Are you planning to spruce up your space in 2020?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Are you planning to spruce up your space in 2020?

29d6431c_original.jpg

Hello everyone,

As we approach the end of the year (aw, I can’t believe I’m saying that), it’s pretty common to look ahead and think about plans for the upcoming year. Many people like to make new year resolutions, but when it comes to hosting, this can often signal a time to refresh your home. Some new guest towels perhaps or a new coat of paint in the bathroom or something bigger like that garden shed you have had your eye on! 

What are your plans for sprucing up your listing in 2020? 

We'd love to hear your input for an upcoming article. Thank you! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

121 Replies 121
Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

making floating hotels?? hahahaha just kidding.. maybe? don't know.. 

Jeffrey Bong
Sarah1957
Level 2
South Charleston, OH

I did a serious upgrade five years ago -bedroom and bathroom renovation with new everything except beds, also new living room furnishings that created more space and convenience and made my vintage log cabin easier to clean. A recommendation I would make to hosts: Before you jump into a renovation or upgrade, pack a bag and stay in your own space for a couple of nights, then make a list of things you needed, missed or that didn’t work quite as you imagined. Living in it instead of just thinking about living in it is very telling!

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I always stay in each of my properties at least 3x a year.

I go with a drill, an electric screwdriver, paint supplies, cleaning supplies, and with a van ready to go to the DIY or furniture store.

I use these stays to enjoy my place as a guest, and make all the little tiny detailed improvements necessary for people to think, aaah, everything is in it's place and it's even better than at home!

Each year I try to improve a series of things big or small.  This year it was: new bed heads and bed skirts, new mattress toppers, new shower floor, repainted walls,  new pictures on the walls...

Samantha638
Level 2
Florida, US

I will be adding a full front porche with incredible lighting and I will also be up dating some furniture and towels and making my garden beautiful so that it stands out, a garden can really beautify  a place also will try adding solar power to the house maybe also a roof top porche to make it more relaxing for guests any ideas please drop me a line

Lawrence161
Level 1
Parkville, Australia

I am trying to add my office space for working travellers. I need a small fold-down or collapsible desk opposite my sofa bed, under where movies are projected. Or it might fit in one of the bedrooms. The floating wall desk looks great for my needs but will it get sat on and broken? I like a glass desk I saw, to reduce clutter. Portable or wall-mounted? This is my current quandary. It’s not urgent. I’m also planning the potted garden on the roof deck. I will use indigenous coastal plants. I want to landscape the small common areas at the apartments too. 

Huy186
Level 2
Bethlehem, PA

Since I am a photographer, I want to start adding my own prints in my home instead of other artwork bought on amazon.  I think it will add a homier and personal feel to it.  I just need to find the most cost-effective way to print and frame my photos. 

Elma4
Level 2
New York, United States

I’m looking to Spruce up my deck area maybe a small fire pit, chairs, a new awning cover installed. 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Stephanie , I always try to heed the advice my Grandma needle pointed on a sampler in the 40's for my grandfather "the Coronal's" work shop (now in my Shop),  "Don't Start Vast Projects with Half Vast Ideas". 

@Bearpath Lodging, were always light, medium and major renovating, its a year round activity when you own a 200+ year old, 4500 Sq ' Lodging and home.  My next "more challenging job" in one of the suites is to replace the 1980s dark brown shag carpeting in the biggest guestroom, the biggest problem is that I don't know what is under there until I rip it!  If its wide hardwood plank floors in fair shape, I want to refinish them and put an area rug over them like I did in its smaller sister room next door but I wont know until I rip it and I wont have long to do either.  So we have to pick a possible wall to wall carpet and a possible area rug and be prepared for either almost instantly, thats going to be a bit stressful but its got to happen and January is the time to do it!  I wish everyone great luck with your projects, Safe Travels and Stays, JR

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah, I am a connoisseur of unfinished projects so you Grandma had it right @Melodie-And-John0 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

It took me a few years to be able to complete my home renovations. That’s why I just recently  became a host. I wanted to make sure that everything is comfy and cozy before people arrive. Doing the renovations on my own was a big struggle, many times hard work, but I survived. It is a great accomplishment when you complete a project. Now I t’s time to rest and invite a guest.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I continuously update throughout the year, specially items that will build equity. We are in the middle of building an outdoor area which includes a shaded porch, outdoor seating, xeriscape and a new fence.

Add a small water feature ... my guests love the bubbling natural rock we installed. Low maintenance, and birds love it. Also think about planting anything that will bring you hummingbirds. 

I love water features but we will see, we are definitely going for xeriscape modern look.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/House-trashed-by-a-minor-guest/td-p/1196623

I suspect this host will be doing a complete make over...

Jennifer62
Level 4
Montclair, NJ

We've now owned our Santa Fe casita for seven years, and it's time to rethink our decorating. Unfortunately I'm not a real fan of the "here come the 60/70's dorm room macrame" aesthetic, but I can and will pare things down this year. Our guests love our 'guide to art in the house' and I plan to finally website/shopify the things people always want to know where to buy like our ceramic mermaids.

New bed linens (organic Boll and Branch). A welcome bag (I'm a fan of lavender from Los Poblanos) so people can take their NM bathing home with them. 

New photos. 

And I'm going to install a Nest thermostat, as I have a greeter who is supposed to turn the heat up and warm the house for guests but he's messed up a few times now and cold guests are not happy guests.