SUPERHOSTS - HELP OUR FELLOW HOSTS IN UKRAINE SUFFERING FROM THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF WAR

Answered!
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

SUPERHOSTS - HELP OUR FELLOW HOSTS IN UKRAINE SUFFERING FROM THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF WAR

I've seen on some FB hosts groups that Superhosts who haven't yet 'spent' their $100 dollar Airbnb reward voucher are booking accommodation with UKRAINE hosts with the voucher.

This means that these hosts will have some guaranteed income  from the vouchers at a time of uncertainty and horror in their lives.

A small gesture from the Airbnb community   that all SH could consider. I will certainly be doing this. 

You can of course cancel at the last minute and the host will still be paid. 

Would Airbnb consider helping hosts in UKRAINE by not charging their fee for any accommodation booking in the country over the next few months @Stephanie  @Nick @Catherine-Powell ????

162 Replies 162
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 I fear not charging commission for a few months will save the hosts absolutely nothing as I can't believe many are able to take bookings.

That said I love the voucher idea and wonder if Airbnb would allow us all to donate our coupons and pass the money to Ukranian hosts without the need to make a false booking. Over to you @Catherine-Powell 

The Vouchers don't translate to liquid cash Airbnb can donate. Totally different divisions of Airbnb. 

I agree with Helen and book a no show. I am doing it now.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This is a brilliant idea,  @Helen3 . I wouldn't call it a false booking though @Mike-And-Jane0 , it just a normal booking that is a no show.

Angela1056
Level 10
Linarolo, Italy

Thank you @Helen3 for this great idea! I just spent my voucher for a reservation in Kiew and told the host that I don't need a check-in but I'll be there with my mind and my heart.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

It would also seem that many Airbnb Hosts who are either not Superhosts or don’t have a voucher currently are using their own money to make reservations and letting the hosts know that they will not be checking in.  Accommodation in the Ukraine with Airbnb’s is not that expensive and it is a way to get some badly needed cash into the pockets of those desperately in need who also lost their income overnight and will still have bills to pay and food to buy.

Please someone explain how do the host get money when the country is at war ax nd banks are closed

@Rita2264 I don't know to what extent the banking system is or is not working in Ukraine. I do know that many Ukranian hosts have thanked their non-guests profusely and many have actually then donated the money to other people such as orphans.

As the situation gets worse in Ukraine I suspect money is the least of their problems as food is in short supply and the Russians are bombing indiscriminately but at least it will be there for them when the situation recovers.

The most important thing I am seeing from hosts responses is that they appreciate that so many people in the world are supporting them.

Hi Rita, 

Some cities in Ukraine are still safe more or less. Who could avacuated to that places can take money by western union from banks wich are still working. 

My family left the Kiev and stay in Svalyava, which is west part of Ukraine and close to board . For now it's safe more or less thanks God.  And we can stay here , money we got helped a lot. And we helps to our relatives and friends who stay now in cities with dificult situations.   To pay volunteer who can help to find medicine for retired people, who has diabetes like my mom ets.. 

We got money here in Zacarpatie  and send to Ukrainian families ( Ukrainians debit cards) money who lost their houses etc...  who avacuated here.. and its difcult for them to stay in different city without support, especially who had children. 

Most Ukrainian hosts are helping to other Ukrainians with that money which we got from guest through the Airbnb. Which we really appreciate 🙏

And we really hope this war will finish soon and we can return to our native place , to our life's. 

The Ukraine banking system is all things considered thriving. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 I've made my booking. Bizarrely the first booking I have made on Airbnb and we are not even going!

Difficult to choose who to book with so I avoided the multi listing hosts and booked with a chap who rents a room in his flat in the centre of Kyiv. 

Ya it was tough picking one. I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled to get someone with not many reviews and low down on the listings.  Funny part was by the time I completed my booking, someone else had booked the same dates so I changed mine by a week. I’m hoping it was someone doing the same as I was. Be interesting g to see if she responds in the morning. What a wonderful idea. 

This is so thoughtful of you. Those of us having few or no reviews say a big thank you. @Willene1 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 In an attempt to keep this thread at the top of the posts I attach the response from my 'host' in Kyiv. I just hope they and their property survive to host people in the future. We should also give thanks for the internet as it allows us to communicate directly into a war zone.

Alex

Hello guys!
Thank you so much for your support in these hard times! It really means the world for us!!
We are in Ukraine and we will stay here till all the madness is over. And I hope to meet you guys some day at my beautiful home in Kyiv:)

Допоможіть боротьбі проти російської агресії тільки разом ми переможемо. Я є військовослужбовець і нам не вистачає засобів боротьби з загарбниками не будьте байдужими. Слава Україні.