest. The review in this case will be written by 'the wife'and as such will be invalid as she has not stayed. This is another reason to avoid third party bookings as you could receive a very bad review from someone who actually did not stay . The guest has gone outside your rules but so have you ..Good Luck... H

thank you for the insight. the only think i would add is in the original booking the wife suggested she might also join. i did not realize about 3rd party bookings so thank you for that piece of info.

Sammy-L-0
Level 10
Whitesburg, KY

I probably would have canceled his reservation and asked him to leave. He should have read the rules, and he certainly shouldn't have argued about them. Be sure to put the problem in the review so other hosts know who he is.

Sam
The Historic Mountain View

thank you for the comments- will definitely give an honest review.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

No smoking means NO SMOKING and you should have stood by that. It’s not your problem whether it’s too far for him to walk or not. Maybe, if he wasn’t smoking, he could make the trek.

Honestly, I would have politely said to him, “I’m sorry, Mr Guest, there is no smoking in or around the property.” It almost sounded like tattling to the wife, especially since you knew she made the reservation.

I suggest changing your house rules to NO SMOKING inside or outside—Hosts have allergies. 

I have a no smoking of any kind policy that's reiterated in my listing as well as in my digital guestbook. It states no smoking inside, or outside on the terrace. My housekeeper arrived after a recent guest departure to find ashes, cigarette butt and burn marks on a rattan placemat on my terrace. Zero regard. I never want to make negative comments in my reviews but I absolutely mentioned their disregard for my listings' established policy. I do not know what our options are or if there are any guest consequences that we, as hosts, can take action. 

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

I'm so sorry that this individual was rude to you.   I wonder if his wife, when making his reservation, advised him of your house rules.

As for smoking, you might want to add to your website that your policy is "no smoking of any kind"  For example:  Cigars, Cigarillos, Little Cigar, Electronic cigarette or E- cigarette,  Hookah, Kreteks,  Pipe etc.

When there is more than one individual in a reservation, I have the following language

noted   "Under Additional Rules":

*At the time of booking, please include the full names of ALL guests in your reservation, or ask them to join in your reservation, as Airbnb does not share this info with hosts.

*No third party bookings accepted.

I'm not sure how this works, but at review time, will the review be on the person making the reservation or the one who actually stayed?   At the end of the review process when it asks  would you recommend this guest to other hosts?  I would say "NO".  

Hoping for the best.....

Hello Shirley26, 

The information presented is definitely helpful.  

We actually have verbiage similar to your suggestions for smoking. 

One thing that we run into very often is the third party bookings.  Our property tends to be used by workers passing through and often the sups/foremen/company men are the ones booking the stay (who are the ones paying).  Nonetheless we've had some great guests, but recently had some smokers, that while they did not leave a mess in the house, we did find cigarette ends in some of the sheets.  The property, thankfully was not smelling like cigarette, but were evidence of smoking on the premises.  We have cameras and can see in the recordings that they were in face smoking outside, but either way our rules state "absolutely no smoking of in/on the property, (cigarettes, vapes, or any other substances)".  

So questions:

1. What can help with the issue of third party bookings?

2. I don't like to with the 12/13 days to submit a smoking fee through the resolution center as some YouTubers suggest to avoid bad review.  Any other suggestions for resolving the smoking issue and charging fees while avoiding bad review?

Beckie13
Level 2
St. John's, Canada

Thank you! I really appreciate the support from all that replied. This individual also disregarded checkout time. our cleaners had to wait an hour which we were charged additional for...  The guest seemed completely put out when I reminded him of checkout time... wow! was very happy to see him go. new guests are making up for everything! I am using patience and thoughtfulness to write the review but will be honest as well. thanks again all!

@Shirley26 

@Dani12527 

@Gwen386 

@Sammy-L-0 

@Helen744 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Please don't take third party bookings they are against Airbnb's T&C .  @Beckie13 

You are not protected under the Airbnb Guarantee , it can lead to miscommunication as the guest doesn't read your listing before booking or receive any of your messages .

in your situation I would have gone over to have a chat with the guest and reminded him you ask guests not to smoke outside on the deck as the smell comes into your property and followed up the conversation by message on Airbnb.

always remind guests of check out times the day before they leave and knock on the door ten minutes after check out time if they haven't left . 

leave an honest review about issues with the guest .