Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Airbnb
Official Account

Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Untitled.jpg

As our partners on Airbnb, Hosts do an incredible job of honoring reservations and going above and beyond to support guests every day. That’s why guests from around the world trust complete strangers with some of the most important days of their lives—from summer vacations and staycations to honeymoons and anniversary celebrations. 

But when Hosts cancel on guests for preventable reasons—like accidentally double-booking or wanting to host friends and family instead—guests lose the confidence to book on Airbnb, and this impacts all Hosts and hurts our entire community. 

Starting August 22, 2022, we’re updating our Host Cancellation Policy. The existing policy has been in place for many years and included small fees if you had to cancel a reservation. 

Get the full details on the Resource Center.

188 Replies 188
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Sooooo....
When did we become partners?
Stephanie365_0-1658463818455.png
Because according to the ToS, we're not.

Stephanie365_1-1658463853389.png

So does this mean the policy is invalid since ToS says we're NOT partners?
Or can I collect a chunk of that $1.51 billion that ABB made off my blood, sweat and tears in the first quarter of 2022 because we are.

Can't have your cake....

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephanie365 

Thanks for this - I've asked if we can get some clarification on this.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@@Stephanie365 they don’t mean partners like people who actually get a vote. It’s just a label they stole from Vrbo. And Vrbo didn’t really mean people who get a vote either. 
but really if you’re going to call someone “partner” you should at least try to act like you’re listening & acting on some of what they’d like you to. Bc if really your relationship is more like dictator or feudal lord then calling the peasants partners may just tick them off. 

@Kelly149  I am a stickler for details in language. If you are going to refer to me in your written policy as a partner, then I want to be treated as one. Including having a say in how things are done.

If I'm not a partner, then don't use that word. 

Of course the ToS also says, "AirBNB does not direct or control your host services" and we hosts "have complete discretion whether and when to provide Host services, at what price and on what terms."

Yet all these punitive and restrictive policies that AirBNB is implementing are in direct violation of their own ToS because they ARE directing and controlling us and we do NOT have complete discretion whether or not to provide a service nor can we set our terms (such as charging a security deposit).

Marina1433
Level 2
Turin, Italy

Yesterday, my channel manager and VRBO calendar didnt match up, so i had to cancel a 1500€ reservation due the day after tomorrow because overbooking. On the new rules, I should have paid 750€ to the guests because, AIRBNB says, it was an avoidable issue. I have seven apartments on four OTA, with different rates. i cannot avoid to use a channel manager, but somehow I am responsible for misalignments between other OTA and a program I didnt write. 

Moreover, long staying young people tend to live in quite savage ways. Eight months ago, a couple of young students came to my house for a few months. They NEVER OPENED A WINDOW. Lined their wet clothes inside. The window glasses were crying with condensation. Of course you will get mold. Under the new rules, I should have paid them for the discomfort of damaging my propriety (how can you demonstrate they never opened a window? With much more difficulty than just taking a pic of mold on a ceiling, Id say).

Lastly, I spoke to a rep that told me that these new rules will also impact instant bookings as well, which will eliminate the only useful perk in a frankly risky business proposition. I asked another rep for double checking, but if it like  that, I will remove all instant booking from all my listings on Aug 21st, and I will bring my business elsewhere if reservations on Airbnb will suffer.

Airbnb IT Bugs will now mean that we are penalised - how is that fair?

There is a known (by Airbnb) bug in relation to my listings, which are x4 and linked, that the calendar cannot link x4 listings (if memory serves me well, it tops out at x2).

Therefore when a booking is made not all calendars can update automatically as the Airbnb link can not do the job. Two calendars have to be done manually - this is known and has not been solved for 4years+ (to my knowledge). 

Clearly there can be a time delay (if you are not in-front of a pc) to manually block the dates on the other two calendars.

This manual process is further exacerbated by the fact that the manual block in itself has a bug on the site, insofar as it doesn't always take / you have to logout and then log back in to see if has worked.

So from what I understand I will be penalised for cancelling a booking if I have not manually blocked one of the unlinkable calendars - how is that fair?

-Ben
UK
Superhost

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Ben454 

Thanks for leaving your feedback about this.

I have asked the question, and I'll let you know if I get any updates.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ben454,

You are correct that the linked calendar feature is limited to blocking calendars between a primary listing and  individual secondary listings, but you can use the sync calendar function to block calendars between the secondary listings.

For example, if you have a house with four bedrooms, and want to rent it in these configuration:

1. Full house (primary listing) - blocks calendar on all secondary listings.
  2. Three bedroom (secondary listing linked to primary listing) - blocks calendar on primary listing, not other secondary listings.
  3. Two bedroom (secondary listing linked to primary listing) - blocks calendar on primary listing, not other secondary listings.
  4. One bedroom (secondary listing linked to primary listing) - blocks calendar on primary listing, not other secondary listings.

Workaround - use sync calendar function to synchronize secondary calendars.  Airbnb is the only platform that I know of that allows inter-syncing of calendars on its platform.  Syncing is scheduled, and doesn't instantaneously block calendars like linked servers, but it's usually done every 2 to 6 hours unless manually sync'd beforehand.

1. Three bedroom - sync with two bedroom and one bedroom configurations.
  2. Two bedroom - sync with three bedroom and one bedroom configurations.
  3. One bedroom - sync with three bedroom and two bedroom configurations.

Matteo261
Level 2
Turin, Italy

What a mess! This is really unfair, I was not expecting this kind of roules from Airbnb!! Every host will complain from all over the world!!

Donald-And-Tania0
Level 3
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

I have been a host since 2013, and have watched with increasing dismay as Airbnb has tried every possible way to treat hosts with something approaching contempt. I am constantly pressed to do Instant Book. Why would I want to just let anyone come and stay in my house without knowing a bit about them? Now they want to penalise me for cancelling, when on one hand they tell me I'm in "Control". I'm a super host and wouldn't dream of cancelling on a whim, but just occasionally there might be a family issue unrelated to being ill (a doctor's note? what planet are they on?). I'm considering de listing one of my rooms. (I list 3). A much fairer system would be to allow, say 2 cancellations in a 12 month period, and if you go above 2, go for a big penalty with a third infringement.  It just looks like a cynical attempt to make more money for Airbnb, and makes hosts wonder if they are really valued.

As a host who is sometimes a guest, I would no longer book with Airbnb if every host could just cancel penalty free a couple times a year. Imagine showing up in Kelowna, BC (38 degrees celsius) on a long weekend with three kids in the minivan just to find out your host decided to take some time off.  If you can find a room, you're going to pay 500 dollars for a suite with a bedroom. Airbnb won't reimburse you. I'd prefer it if Airbnb vetted their hosts more, but this is a step toward making guests feel more confident when they book. As a host, I have back up plans to my back up plans to cover my guests in case something in my life goes awry...

And yet guests can cancel penalty free and screw the host in the process....

@Stephanie365 

Out of curiosity, what penalty does AirBnb impose upon ITSELF for unexplained late payments to hosts?

12 days and counting since I opened my home, spent additional sums to host exceptionally, earned a rave review, then  went on to welcome my next 3 sets of guests.  No reputable business operates like this.  Imagine the penalties AirBnb would impose upon a HOST if we just “delayed” hosting  a reservation for 12 days with no explanation.  Beginning to suspect this is NOT a healthy relationship, she typed ironically. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Holly279 Sorry to hear you're waiting for this payout for a little while now! Have you had a chance to contact the Support team to see what's holding it up? 

I'll nudge them for you as well so someone can look into it further. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie 
Hi Emilie,

Thanks for your response  - if AirBnb’s CS possessed  your knowledge, clarity,  and desire to assist, Hosts would feel far more confident in their interactions with them. 

Yes, I’ve contacted The Support Team twice regarding the missing payment:

at 7 days late their response was  “it can’t be investigated until 8/10” with no explanation. When contacted again on 8/10 - there was no reply.
Still no reply at 2 weeks late. 

This is the 3rd late or missing payment issue I’ve experienced in the past year.

If you have just a moment, perhaps take a look at my listing  - and my reviews -  to determine if this response - or lack there of - seems appropriate.

If AirBnb can delay payment for my completed services,  clearly contradicting their established host payment policy - without explanation, without apology, and without ANY consequence for their failing - how can they conceivably justify assigning penalties to hosts for legitimate cancelations?  It’s woefully inequitable - and inappropriately punitive. 

But, again, I do appreciate your inquiry about my missing payment. 
 It’s appreciated.