Host questions answered: Airbnb’s Summer Release

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Host questions answered: Airbnb’s Summer Release

404769105_0556.jpg

Updated Jun 19, 2022

Just to share a quick update that we have created the promised Resource Center guidelines for listing descriptions has been published and you can read it here.

Hi Hosting Community, 

A month ago, we introduced the Airbnb 2022 Summer Release with a new way to search designed around Airbnb Categories

Since then, we’ve gathered feedback from thousands of Hosts through our Community Center, Host Clubs, emails, and in workshops with the Host Advisory Board and Host leaders. Thank you for your valuable comments and suggestions. 

Today, we want to share an update on some of the important feedback you’ve shared.  More updates will follow. 

You can read about them here.

Please continue to share your ideas and feedback as it directly assists in how we evolve our platform. 

Your continued support, feedback and constructive thoughts on this and many of our release features is incredibly valuable and I encourage you to continue sharing here.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

258 Replies 258

Gorgeous property.  This is unbelievable.

Marc823
Level 3
Cocoa Beach, FL

If we are trusted to add things to our listing like "has 3 beds/pool/hot tub" because a guest will complain and write a review saying we lied on our listing, Airbnb should trust us to attach ourselves to the correct Categories without waiting on the algorithm robot to figure it out. Over a month later, it still hasn't come close. Otherwise, this feature should not have gone live until we were all in the correct Categories! 

Also, if our titles are "too long" then change the maximum we're able to enter!

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There already was a maximum!! That explanation by Air was completely spurious. 

Kevin129
Level 6
Hove, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  @Catherine-Powell  @Emilie 

Hopefully you can pass these comments up to product team... ?

1. Thanks - it's a relief that we are getting our listing titles back although I share the frustration of many hosts that they were removed in the first place.

2. Could we please have the review count added back to the search pages? We have spent years building up our review count and scores and that is what guests want to see. A score of 5 after 1 review and a score of 5 after 100 reviews are quite different. 

3. Could you please reinstate the superhost tag on the search page? Now I often see "Rare find" on my listings. That makes it look as though I am not a superhost. I guess this implies that my listings are mostly booked but that should not count against me, should it?

4. The split stay icons are larger and more prominent that a non-split stay. This is the wrong way round. Guests on a long stay look carefully at a listing, reading reviews, checking amenities, then communicating with host etc... They don't want to do this twice unless they have to. Split stays should be more in the background as an option when a guest can't find a complete stay. At the moment they dominate the map. 

5. When a guest chooses a location and dates the categories appear still. The guest naturally imagines these are filters that they can use to narrow down their search results. However, when you click on them they can take you to a different country. It is a very counterintuitive design. The page should only show the categories that exist in the area you have chosen and for the dates you have selected. That is how all filtering works. E.g. Amazon, Ebay, etc... 

6. This is not related to the most recent release, but can we please have reviews in reverse date order? That is what everyone expects. Sometimes my most recent reviews are pages and pages back behind reviews from 2015. It makes it look as if I haven't been booked recently when I have been fully booked. 

7. Again this is not related to the most recent release but currently I have to ask guests to write how long they stay in their review because the review doesn't give that information. It would be great for a review for a stay of 6 months to recognisable as a stay of 6 months. I almost only have long-term guests and I know they like to read reviews for other long-term guests to help them make a decision.  There is some kind of long-term tag that has been introduced recent but apparently the guest has to choose it. Of course, they don't always remember or even notice it. Surely it's not a choice, it's just a fact like the date of the stay. Also, the system hasn't been backdated so now stays from the past that were many months long don't show up as long stays. Quite frustrating. 

8. Categories - I think the only really relevant category for my listings would be home working as my rooms are set up for long stays for people working or studying. I couldn't find a category for this which seems like an omission. Surely more people are looking for accommodation where they can work remotely that are looking for a grand piano? 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kevin129 Thank you for summarising your suggestions so clearly and constructively, really appreciate it.

I'm happy to read you're pleased the Host-written listing titles are coming back, and have shared the rest of your feedback with the team. As you might have read in this article several of the points you mentioned (review count display, new Categories, the overall booking experience) are things we're exploring. We'll bring you more news in July. 🙂

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kevin129 wrote:

There is some kind of long-term tag that has been introduced recent but apparently the guest has to choose it. Of course, they don't always remember or even notice it. Surely it's not a choice, it's just a fact like the date of the stay. Also, the system hasn't been backdated so now stays from the past that were many months long don't show up as long stays. Quite frustrating. 

I didn't know about this long term tag. Could you please explain in more detail? I also host long term guests, so this is quite relevant to me. I normally mention the length of stay in the response to the review so that potential guests can see this information, e.g. "Susan stayed with me for six weeks, during which time she was a pleasure to host." You might find that easier than having to ask each guest to mention it in their review.

@Kevin129 wrote:

8. Categories - I think the only really relevant category for my listings would be home working as my rooms are set up for long stays for people working or studying. I couldn't find a category for this which seems like an omission. Surely more people are looking for accommodation where they can work remotely that are looking for a grand piano? 

I only fit into the 'shared homes' category, but my listings don't show up on the map unless I put in specific dates. Then, only one out of the three shows up, even if I zoom in on my street. I literally have to zoom in to my actual house for the others to appear. 

There used to be a filter for home working. I can't remember what it was called. I wasn't aware that that filter had gone. Although many of my guests work or study from home, I never qualified for that anyway due to the smoking policy (smoking is allowed in some areas, but not the spaces where guests work, so not sure why that was relevant. One would think it would be more relevant to families with children, for example) so it's not something I kept an eye on.

Kevin129
Level 6
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0 

Sorry for not replying earlier. 

Long stay tag was visible on some of the reviews for my listings a few weeks ago.

I was going to screenshot it so you could see what it looked like but curiously it has vanished now.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kevin129 

That's interesting. I have been hosting long term stays for years now and don't remember ever seeing that tag on any of my reviews...

Kevin129
Level 6
Hove, United Kingdom

They are mentioned here: 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2658/what-are-review-tags#:~:text=The%20tags%20that%20you%20ma...

I first saw them sometime this year but it seems that they have been withdrawn already. 

It was a strange idea to have guests choose if their stay was "long stay" or not when "long stay" means 28 nights or longer on the rest of the platform. 

I sense it might be complete chaos in AirBnb these days! 

Great points!

Ditto!

Not showing the number of reviews is a huge slap in the face for all of us who have worked so, so hard for our hundreds of reviews!  

The guest imagines that categories are filters.  That this is not so, is misleading to the guest!!! You should put a disclaimer saying "these are properties Airbnb Artificial Intelligence has picked for you, this is not a filter!"

Having guest stay duration appear in the review is a great idea!   People staying 2 nights need completely different things than people staying 3 weeks, or 6 months!

Please take all of this into account airbnb!

Matta1
Level 4
United States

I agree on adding back the review count as it represents proven hosts; blood, sweat, and tears to ensure an outstanding experience. It is the sum of our efforts and proof of long-term excellence (many times I have issued refunds or dropped off a gift for falling short in some minor area). 

As a guest it is also my most important consideration as I’ve been burned taking risks on unproven hosts and properties.  

As a shareholder (yes I do believe in this company), I appreciate the intent to broaden Airbnbs reach, to entice people to destinations unknown …but please balance that with the fact that we have proven hosts generating excellent cash flow and building the brand and our net promoter score. It is these individuals that seem most negatively impacted by the release. Let’s do more to care for and support our highest performing hosts.

thank you

well said and thank you

Jillie0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Like all the other hosts in this thread,  I have tried to reach out to the support team to sort out the problems with this system update and my concerns have been brushed aside.

It seems ridiculous to me that the search option for guests was launched before the AI process of allocating categories had been completed and hosts had had sufficient opportunity and time to correct the categories their property had been moved to.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jillie0 

If by support team you mean Airbnb customer services, I am afraid you will not get any help from them on this particular problem because they are simply outsourced call centre staff who have no influence nor power to change anything. They are simply there to field calls, try to get rid of the complainant as quickly as possible, and if you won't go away, they will then pass you on to someone else who will be out of the office for the next few days while a BOT tries to get you to close the case as 'resolved'.