What smart locks are you using with integration?

Answered!
Emily1764
Level 2
Rock Springs, WY

What smart locks are you using with integration?

HI! So far I have been using smart locks that I reset every time. Many of them say they are remotely settable, but they constantly disconnect until I physically go back and get on the same wifi network at the house. I have heard of integration systems that you can connect and locks that automatically generate codes for guests when they book. For those of you doing this- What systems and lock brands are you using? And have they been reliable? Thank you in advance!! 

1 Best Answer
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Hi @Emily1764

I've been using August Lock (2nd generation) that came with a little wifi box they call "connect". The lock operates both via bluetooth and wifi. 

I can add and remove users, change time frames for guests etc. It integrates with Airbnb so the message with the code goes out automatically, although I really really dislike their automated message and there is no option to edit the message or the time it goes out. 

The lock I have has been very reliable. The lock loses remote connection when the guests decide that they want to remove the little connect box from the outlet I have it plugged in behind the TV. Why anyone needs that particular outlet when there are 3 others unused, i don't know, but two guests have removed it. And one time, we had a network outage during a storm. that was the extent of losing connectivity. The best part is that it fits over your existing lock so you don't have to rekey. 

In terms of cons, August Lock is great and reliable BUT (aside from the horribly worded automated message that goes out to bookings), it's prone to user error. Meaning, whenever you use an integrated lock, there is a lag time between the keypad entry of the code and the unlocking of the door. This may be five seconds but sometimes 20 seconds or so depending on the interference at the time. Some guests, don't read the instructions of waiting to hear the unlocking sound and try to turn the knob and force the door open or enter their codes over and over again which causes the lock to become unresponsive and takes about 3-5 minutes to reset itself.

Once it reaches this level, the guests start panicking and I have to go there and open the door. This has happened 3 times. I had to go in the middle of the night to simply turn a knob, because if they actually took the time to read the instructions instead of calling me and screaming that they don't have access, they could have just turned the knob after it reset. 

As a back up, I have an old fashioned realtor lock box on the property so they have access to a physical key, but the people who have a hard time with a keypad usually have a hard time with the lock box as well. 

Nevertheless, August Lock is still the best option I've found. I also like SwitchBot but that does not integrate you have to do everything manually. 

I plan on upgrading to August Lock 4th generation which does not have a separate "connect" hub, but the lock itself connects to the internet. this would prevent guests being able to disconnect it and I'm hoping maybe also with the lag issue. 

Anyway, this is my experience with smart lock and I have been frustrated with guests not following instructions but I suppose there is no lock in the world that is prone to impatient guest errors. 

Hope you find the right one for you! 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Emily,

We have had really good luck with the Schlage Encode, especially when hooked up with our PMS, Hospitable.

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Hi @Emily1764

I've been using August Lock (2nd generation) that came with a little wifi box they call "connect". The lock operates both via bluetooth and wifi. 

I can add and remove users, change time frames for guests etc. It integrates with Airbnb so the message with the code goes out automatically, although I really really dislike their automated message and there is no option to edit the message or the time it goes out. 

The lock I have has been very reliable. The lock loses remote connection when the guests decide that they want to remove the little connect box from the outlet I have it plugged in behind the TV. Why anyone needs that particular outlet when there are 3 others unused, i don't know, but two guests have removed it. And one time, we had a network outage during a storm. that was the extent of losing connectivity. The best part is that it fits over your existing lock so you don't have to rekey. 

In terms of cons, August Lock is great and reliable BUT (aside from the horribly worded automated message that goes out to bookings), it's prone to user error. Meaning, whenever you use an integrated lock, there is a lag time between the keypad entry of the code and the unlocking of the door. This may be five seconds but sometimes 20 seconds or so depending on the interference at the time. Some guests, don't read the instructions of waiting to hear the unlocking sound and try to turn the knob and force the door open or enter their codes over and over again which causes the lock to become unresponsive and takes about 3-5 minutes to reset itself.

Once it reaches this level, the guests start panicking and I have to go there and open the door. This has happened 3 times. I had to go in the middle of the night to simply turn a knob, because if they actually took the time to read the instructions instead of calling me and screaming that they don't have access, they could have just turned the knob after it reset. 

As a back up, I have an old fashioned realtor lock box on the property so they have access to a physical key, but the people who have a hard time with a keypad usually have a hard time with the lock box as well. 

Nevertheless, August Lock is still the best option I've found. I also like SwitchBot but that does not integrate you have to do everything manually. 

I plan on upgrading to August Lock 4th generation which does not have a separate "connect" hub, but the lock itself connects to the internet. this would prevent guests being able to disconnect it and I'm hoping maybe also with the lag issue. 

Anyway, this is my experience with smart lock and I have been frustrated with guests not following instructions but I suppose there is no lock in the world that is prone to impatient guest errors. 

Hope you find the right one for you! 

Hello, I've been hosting for 2 months now and I've been using the igloo home lock box. It's been quite convenient and I can share passwords remotely and even intergrate it with Airbnb. It's made my hosting journey really simple.

I have been using the Halo touchscreen deadbolt  from Kwikset. It's Wi-Fi connected and it has been trouble free for the last several years. The app is terrific to work with. It's important to only use alkaline batteries as you can monitor the charge level. Lithium goes 100% and then just dies.

Can this be integrated with Airbnb where it sends guests codes automatically?  If so, is there another hosting system that works with it that you have to pay a monthly fee?  I currently have a yale lock but use aurmur and pay a monthly fee that works to send codes to the guest.  I have not looked into a better system in a few years, however now my lock needs to be replaced so looking for cheaper and more efficient way to handle it, thanks for any help.

Beverly