Are guests able to do laundry at your property?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Are guests able to do laundry at your property?

39716847_05.jpg

Hello everyone

I hope the start of fall/spring is shaping up beautifully in your area! 🍃/🍂

For many guests, having access to laundry facilities might be an important aspect of their stay, though this need often varies depending on the location and the nature of their trip.

Are guests able to do laundry at your property? If so, do you provide cleaning supplies, such as laundry detergent? If you don’t offer this service, I’d love to hear your reasons in the comments.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

34 Replies 34
Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

Yes. I offer a washing machine, laundry powder and a dryer at no extra charge. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Bronwyn100, thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Do guests usually do laundry during their stays?

Regards.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

Often if they have young children and stay more than 3 nights. 

Angela3989
Level 4
Milwaukee, WI

Yes we have a washer and dryer available for guests use in the basement, along with detergent, softener and bleach. Most guests don't use it, however a few have - mostly those who stayed a bit longer than average. The machines are Smart, so they sends me a message when a cycle is completed and that helps to keep tabs on usage. Overall I find it a perk that works out positively.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Angela3989, thank you so much for sharing. 

It makes sense that longer-staying guests would take advantage of it. Have you noticed any specific feedback from guests regarding the laundry facilities?

Regards,

-----

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Paula 

When I first listed my property, I was quite anxious about how things would go since we don’t have a washing machine. We have a newly drilled well, 120 meters deep, providing drinking-quality water, but it has slightly elevated levels of iron and manganese, which can stain clothes when used for laundry.

Until we get a filtration system installed, we haven’t added a washing machine, and I’ve had to explain this to our guests, hoping it wouldn’t cause too much inconvenience or result in negative reviews.

How does one convey the charm of fetching water from our nearby lake in a bucket, heating it in a large pot, and then hand-washing clothes? 😊

We've tried to embrace the charm of "slow living" and expect that guests booking our place are nature lovers who appreciate this vibe. We do provide organic laundry detergent for hand washing that’s safe for the environment and the surrounding water.

So far, this approach has exceeded our expectations! I was particularly worried when hosting guests with babies, but they’ve all been happy with the experience so far, and we’re crossing our fingers that it continues this way until we’ve installed the filter and purchased a washing machine. 😊

Best,

Karen

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Karen4131 😊

I love your sustainable approach! I would definitely enjoy staying in a place that cares about the environment—congratulations on that! Do you include some of these specifications in your listing description, or how do you communicate this with your guests?

Looking forward to reading your answer.

Best,

-----

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Paula  I've been considering going 'all in' on how we think about sustainability in my description, but actually, we don't mention much about it, apart from the fact that the shampoo is organic 🙂 Maybe we should start focusing more on it, as it is something that matters a lot to us (and potentially to our guests), and it's something we've considered at almost every level.

For example, with laundry, I mention it in my welcome email and in the information materials that are ready for the guests.

In the future, we plan to get a washing machine, and then we can mention that the electricity is from wind energy. This is a choice you can make with your electricity provider in Sweden.

But climate and sustainability are huge issues, and I imagine they affect many Airbnb hosts around the world... Maybe it's a theme? 😉

- Karen

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Karen4131 😊

I completely agree—sustainability is a trending topic that affects us all, and it would be a good option incorporating more of it into your description.

It's an important theme, and I’m taking notes here to bring it into future conversations in the community.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! 🌟

-----

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

We don't provide laundry on the premises, and it's not listed in the amenities. Mostly because our washer/dryer is not in shared spaces and also due to hygiene concerns. Our maximum stay duration is 25 days. 

Regardless of that, guests often ask if we offer laundry after the first week or so. 

There are coin laundry in the area, but they are not within walking distance.

I feel like providing laundry on the premises is an important amenity for people staying past a week or so, but because we offer budget stays (around 1/3 - 1/2 the price of a hotel), we can get away with it. One way or another, our guests have been able to get around this issue. Also, most people book for less than 2 weeks (probably due to the lack of laundry on-site).

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Zheng49,

That’s interesting—thank you for sharing your experience! Do you know if your approach is common in the Toronto area? Given the size of the city and the variety of properties, many hosts might prefer guests to use nearby coin laundry facilities or find alternative solutions.

Keep us posted.

-----

@Paula 

I am new to Airbnb, and this is a super question/topic for newbies!

I had not asked myself whether or not I would allow guests to do their laundry during their stay, until I was filling out the Airbnb space check boxes, and it had laundry options there. 

I chose to include the use of my washer and dryer. And I do supply detergent and fabric softener.

My very first bookings immediately needed the washer and dryer which is also located right outside their guest bedroom door. It made me feel good that the option and freedom was there for them, and they were able to use it (in both of their situations it was an obvious need and if I were them would completely understand why).

I provide the laundry soap and fabric softener not only as a convenience for them, but now that I think about it it's smart for me to do this because my washer and dryer require HE (high efficiency) detergents. 

Well I am new, and should consider the cost of detergent and wear and tear on my washer and dryer, just like the entire experience... I'll see how it plays out and reevaluate as we go. For now it feels like a win-win overall for everyone. I don't charge extra now, but may consider it in the future.

I'd love to know what others do, so thanks for the post!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Amber-Jeanne0 😊

It’s interesting to hear your perspective as a host just starting your journey!

Have you considered checking out some nearby properties to see if they offer laundry amenities? This could give you insight into pricing and what’s included, helping ensure you’re in the right range. I’m just sharing these thoughts in case you find them useful.

I look forward to hearing if your future guests take advantage of the laundry facilities!😊

Best,

-----

Thank you so much, @Paula.

I have not seen comparable properties in my area with laundry while doing my research. But research is continuous. Maybe I'll become a popular option because of this, who knows! I'll keep ya posted on the topic. ☺

Show quoted text