Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

Airbnb
Official Account

Make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature

What brings you to the area? Who are you coming with? When do you think you’ll arrive? Airbnb hosts have a number of questions swirling through their minds when they receive a booking. And many hosts take the opportunity to get to know their potential guests by asking these questions before guests book instantly. It’s not required, of course; but, adding questions to a pre-booking message can help drum up more information about potential guests, simplify the booking process, and ensure a great relationship with guests from the start.

Next month, Airbnb is launching an improved feature: pre-booking message. It’s a better way for hosts to add a greeting and ask all of the questions you want before guests book instantly. (You’ll have plenty of room, too, because we’ve increased the character count. And if you currently use welcome message, there’s no need to change anything.) Your potential guests will read your message while they’re booking, and be able to respond to your questions before confirming their reservation.

Here are some ways to make the most of Airbnb’s pre-booking message feature.

5 pre-booking message tips from fellow hosts

1. Start by thanking your potential guest

“I think it's a good way to build trust and a way to encourage a good stay,” said host Juan, of Colombia.

• I always thank them for their booking request and ask them to ensure they have read the listing details and house rules carefully for suitability.—Kath, Albany, Australia
  • Warm greetings! I welcome you to this space that I take care of with affection. It’s a place of well-being and for those of you who like to connect with nature.
    • What brings you to this area?
    • Who are you traveling with?
    • What time do you think you will arrive?
    • Why do you want to stay in the cottage?"—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • We're excited for your stay and we’d like to know:
    • What's bringing you to Durham?
    • What time can we commit with you for check in?
    • Who is traveling with you?
    • If you plan on taking breakfast with us, do you have any dietary considerations we need to be aware?
  • Do you have any questions about the House Rules? We look forward to hearing from you!—Alice + Jeff, Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A.

2. Ask about what’s most important

Think about the one thing that would make a great (or not-so-great) stay for you and your guests, and ask them about it in your pre-booking message, like these hosts do:

• The most important question for me is: What brings you to the area? This helps me better prepare for their visit. If they are coming to visit a destination two hours away from my town, I want to help them understand the distance and the drive time. If they are coming to celebrate an anniversary or something special, I want to congratulate them and leave them something small. If they are coming for a local event, I might give them a tip or recommend a good place for dinner afterwards.—Emilia, Orono, Maine, U.S.A.
  • I ask them what time they are arriving (super important) and reiterate my earliest check-in time, adding that every Airbnb is different and not like a hotel.—Ange, New York, New York, U.S.A.

3. Invite guests to re-read the listing and House Rules

When writing your pre-booking message, take the opportunity to remind guests of any crucial listing details they may have missed. “I put myself in the guest’s shoes,” French host Marie Line said. “Sometimes we are so happy to have found the apartment of our dreams that we hurry to reserve it—I once booked an apartment without realizing sheets weren’t provided! So, I think if the hosts had invited me to read their listing again, I wouldn't have made that kind of mistake." Other hosts offer these suggestions:

• I remind them about the three floors with no elevator, which some people have discovered when they arrive!—Beatrice, Annecy, France
  • I warn them about the potential lack of water at night due to limited service in the area and offer to collect water if they need it.—Juan, Medellín, Colombia
  • I ask them if they understood that I live in an inner city area that can be scruffy in parts.—Helen, Bristol, England
  • I ask them if they understand the apartment setting and clear the view with them, as we have both lake- and garden-view apartments.—Ana, Ohrid, Macedonia
  • I also remind them of the house rules regarding no smoking, no pets, no parties and no more than six people allowed to stay at the property. I explain that this information will help me determine if our listing is a good fit for their group.—Linda + Richard, San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.

4. Get to know your guests

To customize your hospitality and let guests know you care, hosts recommend asking questions like these:

• I ask if they are coffee drinkers—medium or dark roast—and if they are, I pick up some freshly-roasted coffee prior to their arrival. If there is any construction happening in the neighborhood, I disclose it prior to accepting the booking. If guests are bringing a car, I discourage it because of parking restrictions, cost, and traffic. Finally, I mention our No. 1 tourist attraction and tell my guests to buy a ticket at least 2 months in advance. This way, they realize I'm thinking of their needs even prior to their arrival.—Donna, San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
  • Every time I book, I ask the guests the same questions and about children: What time will you arrive? How many beds do you want? Do you need a cot or high chair?—Jean-Pierre, Monès, France
  • We live in a small farming and tourist town, so I always ask guests if they have been to our town before. If not, I will offer some info on restaurants and hours of operation as well as local amenities. I always help guests plan their activities if needed.—Daphne, Montagu, South Africa

5. Showcase your hosting style

Some hosts ask a lot of pre-booking questions while others ask none. Hosts recommend reflecting your hosting style—whether it be laid back or strict—when you’re asking questions in your pre-booking message. This will also help guests determine if it’s the right fit:

• I ask no questions at all. I would feel very inconsiderate if I asked the purpose of the trip. Since the guests do not live with me in an apartment, it is none of my business.—Ilona, Torremolinos, Spain.
  • Most of my guests are pretty informative in their booking request, but if their initial message is brief, I'll ask these mandatory questions:
    • Have you thoroughly read through the entire listing description, scrolling through to the bottom to read House Rules?
    • Are you prepared to abide by the house rules and be respectful of the accommodation?
    • Have you asked any questions you may have before committing to a booking?
    • Do you understand the importance of communicating your ETA and if you for some reason can't arrive at that time, will you please let us know in a timely manner?
    • Will you thoroughly read your itinerary after your booking is confirmed, making sure dates and number of guests are correct and noting door codes and other arrival information?—Sarah, Sayulita, Mexico
  • I don't like to bombard a guest with questions in my first communication, although I totally understand hosts who may want more info. The only thing I request is the full names of all guests (including doggy guests!). It's been my experience not to be necessarily concerned or worried about guests who don't volunteer more info—different people have different communication styles.—Suzanne, North Carolina, U.S.A.

Once you’ve saved your pre-booking message, potential guests will automatically receive it when they use book instantly. Creating a pre-booking message once will help simplify the booking process, give you more peace of mind, and let guests know they have a wonderful stay ahead.

282 Replies 282

I’d like to ‘attach’ our Welcome Letter to a message - can this be done when responding to a booking request? 

Yes, on the phone app.  Not on the website if you are working from computer or Mac.

-

@Stephen0&Bhavna

Do you know how to use a "saved message" ?   It's  located at the bottom of an empty inbox.  

A saved message is actually a template that you can use over and over again.

I have at least 10 templates for various messages I use to send to my guests before check-in. 

Click on, "use a saved message"  At the bottom of an empty inbox: that will open up the feature for you to use. 

-

This is an outstanding effort from the Airbnb team. I've really learnt a lot from you and very fast for that matter. Such regular updates go along way in improving our services.

Thanks! Helpful insight!

Phili0
Level 2
Mbabane, Swaziland

I feel too many questions for a traveller who is sometimes on the go with no or unreliable internet. I personally feel a potential guest is more likely to run away to instant booking. What I guess is needed is that guests should be discouraged from writing untrue reviews with an intention to destroy a host simply because the host didnt agree to be manipulated. Guests who post a review that is totally against many should be scrutinised. Also guests should not be free to open another account because we hosts loose the historical background of the guests. This is mostly unfair because hosts wont easily do that because we will loose business-no review no guarantee.

George753
Level 2
Chania, Greece

This is what I send to our guests in Chania, Crete, Greece.

Hello,

We would like to welcome you to Niriis hotel!

Could I ask what time you arrive at Chania airport and how you will go to Niriis hotel?

The earlier you come, the better for us and you. We will explain places to visit and how you can organize your day.

Niriis hotel is 100m away from the sea, on Herakleous Street, at Agii Apostoli area (next to Agion Apostolon street), 4km west of Chania.

I hope the directions are clear enough. The Wifi code of the hotel is niriis33012 If reception is closed you can still reach me.

Because there are 2 other hotels with a similar name with us (Niriides and Nireas) in other locations, make sure to mention the big car park and small park at Agii Apostoli area.

Here are the directions on how to reach Niriis hotel:

Chania airport to Chania by bus:

From the airport to Chania there are busses every 1-2 hours to Chania (first at 6:00, last at 24:00, times change depending on season), price 2.30 euro each ticket. The airport is 20km and 30 minute east of Chania. When in Chania, you have to catch another bus from 1866 square, which is one block away from Chania central bus station.

Chania to Agii Apostoli by bus:

Chania central bus station to 1866 square is one block away and one minute on foot. From 1866 square (Platia 1866, in Greek) buses depart and terminate to/from Agii Apostoli (where Niriis hotel is). Take bus number 21 (also 15 stops at Synka supermarket) from 1866 square. First bus for Agii Apostoli departs at 7:00, last one at 23:30 from 1866 square, its 15 minute ride. Buy your bus ticket (1.20 euro) from the kiosks or Niriis reception, before you get on the bus, in the bus its 2 euro.

In bus ask the driver to drop you by Agii Apostoli car park, next to Agii Apostoli Park. You will know you are there when you see the sea. When you get off the bus on the car park, the sea is behind you, you will see opposite Xenios Dias restaurant. From there Niriis is 30m. Or ask to stop near Xenios Dias restaurant in front of car park. On the left of the restaurant is a very small street, Herakleous Street. Go in, the road goes left, then in 5m you will see Niriis hotel on the left hand side.

Taxi:

If you arrive late in Chania, take taxi.

Taxi is 30-35 euro from the airport to the hotel. It’s 35 euro from airport to Chania. 8 euro from Chania to Niriis hotel at Agii Apostoli. Between 24:00-08:00 with night tariff its 35 euro from airport to Chania and 10 euro from Chania to the hotel. Always ask the average price before you board a taxi! If you wish, we can reserve a taxi for same price if you give us your arrival time and flight number.

Car rental:

To rent a car, we recommend two local companies, which are close to us, please tell us the dates you are interested, to give you the best quote. You have to be above 22 years old, have a credit card. Pick up can be from Chania airport or from our hotel for no extra cost.

By car, from Chania:

Go to Kladissos junction, the west borders of Chania town, with 6 traffic lights. From there Niriis is 3km. Keep all straight towards Kissamos on the old national road, turn right on the third traffic light that you come across, when you see on your right hand side SYNKA supermarket, after going down from a hill. From there Niriis is 300m. Then go all straight. You will see a small football pitch on the right, and a small park on the left. You can see the sea. From there Niriis is 100m.  Turn left and drive along the park. You will arrive in a big car park, the sea is in front of you. On the big car park there is a restaurant, Xenios Dias. From there Niriis is 30m. On the left of the restaurant is a very small, two-direction street, Herakleous Street. Go in, the road turns left, in 5m on the left hand side you will see Niriis hotel.

Top places to visit in Chania prefecture:
Samaria gorge, south of Chania (nature).
Chania town (sightseeing).
Elafonisi beach, south-west Crete (beach).
Balos beach, north-west Crete via ship from Kissamos (beach).

Falassarna beach, west Crete (beach).

Therisso gorge, south of Chania (sightseeing-nature).

Agia lake, preferably by bicycle (sightseeing-nature).

E4 European hiking path and many gorges, south Crete (hiking-beach-nature).

For more ideas on where to go and what to see, click on ‘Chania’ on our website. How to find us, click on ‘Directions’. There is other useful info on the site.

Have a nice day and see you soon at Niriis hotel!

Best regards,

George Tsampas     

Niriis hotel manager/owner

I would like to come to Niriis after this post 🤩

Thank you for sharing ideas!

Anne1699
Level 2
Bissone, Switzerland

Welcoming letter... by the way, I have a washing machine and dryer.. thinking of doing all your washing at the end of your European tour?

And by the way, I have also air conditioning.. lets leave it on all day at 16 °, then switch on the heating because it is too cold. It is difficult to ask these guests  if they cannot live without a/c, even when it is 23°. 

Anne

Ah you get that too?  My place is a favourite after a 3 week tour of Andalucia (or Morocco) for guests arriving with 5 suitcases and doing all their laundry for 3 days!

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Anne1699 Questo succede spesso a me. Dopo alcuni ospiti che arrivavano con tre valigie piene di vestiti sporchi e occupavano le macchine piú di due giorni, ho deciso di togliere l'accesso alle macchine per gli ospite che rimangono meno di una settimana.

Nelle vicinanze ci sono diversi LaundrOmat e Dollarama, in caso di averne il bisogno di biancherie pulite.

Mi manca il Ticino. 

Un caro saluto.

I have, too, dealt wiht that type of inconsiderate guests. A.C. on all night and 2 quilts for the rack used.  WHY??  Also, my house guidelines clearly state "Please do not leave fan or a.c. on when gone for the day".  I solved this by asking them before they leave if they would like me to turn it on in the evening before they arrive back so their room will be comfortable. So far that is working!

@Anne1699 wrote:

Welcoming letter... by the way, I have a washing machine and dryer.. thinking of doing all your washing at the end of your European tour?

And by the way, I have also air conditioning.. lets leave it on all day at 16 °, then switch on the heating because it is too cold. It is difficult to ask these guests  if they cannot live without a/c, even when it is 23°. 

I really get the turn on the heat part!  I have an "in the wall a\c" its large and anyone with minimal eyesight can see that elephant in the room.  I have guests constantly,  in 90 heat going up the the furnace thermostat and turning on the furnace.  I've have a sign (this is heat, does not cool), and then I finally put packaging tape over it and added the word "NO".  Guess what?  One guy removed the tape and proceeded to turn on the furnace.  With steam expelling from all of the orifices on my face, repeated messages to his inbox and phone received no response.  So the furnace ran all night.  I have even added to the house rules that a minimum $25 charge for excessive or misuse of resources.  Guess what #2?  AirBnb denies my resolution center claims.   Don't ask me about the sledge hammer force people use the flush the toilet. 

PS.  Thank goodness to access the laundry room, they have to go thru my private living area, specially the bedroom to get to the washer & dryer.  So, NO, there is no laundry checked under amenities in my listing (but they still ask where they are). 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Many savvy hosts already use the limited characters in the custom message and other small field, to draw attention to the most important and most problematic issues.  It would be nice to have a few more characters and the possibility to require tick boxes for the guest to click that he understood the most important stuff.

If you make it too long, they will not read it!  We'll be back in the same situation as before!!!  

The popup message when they instant book is * not* the place to put stuff about bus schedules or things to do.  It is the place to put a few most mandatory and urgent notifications, such as:  checkin cutoff time,  need to read and agree with

house rules BEFORE booking,  need to respond to airbnb messages thru the platform, or maybe that the property is a shares spaces with the host  (apparently many guests don't read this and are surprised)

For me the main problems are (1) guests have a click-book-signoff mentality and just consider it a bother when you contact them after with checking formalities and legal obligations (2) guests think that airbnb means they can arrive at 2 am or anytime without setting up a meeting to get the keys.

There should be a way to make guests check up to 4 mandatory boxes that they have understood the most important things bout your property, for example:  NO middle of the night check in, need to tell us your flight information arriving and departing, and need to give us your ID info etc. 

They should have to click a box or sign saying they read the house rules.  It is not so easy for guests to even find the house rules when they are booking.

Even better, send the rental contract PDF like on Homeaway.

Hami0
Level 2
Merzouga, Morocco

Welcome to our camp in Morocco Sahara Desert