100+ new tools, features, and upgrades based on feedback from our Host community

Airbnb
Official Account

100+ new tools, features, and upgrades based on feedback from our Host community

Airbnb2021_Release_YT _Thumbnail_1280x720_2x.png

We believe that the biggest travel rebound in a century is coming, and we want to help you get ready for it! We’ve introduced more than 100 changes to the app, website, and Community Support to help you take advantage of this unique opportunity—and manage your day-to-day tasks more easily. 

Here are some of the most important changes:

• A more intuitive and consistent experience across the app and website
  • A new homepage for Hosts called the Today tab 
  • A faster, searchable inbox featuring new time-saving tools and features 
  • An up-leveled Community Support team, as well as Dedicated Superhost Support 
  • Automated Arrival Guides for guests 

You can read more details about what’s new here.

Have you already noticed changes in your tools? Which improvements are you most looking forward to?

Posted on Monday 24th May 2021

169 Replies 169
Carl6407
Level 1
Barry, United Kingdom

Still blocking guests' photos from hosts (though not vice-versa, at least), so no progress all as far as I'm concerned. Was always happy to welcome strangers into my house before, but now the strangers are faceless I'm never comfortable about accepting bookings. Absolutely absurd and dysfunctional policy, and none of Airbnb's attempts to explain it make any kind of sense. Used to be a Superhost, but it's all too stressful now. 

I have been complaining about that forever, still needs to change back. I wonder how we could ever make it happen. Just seeing a face even helps in how you might communicate with a guest, etc., and of course, it is my house, I want to see who I am allowing on my property. It is truly unfair and will always be a huge annoyance. And they do it because they think we will discriminate! That is kind of insulting, huh?

Unfortunately, I think there's pretty clear evidence that some people do.  That's why they changed the policy.

My thoughts safety, safety,  safety  on faceless photos or of animals.  I've often  thought my  greeting should be  wolf wolf or meow if they don't send a photo of themselves when asked to replace the animal photo.. I think this is a safety issue for the hosts if they are single hosts sharing their home.

@Laurelle3 - I rent a room in my home and am a single woman.  I've never had a problem (and have had many male guests).  My rule of thumb (?) is that if I have even a shred of discomfort about someone I decline the booking.   One way to protect yourself is to require advance communication before you book.  That allows you to find out more about the guest and their expectations (you can tell a lot from the way someone communications)  and that can do a lot to put you at ease.  If they don't communicate well or don't respond and are new to Airbnb and you're uneasy, don't accept them.

Hi Rae, I have the same situation as you and do exactly the same. It’s eliminated a lot of headaches. 

I don't want to see their pictures - just their reviews and where they are from. How does a photo help you?

Jamie206
Level 10
Pooler, GA

Always a load of nonsense and still no way to charge a security deposit...

@Jamie206 - I don't mean to sound like an apologist for AirBnB (there are many issues I'd like them to resolve - like being able to add a monthly cleaning fee or capping their fees so  that long-term renters don't get slammed with usurious fees )  but you can charge a security deposit.  I do.  Go to your dashboard and see how you set up your listing and fees.   You can set it there.  I've never had to claim damages, so not sure how it works, but you can do it and they charge the guest for it and don't release it until they've been checked out and reviewed.

Nope, they don't do anything. I have always had that feature, if you can call it that, turned on for all our properties. They're not pre charging a deposit, so there's zero incentive for people to behave. I have seen some bigger companies making folks do a separate deposit through their own website, but it's more reservation steps and annoying for guests

@Rae541  The Airbnb security deposit is bogus. They do not charge it to the guest when they book, they do not put a hold on the funds, they do not charge it to the guest if they cause damages. It is all smoke and mirrors.

You have to ask the guest to pay for damages. Guests generally refuse to do so. So then you have to start a claim with Airbnb, submitting endless documentation, it takes months and you will most likely be denied or offered a fraction of what the damages cost to repair or replace.

Oh, and if you do ask the guest to pay for damages, they will pretty much guaranteed retaliate by leaving you a 1* rating and a review filled with lies. Which Airbnb will refuse to remove.

good to know!  thanks. 

Sharyn5
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

This is all true.  It's why I say that Airbnb favors the guests.  In several years of hosting here, I've had a few nut cases.  One person smoked in my non-smoking apartment for 3 weeks.  I had to have the furniture sent out for cleaning, but it still smelled.  I had to repaint the apartment.  I think they should allow the OWNER of the property to collect the security deposit and state clearly how a guest might lose their money...like smoking in my property!  Airbnb could always cancel the account of hosts who are clearly abusing this feature.

Thomas-and-Soviana0
Level 9
Bali, Indonesia

I think that guests would love to be able to filter on if the pool is private or not. It makes a big difference.

One change I've noticed is several more reminders that guests will be arriving, beginning 8 days before arrival, continuing until the day of. These are redundant and difficult if one is hosting several properties or has many guests. Even more inconvenient, in my time zone these messages arrive at 7 a.m.--too early to be sending a reminder, especially an unnecessary reminder. Hope you can time these better in the future. Thanks.