Election year hesitation

Casey442
Level 1
Nashville, TN

Election year hesitation

I am new to Hosting with my first unit that has been sitting on the market outside of Nashville now for 2 mos with very little response. I feel that I have done extensive due diligence on optimizing my listing wit competitive pricing, professional photos, desirable location, etc.... but receiving unexpected slow traffic. I've been hearing that people the latter half of the yr are simply holding on to trade land money spend and it is slow everywhere in every industry. Just wondering if others are discovering the same in otherwise normally HOT markets? 

2 Replies 2

@Casey442 

I really like your place! I took a quick look and just some suggestions to update and complete the listing:

Min Stay

Your min stay is 30days? Are you required to have min stays of 30days or more by local restrictions? If not, you really need to change that. Guests can't book your place if they can't see it in search results. They will not see it in search results unless they search for 30days or more. If you don't have local restrictions, I would lower that to 2nights to get some bookings. You can increase your minimum stay after you get some bookings, but I wouldn't go to 30+ nights unless you need to. Start with 2night stays and then gradually increase it. I prob wouldn't increase it to more than 3-4 nights off peak season and maybe 5-7 nights in peak season.

Description

Did your description come from the Townhome builder's website? I would re-word it as it mentions things like offering 2-3 bedroom options and you are only offering one unit with 3 bedrooms.

Cancellation Policy

It currently shows non-reundable? Most guest won't book for 30+ days with a non-refundable cancellation policy. I would relax that; especially if you don't need to have 30+ min stays.

Missing Sections of Listing

There are alot of sections missing from the listing or incomplete. There are multiple sections missing in the Location Section and Guest Safety Section. I would spend some time going through every section of the Listing Editor and click each box on the left side. The right panel will show all the sections you can add information. I would review the entire amenities section as you are missing info that is indicated by the pencil icon to the right. Click ALL amenities and make sure you haven't missed any. Review the Guest Safety section and add must climb stairs, shared spaces and any potential for noise. If this is a townhome, then their are shared walls with other units and looks like on-going construction in nearby building?

Title

Your Title isn't really telling guests what's special about your place. Do you have any King beds? I would add W/D & EV charger to Title. Is the parking free? I would add that. Something like:

Newly built w King Bed | EV charger | W/D 

House Rules

I would review your Rules. You say no smoking in the description, but your House Rules don't show that? 

Photos

You said you had professional photos done? Many of the photos are poorly lit and not straight. You say you have an office and dedicated workspace but no photos of it? You say you have a washer/dryer but I didn't see a photo? Your exterior photos are a bit confusing as I have no idea which bldg the unit is in? 

Cover Photo

I would change your cover photo to the one below for now. I would reshoot when you can with TV on, fire going in the fireplace and blinds open (unless the view outside is not a good one). Most experienced Airbnb photographers know that TVs should be on with the Netflix logo or some other nature scene and a fireplace should also have a fire going. You are aiming for evoking "warm, comfy, cozy" in photos. 

Joan2709_0-1727571931148.png

Captions on ALL photos

Guests really need captions on every photo. This tells them not only what space they are looking at, but helps them envision themselves using the space.

Where You'll Sleep Section is Missing on Listing

In order for this section to appear, you need to go into your bedroom photos and select "sleeping arrangements" and size of bed.

Joan2709_1-1727572951345.png

Other Details to Note

You have information here that really needs to be in the neighborhood description in the Location Section.

Construction?

One of your exterior photos shows an adjacent building under construction? Many guests would be concerned about construction noise. If construction is on-going, you should disclose that on the listing and in the Guest Safety Section under Property Info "Potential for Noise."

Target Market for Guests

Your description mentions it would be perfect for families and remote workers, but I didn't see any amenities that families would want? High chair, travel crib, kids books/toys, etc. 

Monthly Discount

Hosts offering monthly discounts usually offer at least a 20% discount. Looks like you are only offering a 10% discount?

Pets

You have a $400 pet fee? That is just way too high for most guests. The average fee for pets is usually $50-$100. Also, when I tried to add a pet as a guest it showed you don't accept pets. The number of pets and whether you allow them or not is found under the House Rules Section of the Listing. 

Oksana127
Level 4
Riga, Latvia

Hi there,

First off, welcome to the world of hosting! I understand how frustrating it can be when you’ve put in the effort with competitive pricing, professional photos, and a great location, only to see slow bookings. You’re definitely not alone—many hosts, even in typically high-demand areas, are experiencing slower bookings this year, and there could be several factors contributing to this:

1. Election Year Hesitation: It’s common for consumers to be more cautious with discretionary spending during an election year. Uncertainty about the future can make people more hesitant to book vacations or short-term stays, as they may prioritize saving over travel.

2. Economic Concerns: Inflation, interest rate hikes, and general economic instability have caused many people to tighten their budgets. This could be impacting travel decisions across the board, not just in your market.

3. Seasonal Trends: The latter part of the year typically sees a shift in travel patterns, with families settling into the school year and people waiting for the holiday season. Some regions may experience slower demand during the fall months.

4. Market Saturation: Nashville, and surrounding areas, have become very popular short-term rental destinations in recent years. With an increase in supply, guests now have more options to choose from. It’s essential to continue tweaking your listing and finding ways to stand out.

Here are a few strategies you might try:

• Update Your Listing Regularly: Even if you’ve optimized your listing, updating your photos or description periodically can help boost visibility in search results. It also shows potential guests that your property is actively maintained.

• Offer Last-Minute Discounts: Consider offering a discount for last-minute bookings to fill empty dates. This can help attract budget-conscious travelers who may be hesitant to spend more during uncertain times.

• Flexible Cancellation Policies: If you haven’t already, consider implementing a more flexible cancellation policy to give potential guests more peace of mind when booking.

• Promote Longer Stays: Offering discounts for week-long or month-long stays can help attract remote workers or those looking for extended stays. You can also consider marketing to corporate travelers or relocating families who may need temporary housing.

It may take a little more time to see a return on your investment, especially in this current climate, but staying proactive and adjusting your strategy based on the market trends should help in the long run. Best of luck with your listing—I hope things pick up soon!