Host reviews that are

Host reviews that are

The host of a Yellow Cottage in Flagstaff left a bad review after my stay (had a party, spills on the floor, damaged property).

I did not share my experience because I did not want it posted publicly. This is my first Airbnb experience and I did not want to embarrass the Host. However, I did comment as a reply to the bad review by the Host. This is the review of my stay:

The cottage had a large heater under the floor between the living room and the entrance to the kitchen. The heater had a large grate over it. When the heater was on, the metal grate would get very hot. When I walked from the bedroom off the kitchen to enter the living room I stepped on the grate and it burned my bare feet. I had red burn marks followed by blisters on my foot. I could not sleep that night. The lighting in the bathroom was very dim. I could not see to put on makeup and Jerry could not see to shave. I brought a chair out to the back porch to wipe the ice and snow off the metal roof that spilled onto a bench that was the only seating area outside. We wanted to see the amazing stars outside. When we left, I forgot to bring the chair back inside. The only people who came to the house were my sister and her husband who picked us up to go to dinner. There was no party. The wifi did not work and I had a book deadline and was not able to communicate with my editor or publisher via computer. There may have been crumbs on the floor because there was no coffee table in front of the couch to set a snack tray on when watching TV. If there were spills, they were minor. The cottage had an odor (my sister mentioned it during the little time she was there). Perhaps it was from the smoker that was in the back, right against the house. Dishes were washed by hand and set in the strainer. The cleaning fee was $125 dollars. Therefore, I did not vacuum or mop the floors. I chose not to share my comments on the airbnb siite because I did not want to disclose my dissatisfaction publicly. Hopefully, the owners of the cottage will view my comments and try to make some changes to their cottage.

8 Replies 8
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This comes across as 'A Battle of Minutiae' which happens when too many small things are mentioned in order to win the argument. The wooden chair left in the porch and the 'apparent party' were the first foolish salvos by the host. If your contentions are so then the host does run a very sloppy place. The hot grate is important, sounds like in very cold weather it does get way too hot.

Belize! You lucky dog!  Perhaps I did go a little overboard, but this was my first Airbnb experience and I was shocked at the hosts' response. I do not know if the negative post by the host would affect future attempts to book an Airbnb, if I should I try again. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gae425 

Some hosts will be put off by this review. Others will be willing to hear both sides of the story and give you a chance.

Personally, if a guest requests to book with me and they have one bad review (rather than several), I will ask them what happened (if they have not left a response, which most don't). I will also check the reviews that the host has received from other guests and the reviews they have left for other guests to see if there is a pattern.

By the way, even if the host is out of town, it is still their responsibility to deal with problems at the listing, or have someone who can deal with them. It's not a get out of jail free card. So, it is always worth contacting the host about any genuine concerns.

THANK YOU.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you raised all these issues with the host at the time @Gae425 

What was their response ?

presumably you had medical attention as a result of your burns? If the fire is as you say then definite something to raise . 

Thank you for your response. The Host actually lives next door but was out of town during my stay. I got medication recommended by the pharmacist at CVS and it did heal up.

It was not a fire, just a large, hot metal grate over the heater that is hard to miss while going to and from the kitchen.

THANKS

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What was the hosts response when you raised the issue with them ~@Gae425

It's a shame you didn't leave an honest review.

The host lived next door and was out of town during my stay.  This was my first Airbnb experience. Lesson learned.