Increasing maximum guest number

Answered!
Kayla417
Level 1
Neenah, WI

Increasing maximum guest number

Hi all,

Our Airbnb is currently listed to accommodate 6. However, it IS technically a 4 bedroom home and we could easily convert the office into another bedroom, allowing the space to sleep 8...while still having some space for a desk/office.

The part I'm struggling with is that the house only has one, very very small bathroom. I already feel like the bathroom is too small for 6, but the rest of the house would easily accommodate 8 comfortably.

Looking for opinions on if I keep the listing at 6 or list it at 8 and in our home description add something about the bathroom being on the small side for that many guests. I'm just concerned that if I increase accommodations, I'll hear about the bathroom size in our reviews

Thanks in advance!

1 Best Answer

@Kayla417. You have a beautifully renovated home and very reasonable rates. I dont think you can regularly attract the better paying guest groups of 8 without a second bathroom. This might work for LTR tenants looking for value for money but not STR imo. You also accept infants so extra space for them needs to be considered as this will be outside your maximum.

Re the 4th room, why not mention you have a private second living area or WFH space in your listing up front and make it an asset. Also check out the local competition to see what is being booked more often. In our area its a new build 3 bed 2 bath townhouse with great rates.

As someone who hosts 3 bed 1 bath places I know the dilemma all too well.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Kayla417  It is one thing to visit a family member and shoehorn everyone in knowing that there is just one bathroom.  We've all done it while visiting grandma.

However, a rental property that has only one bathroom and is set up to host a large number of guests is pushing the good review results.  People expect en suite bathrooms and enough extra bathrooms for each couple.   Picture the line of waiting guests while one takes that extra long shower.  

Keep your guest count to 6.  

@Kayla417. You have a beautifully renovated home and very reasonable rates. I dont think you can regularly attract the better paying guest groups of 8 without a second bathroom. This might work for LTR tenants looking for value for money but not STR imo. You also accept infants so extra space for them needs to be considered as this will be outside your maximum.

Re the 4th room, why not mention you have a private second living area or WFH space in your listing up front and make it an asset. Also check out the local competition to see what is being booked more often. In our area its a new build 3 bed 2 bath townhouse with great rates.

As someone who hosts 3 bed 1 bath places I know the dilemma all too well.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you already feel the bathroom is too small for six what is your thinking around adding another bedroom. How would it increase your guest satisfaction to squeeze eight people into a listing with just one small bathroom @Kayla417 

What are you trying to achieve? 

Thanks for the reply! 

We've had a decent amount of guests ask if we can accomodate 8. We also had a review comment on us having the ability to sleep 8. So It's something we've struggled with deciding on for a while now. Some people don't seem bothered by it. But I can see others being bothered by it.