How do you handle the cleaning and management of bed linens and sheets?

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you handle the cleaning and management of bed linens and sheets?

683618120857757363-20 (3).jpg

Hello everyone 😊

Today, I would love to hear how you handle your bed linens and sheets!

This is an important part of creating a welcoming atmosphere for your guests.

• Some Hosts choose to manage laundry themselves, making sure to wash linens right after each guest checks out and keeping extra sets handy for quick turnaround. 
  • Others prefer to take a step back and use a professional laundry service to make things easier, especially if they have a lot of guests or properties.

What’s your approach? Do you prefer to handle it yourself, or do you like the convenience of outsourcing laundry? 🧺

I would love to hear why you prefer your chosen approach and look forward to reading about your experiences in the comments!

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
33 Replies 33

@Elisa bed linen is changed after each tenant, washed at 60 degrees, then dried and ironed

Hi @Irina677 😊

Thank you for sharing this with the community! 

Do you manage it by yourself, or do you use a laundry service?

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

sometimes I wash at home, but sometimes I also use a laundromat

Fiona925
Level 2
Darlington, Australia

I use a laundry service who pick up and deliver back lovely folded  linen smelling fresh. I have  2 sets of linen so I can make the bed up as soon as guests leave . I have tried going to a laundry and washing and drying the sheets myself ( to save money) but it just didn't work for me as it took up too much time and the result was not nearly as professional . I'm not interested in using my own washing machine / dryer as it would again take up too much time and effort with the appliances being way smaller than professional ones . I also go to work so have limited time. 

Hi @Fiona925 😊

I like your approach, that sounds really convenient!

How do you find the turnaround time with the laundry service? Have you ever had any issues with scheduling pickups or deliveries?

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

I  launder my own sheets the minute guests check out, I have 3 king beds and 12 pillow cases to turn over and can launder the bedding alone in about 4 hours (ironing 12 pillow cases takes about an hour and a half). My linens are hotel brand and white so that I can see if there is any staining.

Tips on stains:

Blood, doggie slobber or snotty noses...if you are not sure just put hydrogen peroxide on it and if it fizzles, it's human/animal related and the hydrogen peroxide will take care of the enzyme part of it. Then apply your favorite laundry stain remover and last resort is a blotting of bleach to the stain area and launder again.

Always press/iron your pillow cases!

Hi @Ingrid951 😊,

I am very impressed! You have a solid system in place.

Thank you for your tips on stains. You should write a post about that.

Don’t hesitate to start a new conversation here! 😍

How do you manage your time with such a big laundry load after guests check out?

Any tips for staying organized during the turnover?

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

@Elisa 

Hi Elisa,

I have a larger house so I always give a full day for turnover even though the beds can be worked out in about a 4hr time.  Organization is pretty much in my head as I'm the one cleaning and know where everything should be and what may be missing  (like shampoo, soaps, cleaning products).  Please share my tips as you would like. 

Cheers Ingrid

Thank you for explaining this to me! @Ingrid951 😊 

Has it ever happened to you that you couldn't manage the cleaning?
Who helped you in that case?

Warm regards 🌻

-----

@Elisa 

Hello, Ms. Elisa! About your question on how we handle the  cleaning and management of bed linens and sheets, we used disinfecting solutions. For the bed sheets and linens, we used hot water and laundry soap/powder, we rinse it until there is no more bubbles and hang it to dry because we know here in the Philippines, the weather is hot and it can easily dry the clothes. 

Hi @Medela0 😊

Thank you for sharing this with the community! 

How do you ensure the disinfecting solutions are safe for the fabrics? Any tips for maintaining the quality of your linens?

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

@Elisa 

Hello again, Elisa! 

We ensure the disinfecting solutions are safe for the fabrics by knowing the contains of each disinfecting solutions or the ingredients. Some of the disinfecting solutions are for white clothes, some are for different colors of clothes. You can't wash all the clothes or linens in 1 wash or all together, you must separate the white clothes to different colors, the pillow cases to bedsheet and blanket. It depends on what you wash. 

Tips? Hmmmn, you need to know how the proper laundry, from soaking to rinse it and when it comes to dark colors of the clothes or linens you don't need to hang it to dry under the sun because it can be fade the colors. You need to dry it up using a machine then hang it to become totally dry and ready to use it again. 

Hi @Medela0 😊,

I am impressed that you know so well how to do it!

Have you thought about sharing your tips with the community?

If not, you can do so by starting a new conversation here.
This will help you connect with other Hosts and gain more visibility in the community!

Let me know if you need any help.
Warm regards 🌻

-----

Hi Elisa,

Greetings from the Philippines!

First,  here are my circumstances:
1)   I host remotely.  I live in the province, my Airbnb unit is in the city (2 to 3-hour distance).

2)  Since I began, I hired a part-time (on call only) caretaker who lives near the Unit (walking distance).  She attends to emergency needs of guests (example, shower hose leaked, AC unit broke down and the likes).  She also takes care of laundering bed linens.

3)  Full unit size is 4 guests.  I have 3 sets of bed covers, linens & towels for full capacity bookings.  However, majority of bookings involves only 1, 2 or 3 guests.  So, you can just imagine how many sets I actually have (4-5 sets, practically).  Therefore, we are never short of clean bed covers, linens & towels. 

4)  I have 2 sets of curtains.

5)  Minimum stay is 3 nights.  I have 1 day allotted to prepare the unit for each new booking.  So there's no rush for linens; there's no much rush on cleaning.

6)  I clean & arrange the unit myself (that means traveling 2-3 hrs going to the Unit and another 2-3 hrs. going home) and just seek assistance from the caretaker during general/major cleaning.  I pass on the laundering to my caretaker.  She's paid for every job done only.

Both myself & the caretaker have mastered our routine.  

Thank you,

Diana

Hi @Diana2714 😊,

Thanks for sharing your approach, you are very well organized!

How do you communicate with your caretaker? Especially since you’re managing from a distance.

How often do you wash curtains?

Warm regards 🌻

-----