Do we allow dogs, or not?

Do we allow dogs, or not?

We're in the UK and have a small, single-storey cottage, with just a large, L-shaped, open-plan living, kitchen and bedroom area, plus a bathroom and a small (too small for a dog crate) porch. We share a car park with 2 other neighbouring properties and we're located down a quiet track, only about 40 yards from a lovely, secluded little beach.

I'd like some feedback on our plan as regards dogs. We want to get the balance right and do nothing to put off owners who are genuinely respectful of other people's property, local farmers and the countryside; but 'gently' discourage those who aren't!

Here's the plan:

We have a fold-away, indoor crate that can easily accommodate a dog up to collie-size with ease.

We've already got a cold water tap outside, but we're adding warm water to create an area to shower pets off in comfort

We've got an emergency dog-box with a long-line (not retractable) lead; treats; doggy first aid bag that can be worn as a bum-bag and taken out and about; poo bags and a bottle of dog shampoo, plus a stack of old towels.

We've got a page of advice in the Visitor Information explaining the importance of keeping dogs under control on farmland and when ground-nesting birds are nesting / have young, as well as on the foreshore during very cold spells. We've also added a reminder that the area is full of rabbits and a normally well-behaved dog might behave differently with all the extra lovely scent!

We've asked all dog mess is bagged up and removed.

We've asked that visitors must bring suitably thick throws if they intend to allow dogs on the furniture and use their discretion as regards cushions, rugs etc. (and pointed out there's a big storage cupboard, so anything they think the dog might not respect, they can feel free to pack away until the next guest comes!) 

We'd also thought of listing the pros and cons for dog owners, to make it absolutely clear what we can and can't offer:

Pros

Safe, sheltered beach 

Immediate access to lots of lovely walks

Outside dog shower with hot and cold water

Lots of coastal, woodland and countryside walks in the area

Dog crate available to borrow

Doggy first-aid bag to borrow

Cons

Open-plan living, kitchen and sleeping area

We would respectfully ask that dogs are not allowed on the furniture. If you are doubtful that your dog will agree with us - please ensure you bring suitably large and thick throws

We do not have a secure, enclosed, outdoor space

The cottage is tiny! We know behaviour is nothing to do with size (we know sighthounds can fold themselves up really, really small and owners are used to anticipating them getting up only when someone is stepping over them, carrying a brew!) but realistically, we might just be too small from some dogs on account of energy levels as much as size.

The car park is shared with 2 other holiday lets, so there will be some comings-goings and potentially other dogs around especially in high-season

We really don't want to exclude or put off anyone who brings a dog of any size of breed (we've been advised by friends that we'd lose up to 50% of potential bookings if we specify no dogs) but as dog owners ourselves, we want to give owners a realistic picture of what we offer and hope they will make a sensible decision!

Thanks.

4 Replies 4
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

@Margaret1419 I have a feeling that after you try it once, you'll know the answer. Please ensure the guest brings a small and relaxed dog that doesn't bark much. Also, leave a vacuum cleaner in the house and inform them that you expect them to vacuum as part of the check-out procedure. I ask guests during the inquiry if they need anything arranged for their pet or if they're bringing everything themselves. If they say they have everything, it's a good sign. Don't accept more than one pet.

@Guy991 Respectfully, I don't think you should recommend that hosts ask guests to vacuum. Guests get upset by things like that, and usually take it out on the host in their reviews. 

If there is a cleaning fee as well as a pet fee, the assumption is that that covers any extra cleaning that might be required after a pet stay. I'd rather vacuum more thoroughly or for an extra 15 minutes than piss off a guest and get a poor review. Besides, a guest will never clean as well or thoroughly as the host or the host's cleaner, so essentially it has to be done over. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Margaret1419 I love how you've given this so much thought- really! 

To share my POV, I'm a dog lover, but I don't accept pets. It was a hard decision to make, but I'm at peace with it, and I still get plenty of reservations. I realized that it would cause me some stress, worrying about if a dog is tearing up my place, not necessarily by being "bad", but just by being a dog, and I don't want to go through that every time I have guests with a pet. 

Much of what you've said above makes total sense, EXCEPT that you are relying on an honor system, and that's shaky territory when it comes to guests. 

You can ask them to bring throws, and you can ask them to remove any dog poop, but ultimately, you are depending on them to do the right thing, and that's not a good bet. There are many good guests out there, and unfortunately, there are also bad ones. Also, everybody thinks that their dog is the best dog in the whole wide world, but that's not necessarily true, and people have different ideas about dog behavior and what's good or bad. 

Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out well. Cheers

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Margaret1419   You seem to have thought of everything but as @Kia272 says you are more reliant on good & respectful dog owners rather than the dogs themselves.

We have 2 listings, one which we allow pets in and one which we don't - too small (a shepherds hut), pond in garden etc. 

In our cottage we do allow pets and it is small but does have an upstairs and downstairs.  We state we allow up to 2 medium size dogs stay and the largest we have had are 2 beautiful retrievers, who came back regularly.  Like you, the driveway is shared with other guests and ourselves so we let our guests know that.  They do have a large private enclosed garden though.  

I provide throws for the furniture myself as I know as a dog owner myself, they could easily be forgotten, and I also provide, dog towels, bowl & treats.  Good idea about the poo bags though. 

You are quite right in saying that the size of dog doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I have a 6 year old Labrador and a 16 month old Irish Wolfhound and it is the Labrador who is bouncy and the one that needs watching while the Wolfhound as you say can calmly curl himself up into a ball and doesn't need the manic games of ball 6 times a day !

Generally apart from the odd accident in the house and the occasional time that the guests haven't used the throws, I just find I need to be extra diligent while cleaning after our pet guests have stayed.  There is always dog hair somewhere to be found ! 

I do leave cleaning products & a hoover but I don't ask guests to use them as I feel that they are on holiday and should be relaxed staying with us and not worrying.  80% of guest who have dogs, do use the hoover though. 

I also have a settee which you can change the covers on, so always have a spare clean set ready to be used at anytime if there are any muddy paw prints - this has been a god send !

I am not sure about losing 50% of business if you don't allow dogs.  Your place looks quiet and isolated and having the beach access so close by, could appeal to romantic couples, walkers, etc. 

The good thing though is after trying the dog guests out, if you find it doesn't work for you, you can always not allow dogs in the future.  You will then find another niche to aim for. 

Good luck.