Dealing with Stress of Bed Bugs

Rick124
Level 2
Springfield, MO

Dealing with Stress of Bed Bugs

Where is the support from our partners (Airbnb) when it comes to handling bed bugs? 

This last Sunday my guest notified me at approximately 7:00 am she thought there were bed bugs in her bed. I was over at the property within the hour. Through my inspection it appeared to me she was correct and I immediately notified Airbnb.  They stated they needed to know whether she was bitten by them or not - she stated she had not. This being the case Airbnb support called her in the next few hours and told her it was in her best interest to vacate the home. So, Airbnb support proceeded to cancel her reservation thru November 5th. 

Airbnb support then tells me I will need to "suspend" my listing till I get it corrected. I talked to the pest solutions company yesterday and they cannot treat for remediation until November 4th. The cost from the pest solutions company for an all-day heat treatment is $1,569. It will be ready for occupancy the day after. So this episode is going to cost $2,500 to $3,500 when all is done. Don't you think it would be better to just block the days up to November 5th so guests could at least have visibility of the listing to book future dates?

I think Airbnb needs to be taking another look at this policy of no help to the hosts - all actions have been geared toward taking care of the guest.

Where do I take this from here? 

Your insights are appreciated,

Rick

Rick Simpson
5 Replies 5
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Rick124 

Seems like a big problem, 

I was reading this link about them if it's any use to you

https://smithspestmanagement.com/blog/post/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs/

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Firstly you need to get an pest control to come in and check to see if you have an infestation
  2. If you haven't then send the report to Airbnb to confirm this 
  3. If you have get pest control to treat your listing. You need to keep it clear for two weeks and then the pest control company will come back to check no further infestation. Share this report with airbnb and then you can open up your listing again.

No, you are incorrect. Airbnb support required me to have it unlisted for a whole month from the time of treatment. Even though the treatment company states it is ready for occupancy by the next day. 

Rick Simpson
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry but that's rather rude Rick.

When there were bed bugs at a listing I co-hosted they asked me to close down the listing for two weeks so I based my advice on my real life experience. @Rick124 

I also spoke to three pest control companies who confirmed that you need to leave the space free for two weeks after spraying to both ensure all the bed bugs have died and also because it wouldn't be safe for guests to stay there because it had been sprayed with chemicals.

No guests are going to want to stay in a listing that has been sprayed as it's visible on beds and other areas and there is a smell from the chemicals. I'm really shocked your pest control service suggested it would be safe to relet the listing a day after it being sprayed.

I sent Airbnb confirmation from the pest control company after the two week check that the listing was bug free and allowed the listing to be re-opened.

@Rick124 . When Airbnb states that you have to suspend your listing, that should be fine. Anyone who is searching will still be able to still see your listing, they just cannot book. So when the time comes, if they choose to book in the future they can. But Bed Bugs is a serious issue, so I agree with @Helen3 . You want to make sure that the issue is remedied before having anyone else enter the home. So if it takes 2 weeks, then allow the process or else you will end up with a bigger headache.