Airbnb Map Search since Summer 2022 Release

Richard264
Level 3
Breckenridge, CO

Airbnb Map Search since Summer 2022 Release

I think we’ve all heard of the issues associated with Airbnb’s new functionality “Categories” released last month. Those have been previously well documented within this group. And while I had heard of issues related to map searching and properties appearing and disappearing at random… I was a bit of a sceptic… that was until this morning.

As I get ready to relist our property for the summer season in the Peak 7 neighborhood of Summit County, CO… I thought I would do a little experiment. In the screenshots attached to this post… all of the search criteria (dates, # of guests, category) and filters (bedrooms, beds, hot tub, price range) are the same. Watch what happens in the blue box as I nudge the map a couple millimeters at a time. Be mindful that there are relevant properties in that blue box.

SCREENSHOT 1

Map area roughly lines up with Airport Rd (Breckenridge) to the east and covers a large percentage of the Peak 7 neighborhood going west. Only 3 listings are shown.
Airbnb - Peak 7 - 1st.PNG

SCREENSHOT 2

I nudged the map a couple millimeters further west… Airport Rd falls off the map to the east. The same 3 listings are still shown.
Airbnb - Peak 7 - 2nd.PNG

SCREENSHOT 3

I nudged the map a couple more millimeters further west. Now I get 4 new listings displayed. Please keep in mind that these 4 listings should have been displayed in the first 2 screenshots as they were within the field of view of the map. Also notice that the original 3 listings are now gone… even though they are still in the field of view of the map.
Airbnb - Peak 7 - 3rd.PNG

SCREENSHOT 4

I zoomed out to pickup some of downtown Breckenridge… plus the base ski areas of Peak 8 and Peak 7. My price range (less than $267/night) is probably excluding most of the base area listings as well as downtown Breckenridge… but it’s interesting that I am now seeing 16 listings for the Peak 7 neighborhood… which is probably about the right number. What’s crazy is that most of these 16 listings should have also shown up in the previous 3 screenshots
Airbnb - Peak 7 - Wide.PNG

Does anyone have comments on this or additional information on this issue?
16 Replies 16

I am experiencing a similar situation. I’ve dropped down to 50% occupancy since the update when I’ve usually run at 90-95% occupancy for the past 2 years. This has been extremely frustrating and I will have to find other solutions if Airbnb does not clear this up quickly. Airbnb, please provide suggestions on how to show up in searches. 

Natasha-and-John0
Level 10
Cornville, AZ

We live outside of sedona and are always booked, 99% but as of the new airbnb we are barely scraping by. I have been a host for nine years and have never seen this until now.

What is most frustrating is their lack of response.