the "5 star or bust" system is terrible.

Answered!
Howard89
Level 3
Williamstown, MA

the "5 star or bust" system is terrible.

Why is 4 stars a bad review? Why do we still have this terrible system?

How can people be truly honest about properties if anything less than 5 stars means the stay was terrible? 

Airbnb states to guests that 4 stars is good. But the platform treats hosts poorly if they have a 4 star average. In fact, hosts are punished for too many four star ratings. 

Why not allow for more honest critiques of spaces? The "5 stars or bad" system sets up a negative host/guest friction. It's bad for both hosts and guests.

I find that the most important function of any guest is the 5 star review. I'd rather have a guest leave a mess and give me five stars than one who left the place immaculate and left me four. 

I have a high rating but this system is ridiculous. 

Why not a more honest system? 

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"But the platform treats hosts poorly if they have a 4 star average. In fact, hosts are punished for too many four star ratings."

If a host consistently gets 4 stars it should be surmised it is an honest evaluation; not every once in a while by some 'confused' guest, but many over the long run.

We are at 4.98 with two guests that couldn't possibly have been happier, gave us straight 5's but overall 4, we do not have a blessed clue what were they thinking. But honestly we do not care any longer either to find out because what guests have to say we believe is by far more important than some 5 vs. 4.98 mathematical difference. It won't break my heart either to see the system dropped entirely, along with AirCover.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Can’t agree more, 5 star review becomes obsession to the host to the limited to accept some behaviour from the gusts to get the 5 star.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"But the platform treats hosts poorly if they have a 4 star average. In fact, hosts are punished for too many four star ratings."

If a host consistently gets 4 stars it should be surmised it is an honest evaluation; not every once in a while by some 'confused' guest, but many over the long run.

We are at 4.98 with two guests that couldn't possibly have been happier, gave us straight 5's but overall 4, we do not have a blessed clue what were they thinking. But honestly we do not care any longer either to find out because what guests have to say we believe is by far more important than some 5 vs. 4.98 mathematical difference. It won't break my heart either to see the system dropped entirely, along with AirCover.

so agree.  I have had about 6 reviews in a row with only positive comments and all straight 5 stars per listing yet an overall rating of 4 stars!   Huh???  It's a silly system and I think it is because within each 5 star category - unless they tick each and every listed feature, it comes off your overall rating - it really is an abyssmal system.  There's nothing more for me to improve yet I get constant prompts - 'ooh you only got 4 stars - pull your socks up!'  shocker of a system - badly needs reviewing - makes us really good 5 star businesses look poorly...