How often do you replace things in your listing?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How often do you replace things in your listing?

We do an inventory at the end of the year and replace things like towels, sheets, etc if needed. For things like cookware and knives, every 2 years seems to be what we are running at. All of this is dependent on how guests use items and some do get replaced earlier if they are destroyed.

What about furnishings though? Rugs? Artwork and decor? Do you replace those as a refresh from time to time? Or do you just keep them until they wear out? Is there anything you find yourself replacing more often than you would like?

1 Best Answer
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

2x adults, 1 x small child plus  1 x older child2x adults, 1 x small child plus 1 x older childBasic arrival sets for 2 x adults with 2 x small childrenBasic arrival sets for 2 x adults with 2 x small children

@Laura2592 , @Jessica-and-Henry0 , @Sandra957 , @John5097 , @Sarah977 

I’m like Sarah and I change linens over, after I scrutinise them after washing. Makeup, greasy, sweaty body oils and artificial tanning products kill off my sheets.
Makeup is the main culprit of towels, but I’ve also had home hair colours or peroxide wreck them! Yep, they didn’t have time to do the hair before the holiday, so lightened their blonde hair regrowth on my towels.... ( GRRRR)

I provide per per adult:

- a white Queen towel minimum 500-600 gsm

- a thinner dark bath towel

- matching dark hand towel

-thicker white face cloth

- matching dark face cloth

Kids towels age appropriate and coloured bath towel sets.

- Then there’s the spare bath mats, hand towels and a pool bath sheet each for adults. Kids get design/size appropriate towels.

* I also provide makeup and general wipes in the bath cabinet, front and centre.

* If females are in the booking, I ensure I have at least two sanitary pads (thin profile, but self adhesive “super”: not regular). Maybe four if of the same family household (due to “cycling” in unison does happen.)   That way, it will cover emergencies for late nights or mornings, before they can reach a supermarket or chemist. Not my concern if they prefer tampons....... my priority is to provide a base supply suitable to ANY age in an emergency, plus protect my bedding.  

But I literally just try to think as a guest. 

If I think I would not be happy with a colour of a sheet or a stain, it becomes dog bedding or rags. Many a white towel has gone to family for pets etc. for those yellow stains are just yuk, and NO-ONE wants to dry themselves with it, no matter how clean it is....... Eww..... ( yes, the psychological game is afoot.

[I also provide some old thin towels in a separate cupboard for use by guests, if they get caught out sightseeing in monsoonal rains. ( 1 each)

I always keep some spare glasses and crockery etc, away from the space that make replacements easy. I have spare cushion covers for changing around and same for outdoor pool entertaining etc. Many of my sleeping pillows are date stamped, so those get replaced as the date is reached.

I’ve changed up art work and plants vases etc as needed, or I’m bored with the look!  Lol

So  my purchasing of linen and other items is always on the go, but only when on special. So I buy before I need that next sheet set etc.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592  I wish there was a clear answer to this question!  I've been told to replace linens every year, but I don't - that seems too wasteful when they're in good shape.  Anything stained or torn or yellowed has to go, but good sheets that retain their pristine white color with good care just get better with age.  I replace bath rugs every year, and dish towels very frequently.  I don't replace knives, but I have them sharpened every year.  Baking sheets and non-stick pans need to be replaced more frequently than saucepans.  I get rid of glassware and dishes when they chip and always try to maintain a full set.  It would all be a lot easier if there was a simple checklist that one attended to once a year, but it never works out like that.

@Ann72  yes, we don't throw out anything that still looks and operates perfectly, but we do replace things that get grimy or just don't look fresh. Guests are hard on our kitchenware and knives and we didn't purchase super high-end items to begin hosting. We upgraded a bit this year with the replacements and hopefully, that will help them to last longer,

Part of me wants to do some redecorating and give our space a more traditional cottage-y feel. That's pretty considerable expense and our furnishings aren't really worn enough to justify it. I could try to sell them but its always tricky to plan projects around guest stays. So I was wondering if others do regular updates, replace as needed, or just try to keep everything intact as long as possible. 

@Laura2592  I was attempting to answer your question - "How often do you replace things in your listing?," and it looks like the answer is "do regular updates, replace as needed, or just try to keep everything intact as long as possible" 😂

If you're itching to redecorate, just channel our interiors hero @Huma0 and go for it.  I think Huma always has a project on the boil.  I typically only add a bit of art or decor here and there, but my urge to renovate took over recently so I'm re-doing my New York kitchen, which will require me to block my calendar and go to Maine during the worst of it.  So one way or another, a reno project means taking the listing off the table 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Sorry, just seeing this now. Thanks for the compliment! 

@Laura2592 

I don't have any timelines for updates. This big, old house needs constant attention. Because I am always (and I literally mean always) trying to get this or that fixed, the more cosmetic updates often end up on the back burner and I also try to fit those in around guest bookings. I am hardworking, a good multitasker and work well under pressure, but I'm such a procrastinator, so I think having some sort of schedule for this stuff that I at least try to stick to might be quite helpful! I will give it a go and get back to you on that one.

As for stuff, I'm nowhere near organised enough to have an inventory, but if I had a separate rental rather than hosting in my own home, that would be a different matter. When it comes to thinks like bedlinen and towels, I just buy something when I see what I like at a good price. TK Maxi/Homesense is my best friend for that. I've bought great quality stuff and low prices. However, I'm starting to think it's a waste of money buying lovely towels as they get wrecked so quickly. The bedlinen seems to fair better, but some guests treat towels like they're disposable. I recently had some gorgeous ones destroyed by hair bleach. I should probably stick to simple, white ones rather than coordinating them with the room's decor.

Another thing that I notice has a very high turnover is frying pans (but not the saucepans, which I've had for years). I replaced all of mine with really good quality ones (ceramic and also stainless steel) and they were all ruined almost immediately. The steel I managed to revive with Bar Keeper's Friend and a lot of elbow grease, but the non-stick ones are done for. Any advice? I know it's not my pans which are at fault, as there are a couple of them that guests never seem to use but I do, and they still look brand new.

I hate wastage and try to be environmentally conscious, but maybe I should just buy cheap stuff and treat it as disposable... 😞

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Towels seem to wear out fast so I replace them frequently (as use them for myself). People appreciate newer, fluffy towels.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Bed sheets-after 100-150 wash cycles.

Towels will last longer- 200-250 wash cycles.

Probably some very expensive sets will last longer.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Wrapping up my first year. I have about 8 sets of sheets for one bed, so sheets seem to be holding up well. Oxyclean is my new best friend! 🙂 Towels are kind of stiff but every other guest seems to use them to remove makeup so don't want to get more expensive ones. Utensils are all in good shape, like new, but the knives were cheap and often have rust spots after the dishwasher that i have to scrub off, so looking to replace those. Two bedspreads didn't hold up very well, but I got them on sale so learning what works and doesn't, and try to find decent quality stuff on sale. Pretty soon I'll have lots of extra sheets that I'll need to mark somehow so they don't accidentally get mixed in with the new guest sheets. Some other pillows that were too hard I'll need to donate with some other odds and ends. I'd like to provide even higher end towels and and sheets but too many guest leave them stained. 

Edit: At least guet don't complain about kind of cheap towels. My listing also tends to attract mostly females because they feel its safe and clean, so while I'm fine with getting makeup out of towels and such I'm probably lucky to have so few problems. 

@Emilia42 

So perfect! Almost bought some plain black ones at BBB but didn't think of that! I have the makeup removers, but if the label "make up remover" falls off they all instantly stop using them and use the towels, so this is perfect! 🙂  

I supply black or brown face cloths that seems to help with makeup.  And I spray stains with resolve before washing

@John5097  Re stiff towels. I have never had to replace the towels I bought a few years ago, partly because I don't have high guest turnover and because I've never had a guest stain one. I bought those towels at Walmart- they were thick and fluffy, but inexpensive. I had a guest ask how I keep my towels so soft, but I really have no idea 🙂

I wash everything in cool water and hang on the line to dry and have never used fabric softener.

@Sarah977 So funny I was just at Walmart and purchased 4 of their towels I had to double check the price after check out to make sure they weren't misplaced. Very soft. I read that vinegar in the washing machine helps keep towels soft and clean. I use Spray and Wash for any makeup and most of the time its water based, at least that's what I'm guessing, but some of the mascara must be some kind of waterproof. I'm not using bleach anymore after one of the guest mentioned it in very constructive comment, although I only used it as an extra stain remover. I also keep a five gallon bucket by the WD and let pillow cases, sheets or towels that have a stain soak over night with a little Oxyclean when necessary. I wish I could use the sun more so more power to you. 🙂  

@John5097 I bought those towels 4 years ago and I seem to recall they were about $6-$8 each and was also kind of amazed. I had no idea how they would hold up, but I've sure gotten my money's worth.

I wonder if the fact that I don't use hot water or a dryer has anything to do with them staying soft.

@Sarah977 I have some from Belks I got for myself years ago that are still very soft while the new ones I got from Belks, BBB or Amazon, in last year got really hard after use and washing/drying.  Wish I could have found the same towels at Belks again. What I read is there is no advantage to using hot water except to remove stains, the dryer does get very hot, but UV light and the sun is great. For me being a guy with new listing, my guest probably feel more reassured the sheets and bedding gets washed in the the W/D in the rental. I also read that having good towels was very important, but so far guest haven't complained about super stiff towels.