Charging separately for breakfast

Answered!
Paula2391
Level 1
Meelon, Australia

Charging separately for breakfast

Hello everyone, I am just setting up our Cabin listing. Does anyone know how to add ‘breakfast’ as an extra charge that guests can select with their booking? Your help would be appreciated. Thank you, Paula

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paula2391 

Hi Paula, I am also a host in Australia and I do have a certificate in food handling, having been the kitchen coordinator for our local Mt Barker branch of Meals on Wheels.

IMG20180228215931.jpg But that does not enable me to supply a pre-prepared meal of any description for paying guests. The only perishable food that I can supply is what I can offer in manufacturers sealed supplied packaging.

The legal problem being, it can be argued that the supply of cooked food forms part of the sales contract (particularly if you are charging an additional amount for it) and as such requires a food handling licence!

You have to appreciate Paula, it is not the food handling person that is under scrutiny here, it's the food handling premises!

Preparing a meal for friends, family, other acquaintances that are not subject to a monetary contract are treated differently to paid guests.

Paula, I would go into this very thoroughly with your local council health inspector, it is possible you may have the requirements to serve cooked food..........despite the qualifications I had, I didn't!

The problem is,  anything works until it goes wrong and you get caught!

Cheers........Rob 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Unless you have a license for preparing food, this is not a good idea. Two things come to mind—a guest being allergic to something or being food poisoned. 

Thank you, I agree with your comment. However, I am a professional chef with a diploma in food hygiene. Our cabin has a kitchen, so guests may wish to be left alone, not everyone wants breakfast. Would like to give the option?.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paula2391 

Hi Paula, I am also a host in Australia and I do have a certificate in food handling, having been the kitchen coordinator for our local Mt Barker branch of Meals on Wheels.

IMG20180228215931.jpg But that does not enable me to supply a pre-prepared meal of any description for paying guests. The only perishable food that I can supply is what I can offer in manufacturers sealed supplied packaging.

The legal problem being, it can be argued that the supply of cooked food forms part of the sales contract (particularly if you are charging an additional amount for it) and as such requires a food handling licence!

You have to appreciate Paula, it is not the food handling person that is under scrutiny here, it's the food handling premises!

Preparing a meal for friends, family, other acquaintances that are not subject to a monetary contract are treated differently to paid guests.

Paula, I would go into this very thoroughly with your local council health inspector, it is possible you may have the requirements to serve cooked food..........despite the qualifications I had, I didn't!

The problem is,  anything works until it goes wrong and you get caught!

Cheers........Rob 

Thanks Rob. Agree with everything you said. I will do package breaky. Paula 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paula2391 

Hi Paula, I understand your desire to go that little bit extra for your guests, and that is admirable. Although you are just starting out with your hosting career I am sure you will become over time a great host and I wish you all the best. 

Spending some time here on this community centre will give you a great start, you will learn a lot from most of the contributors here.

On the topic of food for guests, I do quite often share a meal with guests that we get on well with.....particularly return guests. I like to show off my cooking skills and will treat guests to a Chicken, pumpkin, asparagus and mushroom Risotto, or a Salmon, Leek and Dill Wellington.......

ep07-Salmon_Wellington-700x404.jpg

But it is definitely not routine and I always make a point of telling guests not to mention any hint of a supplied or shared meal in the review process. The last thing I need is being marked down for something a future guest expected, and didn't get.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 

What an informative post, thank you.

I'm trying to increase my bookings & as I provide a bottle of milk thought I might add a choice of cereals for breakfast to help increase my bookings but will need to source sealed packets.

Its not easy to find small pkts at a reasonable price unless you get those assorted ones which have quite a few unhealthy options!

I'll peruse the breakfast chat & see what's cooking.

Eva2518
Level 2
Princeville, HI

Just thinking out loud...I wonder if you could offer the food portion as an "AirBnB Experience" add-on.  So sort of like, "would you like to surprise your partner with breakfast in bed" or "would you like to surprise your partner with a romantic breakfast"...book an AirBnB experience during your stay...and then you can send them a custom link.

Not sure if this gets you around the legal restrictions.  There seem to be quite a few culinary based experiences on AirBnB...

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Paula2391 Paula hosts cannot easily charge for this service as Airbnb cannot take their cut as it were . It is better to offer a cash at time deal with some signs and a fixed price, if this is a skill you have. Travelling in IReland  we found this was a good way to fill up on home made breakfasts and dinners without too much trouble.   Good Luck .. H

Thanks Helen