Emergency Evacuation Plan

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Emergency Evacuation Plan

Do you provide this information to your guests?

Here's an example:

Zheng49_0-1721675645019.png

12 Replies 12

Hi @Zheng49 

Great job on the Emergency evacuation plan! I believe providing an emergency evacuation plan to our guests is super important but sometimes overlooked. The fantastic map you shared got me thinking about how crucial this is.

As hosts, our guests' safety should be our top priority, hence having a clear and accessible emergency evacuation plan is essential.

Knowing there's a plan in place can reduce anxiety for both us and our guests. It shows we care about their safety and have taken steps to ensure their well-being.

In emergencies like fires or natural disasters, a well-documented plan can save precious time and potentially lives. Clear instructions on how to exit the property safely can make all the difference.

In many regions, providing safety information, including an evacuation plan, is a legal requirement. Even if it’s not mandatory where you are, it's always best to be prepared.

Guests appreciate hosts who go the extra mile for their safety. This can lead to positive reviews and repeat bookings, as guests will feel more comfortable staying at our properties.

Implementing an emergency evacuation plan is easy, I can share few steps with you if you want.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Zheng49,

Yep, we have one posted in the top floor suites at our guesthouse.

Debra300_0-1721779597334.png

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Jean174
Level 6
Long Beach, CA

Our city requires that you post the location of exits somewhere in your house, including in your physical guidebook.  I list the first aid kits and fire extinguishers on that map as well. I created a template for Long Beach, California hosts as an living example that they could customize.

I have tried about 15 times to upload the images, which I created by converting a .pptx to 3 .pngs but I can not figure it out.

Slide1.PNGSlide2.PNGSlide3.PNG

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Jean174 , thanks so much for sharing this elaborate plan you have in place for safety measures during emergencies. It looks so insightful!  Since you mention physical guidebook in the comment above, I was really curious to know , what other information you tend to provide in those guidebooks? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Zheng49 

Our city requires one as well and part of the fire dept yearly inspection. The bedroom window also needs to work, and needs to show where fire extinguisher is located that needs to be inspected and tagged yearly also. 

When I read this getting prepared for my first inspection from fire department, after long application and inspection process from the zoning dept, I thought it meant an evacuation route for hurricanes and I posted that instead. Each neighborhood has their own evacuation route as the entire coast has to evacuate. But as it turns out it was to get out of the apartment. 

Mine is really simple almost a studio. We have to inspect, test and document smoke and CO detectors monthly also. I upgraded mine to the Nest ones, as they are a lot less prone to false alarms, give notifications, interconnected, and self text each month and let you know if there is any issue on the app, without chirping. Supposed to also change batteries every year, but these are hardwired with lithium ion battery for backup that last 10 years and can see battery life. 

Usually news reports of fires with fatalities involve no smoke detectors or dead batteries. 

Quick google search here is a recent near death escape for Airbnb guest that said the was no warning from smoke detector.

https://www.wjhg.com/2024/07/11/family-recalls-escape-during-destin-airbnb-fire/

"Rodney and his family said not a single fire alarm went off inside. It wasn’t even a neighbor who called the fire department. The neighbor’s car sent an automated message to the authorities when it sensed a fire."

The entire family had to escape and jump off the second floor balcony as the entire house was engulfed with flames. 

If you happen to know of easy to use website to create a floor plan would be interested. I had to draw mine out by hand. 

This is my test spread sheet for monty fire alarm that has to be kept in this format.

BTW when you purchase fire alarm make sue to check the manufactured date as they are only good for 10 years. The Nest ones I got from lowes were already 9 years old so returned them and got more recent ones, as they will sound alarm at 10 years and have to replace. 

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 9.17.36 AM.png

"If you happen to know of easy to use website to create a floor plan would be interested. I had to draw mine out by hand. "

Sorry I don't, I'm also looking for such a website!

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Zheng49,

I use an older version of Home Designer Suite to make floorplans, but nowadays they offer only their Premier version and require a subscription after a free trial.  Some time ago, I did try Floor Planner and it's still free: https://floorplanner.com/personal

Thank you for this post , I have one hand written and this helped a lot 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Raluca54,

Please share your new exit plan when you're finished.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Zheng49 , thanks so much for creating this important and wonderful topic about having a evacuation plan ready for guest safety during emergencies. 

@John5097 @Zheng49 , @Debra300 has shared a link where she was able to create one for her own listing. Did you get a chance to explore the option and create something for your guests? 

@John5097 I am really curious to see how your hand-drawn plan looks like 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

That's fantastic!
Safety is always a top priority especially for people are new to your properties.

Have a clear plan and drawing can reduce anxiety, show care and enhance property reputation. I am planning to do one for me 👍🏻