Can I split a whole apartment into two separate rooms?

Can I split a whole apartment into two separate rooms?

Hello,

I have an apartment listed which I would like to split and rent out as two individual rooms. Is there a simple way to do this or will have to make two new listings? (One for each room) 

I am happy to make two listings but want to confirm there isn't a better way to do this already in the Airbnb system.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steven598  It requires 2 separate listings, that's the only way to do it. Additionally, you could have a 3rd listing which includes both rooms if someone wanted to rent them both, so they'd have the entire apartment. You then have to link the calendars so if someone rents the entire space, the individual room listings beome blocked and vice-versa.

If the situation you want to create would involve 2 unrelated guests sharing the kitchen and bathroom and other spaces, be sure you make that really clear in your description, so people don't arrive thinking they have the entire space to themselves.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Like @Sarah977 said. Can make three seperate listings, while place, room, room. I did that when I first started, whole place and three others for bedrooms. Turned out to be a very poor choice. I recommend just listing the whole place. 

@Steven598   I agree with @Jim472   here.  If splitting the apartment means that you have 2 unrelated guests or groups of guests sharing common areas without a host in the home, you'd be opening up a world of trouble (for example, what do you do when both rooms are occupied and the guests don't get along, or one is failing to clean up after themselves?).  I've stayed in one of these units as a guest, and it was by far the worst experience I've had on AIrbnb.

Entire Home listings have always been in higher demand than private rooms in shared homes, but this is especially true in the time of Coronavirus, now that social distancing is not just a matter of personal preference but also a public health imperative.