suggestion for hosts

Michael6968
Level 1
Truckee, CA

suggestion for hosts

We have hosted for 7 years and consistently receive 5 star reviews.  Recently we purchased a new mattress and weren't certain about how good it would be for guests, so we decided to sleep in our unit for two nights to experience what guests experience.  It was worth it.  We discovered a night light in the living area was too bright, so we dimmed it down and tried out the new mattress.  Our guests will be pleased.  So, just a tip, stay in your place and experience what guests experience.  

6 Replies 6
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Gosh imagine that! Top post in the CC and it doesn’t have any replies yet…

Good advice @Michael6968 it definitely pays off to stay in your listing! I always stay in apartments before I launch them to check everything runs smoothly- but don’t usually have the time to do it periodically to see if things are still the same.

Paul 🙂

@Paul1255 wrote:

Gosh imagine that! Top post in the CC and it doesn’t have any replies yet…

haha, surely no on has their hand on the scales? 

I think no one wanted to respond because this comment has been made before... often. 

@Michael6968  here's a tip: when you join the forums, read them before posting. 🤓

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael6968 

It is good advice. I don't really do this as I host in my own home and it's hard to see beyond that (although I did sleep on a new mattress in one of the guest rooms and it was very nice!) as I am so used to it.

In those situations, i.e. with homeshare hosts, maybe it's a good idea to get a fussy friend/relative to come stay and give you some pointers. I once had a very clean/tidy friend stay in one of my guest rooms and she said it was 'spotless', so I took that as a massive compliment! 

Staying in your listing definitely pays off! Before I launch an apartment, I always stay there to make sure everything runs smoothly, but I usually don't have time to check on things periodically.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michael6968,

We often stay in our spaces, and spent the entire month of September in our back garden facing downstairs apartment for a staycation.  During this "visit" we found that the refrigerator's evaporator fan needed to be replaced, because there was ice buildup in the no-defrost freeze.  It was a nice getaway, and even our neighbors asked where we had been, because they hadn't seen us.  The main thing that reminds us that it wasn't a true holiday is that we have to do the cleaning and turnover.

I did stay in our listing for 2 months as our main home was being renovated. I was able to determine how much our guest can hear if we are in our backyard talking or going into the garage to retrieve supplies, or doing laundry (our listing shares a wall with our detached garage). I could also hear our motor operated driveway gate as it opens and closes (it’s pretty quiet but I could still hear it). Based on that, my husband manually opens the driveway gate when he leaves to workout at 5:00 a.m. in the morning. He pulls out his car the night before so that he does not disturb our guest(s). We do not do laundry until we know our guest(s) have left for the day and schedule any maintenance or repairs to our property either when the unit is vacate or after 10:00 a.m.. If scheduling of repairs and/or maintenance is unavoidable, I reach out to our guest(s) prior to and apologize ahead of time for any noise and/inconvenience. Most are appreciative of the heads up and are gone for the day by the time repairs/maintenance work starts. 

I think it s important to stay in your listing so you can experience what your guest(s) experience and make any improvements based that.