blanket options for in a tropical climate

Answered!
Kim3671
Level 2
San Miguel de Cozumel, Mexico

blanket options for in a tropical climate

Hi everyone! 

We are starting out hosting on Airbnb (busy with the final touches), and I am wondering what other hosts in tropical climates use as far as blanket options for the guests?

I don't think they will use them often, but I personally like the extra weight it gives. 

Here in Mexico we don't really have duvets for inside a duvet cover like in other parts of the world. 

However, a blanket (without cover) would need to be washed after every guest, which becomes very bulky in the washing machine and will wear them down quickly I think. 

What do you use and what would you recommend?

Thanks, 

Kim

1 Best Answer

@Kim3671 @Paula 

Hola  Kim and Bernardo! 

What a beautiful home you have in Cozumel!   

We have been hosting our home in Oaxaca, Mexico for just over a year.   The climate in the City of Oaxaca is a bit different than in Cozumel.  

In Oaxaca, during the Spring and early summer it can be hot during the day, and is usually cool at night.  During the final months of the year and early part of the year it is cooler during the day and can be chilly at night.  We don't have the humidity that you experience year round in Cozumel.  

For bedding at our Oaxaca home, we use a fitted sheet, a top sheet, and  a light weight comforter and with a duvet cover.  

We have found it it's too hot, guests don't use the comforter/duvet, but it is part of the bedding if they wish. 

We found it is a bit hard to find quality light weight comforters and  duvet covers in Mexico.  We looked and looked. We ended up purchasing  ours in the US, and brought them to Mexico as we were able to find high quality bedding for a low cost. 

I have always used duvets in our home in Los Angeles, and I find them very comfortable, so using them in Oaxaca was a natural choice. 

Given that you are in a really warm climate, you might be able to just have sheets, a bedspread and blankets.  Maybe a comforter / duvet in a closet if guests need them. 

I have also written a guide for Hosts to improve their listing, it might give you a few ideas. 

The Link is:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/GUIDE-Tips-To-Improve-Your-Listing/td-p/1841028

Wishing you all the best with your Listing, I am sure you will have years of success! 

Saludos!

John 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Wen3156
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Can you  use a cover for blanket like using a duvet cover for duvet, will it keep the blanket clean and also avoid wash it too often?

I just guess. I use this way in my own house.

Kim3671
Level 2

@Wen3156 Thank you, that is a good option, and then we can keep it seperate in the closet so they can decide to use it or not. Thanks!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Kim3671 , It's great to see you posting in our community, and I'm glad you've received some very good advice from our Hosts.

While reading your post, I remembered that @John7474 has a beautiful property in Oaxaca de Juárez, Mexico. I thought he might also offer some valuable advice.

By the way, Cozumel is one of my favourite places; it's a paradise. I'm looking forward to visiting Mexico in the near future 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Look online for "thin, Summer blanket"..there are some lightweight ones made out of cotton, gauze

or muslin. A blanket can be stored for guests in a linen closet, shelf or large basket; be sure and let them know it's available if needed. Not all will take advantage (so you won't be washing it every time.) If they do use the blanket, it will likely be casually spread on top of the sheets.

Kim3671
Level 2

@Cheri354 Thank you, that is a very smart idea! 

Kim3671
Level 2

Thanks @Cheri354 , that is a very useful tip! 

@Kim3671 @Paula 

Hola  Kim and Bernardo! 

What a beautiful home you have in Cozumel!   

We have been hosting our home in Oaxaca, Mexico for just over a year.   The climate in the City of Oaxaca is a bit different than in Cozumel.  

In Oaxaca, during the Spring and early summer it can be hot during the day, and is usually cool at night.  During the final months of the year and early part of the year it is cooler during the day and can be chilly at night.  We don't have the humidity that you experience year round in Cozumel.  

For bedding at our Oaxaca home, we use a fitted sheet, a top sheet, and  a light weight comforter and with a duvet cover.  

We have found it it's too hot, guests don't use the comforter/duvet, but it is part of the bedding if they wish. 

We found it is a bit hard to find quality light weight comforters and  duvet covers in Mexico.  We looked and looked. We ended up purchasing  ours in the US, and brought them to Mexico as we were able to find high quality bedding for a low cost. 

I have always used duvets in our home in Los Angeles, and I find them very comfortable, so using them in Oaxaca was a natural choice. 

Given that you are in a really warm climate, you might be able to just have sheets, a bedspread and blankets.  Maybe a comforter / duvet in a closet if guests need them. 

I have also written a guide for Hosts to improve their listing, it might give you a few ideas. 

The Link is:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Guides/GUIDE-Tips-To-Improve-Your-Listing/td-p/1841028

Wishing you all the best with your Listing, I am sure you will have years of success! 

Saludos!

John 

Kim3671
Level 2

Hi @John7474 

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! And your kind words about our listing, we are still working on the finishing touches. 

I will read through your guide as well, any extra tips are always welcome! 

Your home looks absolutely gorgeous, hopefully we can rent it when we visit Oaxaca again, it's such a beautiful region of Mexico! 

Thanks again and have a great day!

Kim