Adding a separate structure that can only be booked with main house

John-And-Lara0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Adding a separate structure that can only be booked with main house

I am converting a separate structure on the property to a home office with stand-up desk. The structure is behind an existing listing. It has a  king bed and en-suite bath. I have created a separate listing (not published yet), with photos of only this addition. I basically want it offered as an "add-on", only available to guests in the main house. I don't really want it listed as an extra room, or person charge, because it may be used for example where a family of six is staying there, let's say parents and grandparents, and two kids. Then one working spouse can use the suite to work during the day, and the parents sleep there at night, while the grandparents are in the main house with the children. Or three couples, where one couple has to work privately. It will have its own smart lock.

I cannot have it as as a separate listing, for privacy concerns. I also can't include the photos with the main listing, because people don't always read the full description saying it is available as an extra cost.

This has stumped the Airbnb rep I talked to, and I never received a satisfactory solution. They talked about syncing calendars, but then they said one cannot be booked if the other one was already booked.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John-And-Lara0  Unfortunately, Airbnb reps are ill-trained know-nothings.

What will work for this situation is to have 2 listings- one only for the main house, and one for the main house plus the outbuilding. Syncing the calendars will then work fine, because if someone books with the annex option, it will block the main house only listing, and if they book the main house only listing, the one with the annex option won't be available, which is what you want.

Then I would put wording in the main house only listing regarding the other option, in case guests looking at the main house listing think, "Hey, that would be a good idea, for grandma and gramps to have a place to get away from the hustle and bustle since they go to bed earlier and get up earlier than everyone else."

Of course you would only show photos of the main house on that listing, and photos of both on the other.

Hmm… interesting. Thank you.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to link to the other listing in the description or in another place? I tried to add an Airbnb link and it rejected it.
  2. I'll assume the new combined listing will have zero reviews?
  3. Is it is possible to duplicate a listing and add to it?
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John-And-Lara0 

1)You can add links in one of the sections of the listing - sorry can't remember which!

2) Correct it will have zero reviews

3) Yes just duplicate and then add the annex.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John-And-Lara0  The new listing will have zero reviews, but it will still carry your Superhost status, and you could mention in the listing info for guests to click on your profile photo to see your past reviews for only the main house.

It does say something like "This host has XX # of reviews for other properties" down by the reviews section of your listing, but guests often don't read through everything.

Kara417
Level 1
Bullhead City, AZ

@Sarah977 Thank you that was very helpful,  I had the same question.

@John-And-Lara0  how has this worked out for you?