How Do You Make Sure Airbnb Guests Read Your House Rules?

Suzette81
Level 2
Washington, DC

How Do You Make Sure Airbnb Guests Read Your House Rules?

Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well!  What strategies have you found effective in getting guests to pay attention to your rules? Do you include them in your listing description, send them in a message, or maybe even have them posted somewhere in the rental? What has worked better for you? 

19 Replies 19

Hi @Alex1485 

Thanks for replying! Thankfully I have had great guests and no one has really broken any major rules. But I have a property in an old condominium and I have some rules in place to protect the property (more the plumbing system which is old) like no flushing things in the toilet or draining cooking oil in the sink etc. for me it's more about preventing a major issue that could have been avoided. But yes, I agree with you that if you do a good guest screening most guests are great maybe I'm just overthinking it. Thanks though! 

Hi! 

Our place is circa 1896, we have the same issues, plus our apt is the "plumbing hub"~ so when things happen in other units, it impacts us...

We approach this dilemma in one of two ways~

We do remind guests, with our morning check in message, to take extra care...

based upon the guest..we are either extremely direct or quirky.

You may want to consider using the "biodegradable enzyme/ eating stuff once a month" ...sorry, forgot what it is called... as we were considering doing this, once we check with our plumber..

We try not to worry about it, but are prepared if it doesn't...We have a snake/plunger on hand, as well as emergency plumbing number, and relationship with hotel that can take emergency guests. 

On a quick note, no real way to screen guests,  after 9 years, we just trust our gut.

hi again, sorry, you are most welcome! happy to help anytime..

personally, forgot to mention, we are just anti-sign...how can one relax anywhere, when you are dodging signs..especially in the bathroom..lol..

for the oil~ if your guests cook~ I would definitely place something similar to a "composting canister" in the kitchen, and direct guests to this...but your housekeeper is going to have to empty/change after each guest. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

requiring guests to read and acknowledge prior to booking means they will forget by the time their stay happens. I ask for emails and send an agreement and house info 10 days prior to their arrival. If they don’t send back an agreement they don’t get entry instructions. Period.

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I have the setting whereby Guests can Instant Book but only if they already have good reviews. If they are new, they have to ask me. 

The minute someone books, I communicate with them.  Then, when the "free cancellation" period ends (5 days before their stay), I tell them the check in information in more detail. 

I suppose it depends what kind of place you have and where it is.  The most important thing is NO SMOKING - and a big sign on the wall by the door is the easiest way to deal with this.