Category Listing Not Seeming To Work

Category Listing Not Seeming To Work

The best I can tell, the cabin my wife and I have listed on 6+ acres in Lakebay, WA does not show up under the 'Cabins' category on Airbnb. It's cedar and birch throughout, in the middle of the woods in a very secluded and quiet environment. My listing details are correct, the word cabin is mentioned in the title and throughout the description. 

My question is what more I should do to get listed as a cabin and whether there is a formal process that aids the algorithm in designating a space as a cabin, etc.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Sam-and-Kirsten0 

Unfortunately, the application of Categories to a specific listing is completely automated through an algorithm and cannot be managed manually.

Here is more information on how Airbnb Categories work: https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/how-airbnb-categories-work-561

It states, "Listings in each category go through a curation process. Millions of homes on Airbnb are evaluated using machine learning to analyze titles, descriptions, photo captions, and guest reviews."

Also, "Homes in each category go through a curation process. Millions of active listings on Airbnb are evaluated using machine learning to analyze titles, descriptions, photo captions, structured data from Hosts, and reviews."

If you would like to appear in a specific category, I can certainly provide some tips which will help with the algorithm to apply the category to your listing. Just so you know, Airbnb runs the algorithm every two weeks so it can take time even with my below tips to appear in a category.

Tips to get your listing in a specific Airbnb Category
- ensure you mention the category you want to be highlighted throughout your listing.
- respond to guest reviews and make mention of the category as the algorithm searches reviews.
- go through all the amenity sections of your listing to ensure they are up-to-date.

You can read more about Airbnb's Categories here:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/the-airbnb-2022-summer-release-what-hosts-need-to-k...

Hopefully, your listing will appear in your desired category soon as Airbnb is continuously improving the machine learning tool to find relevant listings and apply the appropriate category.

All the best!

David

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam-and-Kirsten0 The advice given by @Dave-and-Deb0 is thankfully out of date. You can now request a specific category by contacting support. They will pass the issue to the relevant department and then close the ticket but you should see action a few weeks later.

Before you do this though go to your listing and scroll down the first page and you will find what categories (if any) you are in.