Air Conditioning

Answered!
Paul7699
Level 2
Las Breñas, Spain

Air Conditioning

Hi, can you please share with me your thoughts on Air Conditioning - we have installed new units in our two rental properties but have opted to add an extra charge for use (as sadly, some guests choose to leave it on continually, even when not in the property! and as you will all know, this is an expensive commodity).

There is no area on the airbnb property description to add "extra charge" and you can only type it in other details - I have reported this to Air bnb asking for them to consider a tick box next to the air conditioning facility which clearly states it will be at an additional cost.

The first response was to add it to our nightly cost but not everyone wishes to use the facility and therefore I am  hesitant to add it and put future guests off booking due to a charge for a facility that they may not use - I amlooking for guidance on what other hosts do to clearly advertise.

We have recently had to cancel a booking over unnecesary conflict as they stated it does not clearly show air conditioning is at an additional cost unless they read the small print.....

I welcome and advice.

Thank you

1 Best Answer
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Paul7699 
I write under
- policies and rules
- additional rules

Electricity and water charges

Additional rules

Electricity and water are charged separately according to usage at about $13 per day. We will settle the amount at the end of your stay with your security deposit based on meter readings and the actual rates of the utilities.

Security deposit

Upon arrival, please pay our manager a cash security deposit of US$250. After we have settled the electricity and water bill, this amount will be returned to you when you leave.

Explanation

We charge for electricity and water separately according to usage because this rewards guests who carefully conserve resources. We believe this is the most fair and sustainable way to charge for utilities.

I never had a problem.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

IF having the A/C makes a true difference in the price that must be charged, why not offer your places with or without A/C, either turned or off (locked box). The choice is now theirs.

Thank you for your reply - this is how we currently advertise but a recent guest has claimed it should be included, hence the reason for asking how others manage this facility. 

Thank you for your time in responding, good to hear that our current method in use is how you would proceed.

Then perhaps charge one price that covers the A./C prices whether they use it or not. We are off grid and now adding A/C ourselves, by spending on very expensive lithium batteries, thus facing the same dilemma.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Paul7699 
I write under
- policies and rules
- additional rules

Electricity and water charges

Additional rules

Electricity and water are charged separately according to usage at about $13 per day. We will settle the amount at the end of your stay with your security deposit based on meter readings and the actual rates of the utilities.

Security deposit

Upon arrival, please pay our manager a cash security deposit of US$250. After we have settled the electricity and water bill, this amount will be returned to you when you leave.

Explanation

We charge for electricity and water separately according to usage because this rewards guests who carefully conserve resources. We believe this is the most fair and sustainable way to charge for utilities.

I never had a problem.

Great information, had never thought of taking it from a security deposit, this could work for me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond 👍

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Paul7699 
Most (all) European guests pay the security deposit by bank transfer. I return the remainder by bank transfer, too. No cash.