What will happen for hosts who refuse to accept the TOS change at the end of this month?

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

What will happen for hosts who refuse to accept the TOS change at the end of this month?

Sincere questions about what happens for those of us who simply cannot accept the risk of Airbnb after considering the upcoming TOS updates. If we hosts do not click the "accept" box on the updated terms can anyone answer these questions: 

1. Will bookings that start past April 28 be canceled?

2. What happens with guests who are mid-stay when the update is official but we do not accept it? Will guests who are mid-stay be sent one of those "there is a problem with your reservation so you must leave now" messages we have all heard about? 

3. Will income history be accessible or hidden? 

I have almost 10,000 reviews and discontinuing use of this platform is not a decision I take lightly. For anyone who has not yet read about this, reference my other post https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Another-update-which-will-increase-guest-refund-requests...

7 Replies 7
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Mary419   As I understand it and in my experience with similar issues you have three options.  Option 1,  Accept the new terms,  Option 2, Don’t accept and ignore, in which case it will be ‘assumed’ that you have accepted by continuing to use Airbnb and 3) Remove your listing if you don’t agree.   I would assume, that if you decide not to accept and move onto other platforms then you will have to cancel upcoming reservations and take the penalties applied.  

I plan to continue with Airbnb until the end of October for the moment in order to honour my existing reservations.  We snooze for the winter months anyway, and I also want to give things a ‘chance’ and see how the new policy works.  However, the minute I feel as though I have been ‘scammed’ and Airbnb take the guests side without addressing the issue properly, then I will probably leave then

@Mary419 

From what I've read, once a host accepts the new TOS, those new TOS will only apply to reservations made on or after April 29th. As long as the host doesn't accept any new reservation on or after that date, the previous TOS would apply. On April 28th, couldn't a host block their calendar and leave all current reservations as is?

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Thanks. That’s probably what I’ll do. I just went through my listings and realize I’ve already accomplished a complete shift for about half of them. I thankfully started moving my eggs from the one basket in December. 

Might I ask what basket you are moving them into?

@Mary419 The new draconian refund policy does not make any sense. Personally, I will snooze my listings not accept any more booking requests, honor existing bookings, and once it's done, cancel my account

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Airbnb Updated TOS. Sorry don’t know how to post link on phone. I did post a link earlier. Hope this helps. Appreciate you sharing your strategies and experience. I only have one apartment. @Mary419 

710AC9F6-C48B-4C2C-8B02-DA69C3678B4B.png

Here is link but not sure if it will work. Scroll down to end of overview of updates about a page or two under Common Questions.https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2877/about-the-updates-to-our-terms?c=.pi80.pkdG9zL3RvczIwMjJfcm...