What is your favourite local destination?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What is your favourite local destination?

ti2wu64_normal.jpg

Hi everyone,

In times like this, when it is more difficult to travel internationally (if at all), I think it is time to reclaim the beauty we can find in our own countries of residence.

Why not be each other's passport, taking a virtual journey through our shared photographs and experiences? 

What is your favourite destination within your country?

Wherever you are in the world I would love to know more about your favourite local travelling destinations. 

Maybe we can give ourselves some good ideas for our next respective trips by discovering places which we would not have thought of visiting otherwise.🙂

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Nick

94 Replies 94
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick 

Hi Nick, I love our Aussie outback, there is a serenity there that leaves the world behind, all that is important is....the moment.

To read a book by starlight alone. This photo was taken in a tiny Flinders Ranges hamlet called Blinman at about 1.15 am one really clear night. It was taken on an Oppo R9s mobile phone with no time delay and is reasonable close to what the naked eye will see!

Blinman Hotel at night..jpg

The first time you see stars in the outback it is almost frightening, it feels oppressive, as though the heavens are falling in on you.

But if there is one place in my own country I would love to be right now it is here!

https://longitude131.com.au/gallery/

Cheers......Rob

Wow @Robin4  it's stunning! 😮

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

wow @Robin4 

Thank you for sharing this, I'd love to be under that sky. Don't get me wrong, the link to that place was pretty amazing, but that starry sky really does it for me.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Been to Flinders, on a LONG drive with the ex-inlaws from Adelaide to Wilpena Pound, @Robin4  ... I remember enjoying watching  the landscape get ever more arid as we sped north..... Zero recollection of where we stayed, mother-in-law liked sterile white boxes, not to my rustic tastes at all! Your pic looks like my kinda place!

Been to Uluru, Olgas, Kings Canyon too.... I  DO remember the accommodation there, a bit more budget than your link... ours was a  SWAG, on a budget tour out of Alice Springs.... where our tour guide was an ex-actor from Neighbours! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen350 

It is a long drive Helen, We met a girl on a cruise once from Basingstoke in Hants, stayed friends ever since. While she was making plans to visit us here, she said....."If we hire a car at Uluru and start off about nine in the morning, what time in the afternoon will we get to Adelaide?" 

People in England and Europe  can't comprehend the scale, the size of Australia.

Uluru to Aderlaide is 1,620 Kms!!!

There was a time I didn't mind 'swag' once in a while Helen,  These days Longtitude 131  is more like my vision of camping! 

Cheers........Rob

Autumn is having a last gasp out the front of the house at the moment!

IMG20200529082303.jpg

@Robin4 ,Looks surreal Rob! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Branka-and-Silvia0

@Dimitar27 @Robin4 @Nick

You would love the wide open night skies at New Caledonia, they are spectacular.

Wanaka in the South Island in New Zealand is one of the best places to see the stars & milky way.

Otherwise most rural regions in the north island have crystal clear skies to enjoy it.

Isn't  it amazing that the world is such a spectacular place that created itself the way it did.

Meanwhile what's really  on those other planets?

lol, maybe they would be a great place to be  at the current time for a great escape 🗺 

this is amazing!!!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

For me there's a few choices, if I'm allowed to include the whole of UK rather than just England in destinations. The three family holidays we would alternate each year within England were:

Weymouth in DorsetWeymouth in Dorset

Great YarmouthGreat Yarmouth

The Peak DistrictThe Peak District

My favourite non-England trips are to:

Bodelwyddan castleBodelwyddan castle

Can't wait to visit again soon!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Love the castles, I wandered around in a few wrecked ones in Germany, very cool @Stephanie .  The beeches are nice also, way too many people for me though!  JR

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

If you want proper fish and chips @Melodie-And-John0 it's risk you have to take! 

fish-chips-robinsons-chelmsford.jpg

An easy win for any Brit (insider information next time you host one!)

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  what a fabulous way to enjoy holidays, such a variety of country life & beach holidays.

Those beach front homes, what year were they built?

Who designed them?

Those homes must have many a story to tell...and those who have lived in them & do today must have many a memory of so many sights and changes, the type of sailing vessels, ship wrecks, different swimwear fashion, horse and cart and motor vehicles...

We are so blessed with what we have in our lives so close by and so easily accessible., bar air travel to get to those destinations.

What would we do if the internet suddenly disappeared out of our grasp for a year??

Thank goodness for books!

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Most of the popular places are very crowded.

I prefer not so crowded.

Magura cave

Magura-Cave-Bulgaria-Cave-Art.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart

Sveshtari

grobnicata-do-selo-sveshtari-5

Ahtopol

%D0%90%D1%85%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB-%D1%84%D0%B0%D1%80-%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD

Nessebar

MED_La-arrebatador-encanto-de-la-ciudad-antigua-de-Nessebar

Kovachavitsa

kovachevica-common-picture-1

Glozhene

%D0%A6%D1%8A%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%93%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%80

Asenovgrad

181110545606-shopped

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

An amazing, beautiful, and varied country, @Dimitar27 . Is that a Roman ruin in pic 4, by the sea?