what type of bedding to manage laundry?

Answered!
Gisele172
Level 1
Sanford, FL

what type of bedding to manage laundry?

Hello, I'm new and so far the biggest challenge is making my cleaning team happy. Our listing is along the river in Florida and our house is set up for 10 guests. Same-day flip takes my cleaners 9 hours with all the wash. Think 10 beach towels and 20 of each bath, hands, and face towels. All beds have duvets, duvet covers, and fleece blankets. Cleaners mention duvets are very time-consuming. Fleece blankets take a long time to dry. I also have quilts but I have a harder time finding some looking stunning. what would you suggest would make laundry faster? thank you so much!

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Gisele172  For same day flips have a complete changeover set available so that laundry can be taken off-site and done before the next changeover.  I have done this for years and while housekeeping does do laundry while on-site, having a good portion ready for a quick change makes things go faster.  Nine hours is quite a long time -- when do your guests have to leave and the next guests come in?

I pay my housekeeper a flat rate for laundry done off site to compensate for her time and the use of her washer and dryer.  I provide the cleaning products.  If you have access to a laundry service where she can drop off the linens, pay for the delivery and pickup.  

Tip:  In order to keep the duvets from having to be washed each time, double cover them -- I have plain duvet covers that act as an extra layer of protection and wash the outer covers for each changeover.  I also have extra duvets that are put in the rotation if the duvets themselves also need to be washed.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Natasha590
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

I'm a new host too but only max occupancy of 5. Personally I find it much easier and faster to dress with quilts/coverlets but I'm also having a hard time finding modern styles. For kids beds I use just simple bed in a bag type blankets. 

The thing that is helping me most is having 2 or 3 sets of blankets, kitchen and bath towels/ cloths. This way I only have to wash the lighter throw blankets, beach towels and sheets. I also have a back up set of sheets in case there is damage or I'm short on time. 

Thanks for your answer @Natasha590  and best of success for your new rental. Yes I also have 3 sets of each. The problem is my house gets constantly rented with frequent same day flip and the hours long of laundry are endless.  I guess it is a good problem to have, ha ha

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gisele172 if you have duvets then why do you need blankets as well? For our turnovers we wash the towels, bath mats etc but send the sheets, pillow case, and duvet covers to the launderette. It makes for a sensible amount of changeover work.

thanks for your reply. I have a blanket per bed since everyone has different sleeping preferences. When the AC is on for them, some will be cold, others hot. This is my thought but maybe I should kind of hide that blanket. You are right, the majority of rentals don't offer blankets and only a few hotels have blankets. thanks!

@Gisele172 Hide/remove the blanket or you are just encouraging the madness of running the aircon cold to keep warm with a blanket!

I remember it took me ages to remember you need to take a sweater with you to go to American restaurants in the summer because they are sooo cold.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Gisele172  For same day flips have a complete changeover set available so that laundry can be taken off-site and done before the next changeover.  I have done this for years and while housekeeping does do laundry while on-site, having a good portion ready for a quick change makes things go faster.  Nine hours is quite a long time -- when do your guests have to leave and the next guests come in?

I pay my housekeeper a flat rate for laundry done off site to compensate for her time and the use of her washer and dryer.  I provide the cleaning products.  If you have access to a laundry service where she can drop off the linens, pay for the delivery and pickup.  

Tip:  In order to keep the duvets from having to be washed each time, double cover them -- I have plain duvet covers that act as an extra layer of protection and wash the outer covers for each changeover.  I also have extra duvets that are put in the rotation if the duvets themselves also need to be washed.

Thanks for your reply @Lorna170  as that is very helpful. I love the idea of double covers for duvet inserts. Thank you!

Lisa1247
Level 4
Brewer, ME

@Gisele172 I eliminated duvets.  I tried them, got rid of them.  I cant imagine many hosts still using them. What a massive time consumption and they get so hot.  

I'm in Maine so we use slightly heavier blankets, but I use Velux blankets, not the creepy 60's kind, but a very durable commercial quality.  For sheets, I absolutely do NOT sure microfiber.  I also do NOT use 100% cotton, which easily stains and has to get damaged out.  I use a commercial quality polyester/cotton blend (white!!) sheets, they feel like high quality cotton, but wash nicely, almost always come clean, but you still have to stain treat makeup before washing.

I also found some nice towels from Sams Club that are a poly/cotton.  now I used to use a super fancy thick full cotton (also Sams Club) but if they got stained, which happened frequently, stains do not come out of cotton.  These poly/cotton, stains come out easily, and the dryer time is a lot less.  They are in the commercial restaurant aisle at Sams Club in bundles, not sold singly.  They are little thinner.

I get black washcloths.  Do not mess with white washcloths at all.  I have a few that are embroilered "Makeup" and that's very cute but unnessessary.  If they are all black, you don't need the embroidered ones.  

Of course I have racks of multiple extras.  You are going to need replacements, for damaged out laundry, and rotation.  Not just a changeover set.  You need to be prepared x 10.