Airbnb hosts: Bookings 'fell off a cliff'

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Airbnb hosts: Bookings 'fell off a cliff'

Airbnb hosts: Bookings 'fell off a cliff' amid increased listings, higher prices - MarketWatch

Read here: https://on.mktw.net/3TNBP7b 

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 I see so much truth in this article. It will be interesting to see Airbnb's results for the summer. They won't care if the total revenue is split over more hosts - they will still get their cut. I suspect many hosts will bail out of what they thought was easy money so next summer may be better than last summer for those of us who are staying.

Michele1348
Level 5
New York, NY

@Sudsrung0 @Mike-And-Jane0   thank you for the article and discussion.   I think the article had a lot of truths to it.  But what is missing is the discussion of the cultural and psychological change that has taken place among the hosts and the guests.   I started hosting with Airbnb when it was geared toward cultural exchange and getting the local vibe by staying in a neighborhood or with a host.   Now I feel like Airbnb has become a competitor of the hotel industry which has ruined the experience of being a host or being hosted.   Even the guests are different.  I have had guests who come into my home and don't even speak. They lock themselves in their room like I'm a B&B or a hotel and even the respectfulness of my items or cleanliness has changed.  Now people act as though there is a maid who will clean the room after they leave.  And with Covid, I have had many more scams and people looking for temporary housing. Even the way people introduce themselves "hey is your place available?"  lacks the politeness that came with the Airbnb experience.   I think people jumped on the money train while Airbnb failed to keep the brand's offering and experience different and distinct.  Also, the cost of places just astounds me.   I travel extensively. I was looking for a place in Atlanta and the prices were comparable with corporate housing.  Recently, I was in Italy for several weeks.  It was cheaper and easier to stay in a hotel.  I hate to agree but, now it does feel like people are in competition with hotels.  I'm not surprised that cities and hotel lobbies are increasing the restrictions and implementing governing registration policies.  I hope they can find a sweet spot because I like hosting, not being a hotel.  

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Michele1348 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Most of our business has come from airbnb over the years, Do you guys feel the same the quality of guest has gone down? My last 2 guest were perfect one stayed for 3 weeks and the other for nine days. Total respect from them.

One time we used to have a few different properties something for every budget but the Cheap Charlie guest always came from other platforms some were a nightmare and I always said the best guest came from airbnb, maybe they have moved over to airbnb...........?

We used to get wonderful guest bring us gifts like chocolate and a bottle of wine, Not for a long time now.

I guess airbnb is just the best of a bad bunch.

@Sudsrung0 

Totally agree.   The landscape of guests has changed just like the hosts have changed.   This is what I was saying in my post.  People treat hosts like we're offering a hotel room, not a special place with a unique vibe or location.    

Have a great day!!  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The discussion of the why the rate of bookings for many hosts changed so dramatically back in May has been going on here since then. I have always felt, best to get the facts and adjust accordingly.

The million dollar question that still remains is - has the total bookings for Airbnb stayed the same or even improved? If their booking improved, they are not going back to the old system of searching; if not they may do so.

I have again improved my place and kept the same prices for next year, till further notice and just in case.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

"Addressing questions about the updates the company has made to its platform, she said Airbnb is “regularly checking in with our community” to make sure the updates are working as designed."

LOL

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

"Ewing said his property — which he and his wife bought as investment with his mother-in-law — had about 80% occupancy until April. Then in May, “we went from 80% to zero.”

Oh, quelle surprise! When was it that Airbnb launched its summer release?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sudsrung0 

I won't say my bookings have 'fallen off a cliff' this year but they are definitely down and I am seeing more holes in my booking calendar the last 5 months than I have for the last 4 years.

I think what we long term hosts have to appreciate is.......as far as Airbnb are concerned we are boring, we are not the image that Airbnb now wants to promote, despite the fact that we offer a great electric bed, a cheese plate for every guest and a breakfast of fruit juice, toast, spreads and eggs and bacon. They want to promote a four wheel trailer that has been converted into .......a potato!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NuzSYHGDU&ab_channel=Airbnb

It has jack sh*t in the way of hosting hospitality, but as far as Airbnb is concerned it looks cool and is worth a plug on international tv advertising! 

Airbnb have totally abandoned their original concept of being part of a global home hosting experience in favour of having guests stay in utterly characterless potatoes!

Cheers........Rob