Heating

Rada145
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Heating

Hi there. Does anyone have any advice on heating?I have heating on a timer and a digital thermostat that allows heat to be switched on/off, thus overriding the settings. I've had one set of guests abuse the system, by maxing out the heating all day even when out. I really don't want this situation to be repeated, but not sure how to approach it on house rules. Any tips?

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

How do you know the guests are leaving the heating on when they are out @Rada145 

You can lock the heating so guests need to ask you to increase the temperature 

Jace75
Level 1
Orlando, FL

@Rada145 

I can lock the unit and control it with the app. I only do this if the guest is abusing the heat and air settings. Otherwise, I just leave it accessible for the majority of guests and monitor as needed. Most digital thermostats should offer you the ability to lock it from the unit. 

@Rada145 

I usually Set the thermostat to 73°F with "Auto Heat" in winter months or "Auto Cool" in summer months. I include the instructions in our house manual/rules and also have a sign posted next to the thermostat.  Most of my guest have obliged. 

@Rada145 

I'm sorry Rada, but nobody heats in Thailand.

Jennifer4135
Level 1
Southampton, United Kingdom

@Rada145 

Hi Rada we purchased what is known as  a Hive and we can control the heating remotely through an app, even though we are over 500 miles away.  We set the heating to 21 degrees during the day. As we don’t know when our guests are in, we don’t turn it down during the day. If we see it turned up to 24 we turn it back down. We just have to conscious of where our guests are from. Guests from hotter countries such as Africa or middle East are used to higher temperatures so are more sensitive to 21 degrees and it may feel cold to them. 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Rada145 

Guests from hotter countries need to realise that they can't expect to recreate their hot temperatures in colder countries. They need to wear appropriate clothes.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Rada145 we used these

https://www.fireprotectionshop.co.uk/products/sti-thermostat-protector?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADy1...

Smaller ones exist if the thermostat is smaller. We did offer to allow hotter or cooler temps if people asked and were lucky that we could control the heating remotely. Perhaps some sort of hive remote thermostat is needed as well.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rada145. You've recieved some great tips from fellow hosts.

Did you find one particularuy helpful? If so, feel free to mark it as the Top Answer ☑️. It helps others with similar questions find the best advice easily and shows appreciation for those who contributed 😊. You can do this by clicking the button below the comment, as shown in the image.

Quincy_0-1728391548673.png

Also, a friendly reminder @Jennifer4135@Jan-Markus0@Jaaz1@Jace75I've added a tag with Rada's username to your comments. To tag someone, tap "@" and select the host's username from the dropdown menu. This way, they will receive a notification and see your message.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen