Toilet rules ? **Sensitive topic alert

Answered!
Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Toilet rules ? **Sensitive topic alert

Hello Fellow Hosts & Guests !

We're looking for a concise statement for a small bathroom sign. We want to convey that only body waste (poo, pee, vomit) with a minimal amount of toilet paper is allowed to enter the toilet bowl.

What we don't want is an overwhelming list of 'not allowed' personal items that could get offensive, too long to read or just plain gross.

A bit of light humor is fine but nothing like body shaming jokes or weird images~

Our home is 100+ years old and though most things are up to date, plumbing is not always easily accessible. (I'm sure this is a common thread, no matter how old/new the property !) Even facial tissues don't break down well and those "flushable" wipes can wreak havoc, especially if more than one at a time are used/flushed. We've heard about the horrors of condoms, trash, band-aids and even panties being found by plumbers after a mile of snaking to eradicate a clog 😲.

So please shoot us your version of tactfulness for the toilet 🙂  Do you use a sign or mention toiletry in your house rules ?  We'd love to hear how you word it ! Thank you.  

toilet1.jpg

1 Best Answer
Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Cheri354  Cheri, I would definitely put up a nice looking sign in the bathroom that nothing but bodily waste should be flushed down the toilet. And you can add that anything else will require the services of a plumber. Very costly in my area!

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Cheri354  Cheri, I would definitely put up a nice looking sign in the bathroom that nothing but bodily waste should be flushed down the toilet. And you can add that anything else will require the services of a plumber. Very costly in my area!

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Thanks for your input !   ~Yes, it's expensive here, too 🙂

Azuka1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cheri354,

I recently travelled to Brazil and got a culture shock as they do NOT put toilet paper down their toilets - they have separate bins for them. There are also signs advising that clients are responsible for plumbing costs if a blockage occurs.

You could trial that to see how your travellers take it. It would save you a whole load of worry and although initially unsightly (because it is the first time I have experienced it), I actually think it would solve 99% of the blockage problems in public toilets in London which are absolutely 🤢both for the user and the staff that have to unblock them. 

You could invest in scented toilet bin liners or spray them with diluted essential oils.

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

@Azuka1~

WoW. Yes, that would be an awkward thing to encounter ! Of course it's expected to find differences in other countries and cultures but that's a new one for me 😲 I guess I can understand some of the reasoning for it. I like your idea for scented bags or adding oils...

Thanks for the suggestions.