Adding a computer and printer attractive?

Kashif13
Level 2
Lahore, Pakistan

Adding a computer and printer attractive?

Hello Airbnbiers,

I have an extra Imac and printer handy that I can add to the place. I am wondering if that can be attractive for the guests? The basic idea is that post-covid a lot of people are working from home. I understand the majority of the guests bring their own gadgets but again some would be more comfortable working on a desktop Imac. 

10 Replies 10
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Kashif13 I would not for several reasons:

1. iMac or printer is stolen

2. Monitor gets damaged

3. Guests having food/liquids in close proximity

2. iMac or printer not working for whatever reason

3. Printer needs ink/paper

Nope, offering this will be more headaches than its appeal. 

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

@Kashif13 

I thought about adding a printer, but the fact that after 1 year they all start giving trouble and I have no idea how to fix printers it's not so encouraging.

Mike from West Palm
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kashif13 

I have a printer, which is for my own use, but I'm happy for guests to use it from time to time because they do occasionally need to print out a ticket for something (not every company has gone paperless with this yet).

However, I do not advertise this as an amenity. I do not want to be responsible if the printer decides to play up, runs out of ink or whatever. Printers in my experience can be very temperamental. I would also not be happy for guests to use the printer as part of their 'office set up' and therefore think that they can use it extensively. People can be very wasteful for no reason. I remember one guest who used an entire pack of printer paper in one afternoon, throwing most of it in the bin afterwards. I am not exaggerating. 

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering the same and apparently it seems it will become a liability rather than an amenity. You are right about the ink and paper and the overall maintenance that will come with it.  Anyhow, your property is wonderful and good luck with it. I am in the process of setting up one and I hope it comes closer to yours 

@Kashif13   While it's true that a lot of people are choosing Airbnbs to base themselves for remote work, you might want to ask yourself if they're really that desirable as guests. Being home for most of the day means they make much heavier use of your utilities than tourists do, which can really add up as energy costs increase. They're also prone to demand refunds if the wifi speed isn't what they're used to at home, and when it comes time to review, their experience is tainted by their work stress and therefore extra critical of details a vacationer would overlook. 

If you've already weighed the pros and cons and still believe you want to attract remote workers, don't supply a computer or printer. In addition to the reasons @Gwen386 outlined, it's simply not practical for them to rely on their host's equipment when your job is not to provide a personal office. Ultimately, this stuff would just be taking up space guests would rather have for their own belongings. And besides, people who want an inclusive computer in their Airbnb wouldn't be able to find listings that offer them, because there's no search filter for it.

What would make a space more attractive as a work-from-home base?  First and foremost, the fastest and most reliable internet service you can procure. Also recommended: a quality ergonomic chair, a nook for the desk that can be somehow separated from the other home areas (even with a curtain), and a universal charging station that suits multiple devices at once. Listings that emphasize walkability and convenient access to dining and recreation, as well as delivery services, would be a plus. 

But if you don't want your home to be treated like a full-time office, don't bother with any of this - just create the listing that suits the guests you really want. 

Thank you for the response. Your suggestion of universal charging station is amazing, I will definitely do that. For the wifi, I have already made sure we have the fastest and reliable internet service. I also second your thought of high energy costs which have gone skyrocketing lately. I really appreciate you taking time out for this. Thanks   

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Kashif13 

Maybe just supply the monitor and keyboard and USB adapter (dongle) to use it as just a monitor and docking station. 

Let them connect their own device to the internet so they are responsible for whatever they download. I'm not a geek but there would be too much risk of malware, etc, that would then be on your computer. 

Ashley1839
Level 1
Auburn, AL

Well, I am looking to rent a house for several coworkers on a work trip, and I wish there were a way to search for a house with a printer. We can't fly with a printer, and it is a hassle to print at Office Depot since we will be driving over an hour into West Alabama for work. I'd love to pay an extra fee to be able to connect to a printer and use one. But there's no way to search for a property with an office/printer setup. So, FWIW.

And even if someone is working remotely, that doesn't mean they will stay the whole day and gobble up your utilities.  A lot of people come into town to teach workshops or short classes, and a printer would be very handy for them and an extra money maker for you (upcharge on the paper/ink in a daily fee).

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can search for listings that are set up for remote working. A printer is one of the options for host to provide under amenities so you should be able to search for listings that have one under the advance search function @Ashley1839 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I wouldn't leave an Apple Mac (an expensive item)  in your listing it may get stolen. @Kashif13 

If you have set your listing up as an Airbnb at Work listing  to encourage digital nomads. then you could consider leaving a printer, inks and paper. Would what you do if the printer broke/ran out of ink. Just think about the practicalities for how you would maintain the facility

I have been hosting for eight years, lots of digital nomads use my place. I have only been asked about a printer once and this wasn't from a remote worker./.