Deposit for gate remote?

Answered!
Fabiana310
Level 3
Uvita, Costa Rica

Deposit for gate remote?

Hi Airbnb Community.  I've googled and searched this forum but cannot find an answer.   So.....

I provide a remote control for the main gate to my guests.  On two occasions I had to get the battery replaced, and today I found the remote again did not work.  Once I opened it up I found it completely corroded! After visiting the local Locksmith (small town Costa Rica) I found that it is unrepairable, I had to buy a new control - costs $60, plus $20 programming fee.  

It's clear that guests take the keys/control with them to the beach!  Can i charge a security deposit for the control, and, where do I indicate that?  

We all know that people don't read, even in my checkin/checkout instructions guests ask me questions that they would have answers to if only they read.  So adding a line about security deposit will be completely ignored.  Thoughts?  

1 Best Answer
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Fabiana310 ,

as a guest this is something I would expect to find in the House Manual.

But you are right guest do not read the House Manual 😂 

Therefore the day before their arrival I send them via Airbnb chat a summary of the House Manual with the main points I want to be sure they are aware off ... and this way it works 😀 

Andrea

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Fabiana310 ,

as a guest this is something I would expect to find in the House Manual.

But you are right guest do not read the House Manual 😂 

Therefore the day before their arrival I send them via Airbnb chat a summary of the House Manual with the main points I want to be sure they are aware off ... and this way it works 😀 

Andrea

Thanks Andrea!  Will try that.  

你解决问题了吗?

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Fabiana310 Do you do a tour of your property? If yes, present the remote in a ziplock bag and point out that if/when they go to the beach, they must store the remote in the bag and explain why. Also, state (put this in your manual too), that if the remote is lost or stolen, there is a $_____ fee at checkout. 

Thanks Gwen386, YES, great idea to add "if stolen ....".  I actually changed my mind about asking for security deposit as last few guests DID NOT read my check in instructions and were not prepared with the security deposit.  It became a nuisance, and I was expecting a bad review just on that!  So decided to remove asking for security deposit.  

But adding "if stolen/broken" is perfect!!! will do that!  thank you!