Do you prefer self check-in or welcoming guests in person?

Ema3296
Level 8
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Do you prefer self check-in or welcoming guests in person?

I am the type of person who enjoys personally welcoming guests, unless they express a desire for self check-in. Generally, I have noticed that guests are happier when I greet them in person. What are your experiences?

27 Replies 27

@Ema3296 I manage my AirBnB remotely from half-way across the country, so I can't greet them personally. However, I have found that if I establish good communication with them prior to their stay, they seem to take better care of my home. I always send them a message when they book thanking them for booking with us and telling them I'll be in touch again the day prior to their arrival to provide check-in information, tell them that I have a Welcome Guide in the home that provide info on things to do in the area and places to eat but ask if they're looking for specific recommendations, and send a pre-checkout message the day before. Every guest except two responded nicely to these messages. The two who did not were my worst guests in terms of cleanliness and did not leave a review (I supposed they feared I would give them a bad review). 

Ema3296
Level 8

Dear @Debbie1192,

Thank you for sharing your experience! It’s impressive how you manage your Airbnb remotely while maintaining strong communication with your guests. Your approach of sending messages before their stay and providing a Welcome Guide is a great way to foster connection and ensure they feel informed. It’s interesting to see how that proactive communication can influence guest behavior. Your insights are really valuable!

Best regards from Sarajevo,

Ema

@Ema3296 It really depends on the guests.

When we book places to stay we are happy to be left alone and just get on with our stay. We are independent travelers and don't need babysitting.

But I also understand some guest would appreciate personal welcome and having somebody to show them around.

We let our guests know that we are here for them if they need us for anything and we are happy to interact face to face.

But we also travel a lot and often aren't around when guest are staying.

I think what makes a difference are personalised, warm and friendly messages making each guest feeling welcome.

Ema3296
Level 8

Dear @Katarzyna87 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It's great to hear your perspective on guest interactions. I completely agree that every traveler has unique preferences. Offering personalized, warm messages can truly make a difference in creating a welcoming atmosphere, whether guests prefer independence or a bit of guidance. Your approach of being available while also respecting guests space is commendable.

Best regards,

Ema

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

Hi @Ema3296 , I believe guests should always be welcomed by someone to show them round the place, explain where the pots, plates and cutlery etc are, point out the house book will answer many if not all of their questions, then leave unless guests want to keep them talking. As I mentioned, I strongly recommend a house book explaining how the place works and where to visit/eat/shop etc in the area. My guests love it.

If you can't be there in person, the keyholder can do the meet and greet.

Hi @Bob40 

This is very interesting! 😊

Explaining everything in person could also help avoid damage or a bad experience.

Have you ever had guests who didn’t appreciate the in-person welcome?

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

Hi @Elisa , the point is to be sensitive. If I think people are tired and just want me to go away, I give them the briefest of tours. I'm aware that as a host I mustn't impose - unlike someone who hosted us recently and just would not stop talking because they had nothing else to do!

A self-catering property is not a hotel room and things do need to be explained.

Cheers,

Bob

Ema3296
Level 8

Dear @Bob40 ,

Thank you for your insights! I truly appreciate your approach to welcoming guests and ensuring they feel oriented in the space. A house book sounds like a fantastic idea, as it can really enhance their experience. It’s great to hear that your guests love it! Having a keyholder for the meet and greet is also a smart solution. Your commitment to guest comfort really shines through!

Ema

Tina183
Level 6
Bothell, WA

@Ema3296 I think friendly communication is more important then welcoming in person. My guests that I welcome in person usually look at me really confused, there are some that have really welcomed the welcome so I just gauge it by our communication before they check in. I do sometimes say hi during their stay and that is usually more well received.

I personally hate the welcome from hosts when I stay I am usually tired when I get there I am going just want to check in and settle in but enjoy the conversation later in the stay.

Ema3296
Level 8

Dear @Tina183,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate your perspective on the importance of friendly communication. I understand that guests often want to settle in after traveling, and your preference for conversations later on is very helpful to know. Your approach can definitely make guests stay even more enjoyable.

Ema

Jane4657
Level 1
Laclede, ID

@Ema3296 We share the living space with our guests, so we prefer to meet them at the door and familiarize them with our place and their accommodations. Our place is big enough that I feel many guests would feel a bit awkward walking in and knowing exactly what their parameters are. We’re working on making it more self directed all the time. 
Thus far (it’s only been a couple months!) we’ve had great reception with this, and have at times had to limit guest conversation as we had to get back to work! 😂

Ema3296
Level 8

Dear @Jane4657 ,

Thank you for sharing your approach. It’s wonderful that you take the time to greet your guests and help them feel at home in your space. Familiarizing them with the accommodations is a thoughtful touch. It sounds like you're making great strides toward a more self-directed experience, and it’s fantastic to hear that the reception has been positive so far. Balancing guest interaction with your own work commitments can be tricky, but it sounds like you’re managing it well.

Best regards,

Ema

Heidi803
Level 5
West Sacramento, CA

@Ema3296 I personally, whenever possible, try to welcome my guests in person.

show them around kitchen, point out amenities and extras.

i have a “house book” as well but find many guests don’t read it beyond where WiFi code is.

I have also guests whom have tried to “sneak in” an 8 week old “service dog” Other times I have found a group of 2 is actually a group of 3.

I find it better to address these issues before I grant access to my property.

@Heidi803 So how did you deal with the "service dog" issue? Did they show up with the dog? If so how did you deal with that?