How often do you replace things in your listing?

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How often do you replace things in your listing?

We do an inventory at the end of the year and replace things like towels, sheets, etc if needed. For things like cookware and knives, every 2 years seems to be what we are running at. All of this is dependent on how guests use items and some do get replaced earlier if they are destroyed.

What about furnishings though? Rugs? Artwork and decor? Do you replace those as a refresh from time to time? Or do you just keep them until they wear out? Is there anything you find yourself replacing more often than you would like?

1 Best Answer
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

2x adults, 1 x small child plus  1 x older child2x adults, 1 x small child plus 1 x older childBasic arrival sets for 2 x adults with 2 x small childrenBasic arrival sets for 2 x adults with 2 x small children

@Laura2592 , @Jessica-and-Henry0 , @Sandra957 , @John5097 , @Sarah977 

I’m like Sarah and I change linens over, after I scrutinise them after washing. Makeup, greasy, sweaty body oils and artificial tanning products kill off my sheets.
Makeup is the main culprit of towels, but I’ve also had home hair colours or peroxide wreck them! Yep, they didn’t have time to do the hair before the holiday, so lightened their blonde hair regrowth on my towels.... ( GRRRR)

I provide per per adult:

- a white Queen towel minimum 500-600 gsm

- a thinner dark bath towel

- matching dark hand towel

-thicker white face cloth

- matching dark face cloth

Kids towels age appropriate and coloured bath towel sets.

- Then there’s the spare bath mats, hand towels and a pool bath sheet each for adults. Kids get design/size appropriate towels.

* I also provide makeup and general wipes in the bath cabinet, front and centre.

* If females are in the booking, I ensure I have at least two sanitary pads (thin profile, but self adhesive “super”: not regular). Maybe four if of the same family household (due to “cycling” in unison does happen.)   That way, it will cover emergencies for late nights or mornings, before they can reach a supermarket or chemist. Not my concern if they prefer tampons....... my priority is to provide a base supply suitable to ANY age in an emergency, plus protect my bedding.  

But I literally just try to think as a guest. 

If I think I would not be happy with a colour of a sheet or a stain, it becomes dog bedding or rags. Many a white towel has gone to family for pets etc. for those yellow stains are just yuk, and NO-ONE wants to dry themselves with it, no matter how clean it is....... Eww..... ( yes, the psychological game is afoot.

[I also provide some old thin towels in a separate cupboard for use by guests, if they get caught out sightseeing in monsoonal rains. ( 1 each)

I always keep some spare glasses and crockery etc, away from the space that make replacements easy. I have spare cushion covers for changing around and same for outdoor pool entertaining etc. Many of my sleeping pillows are date stamped, so those get replaced as the date is reached.

I’ve changed up art work and plants vases etc as needed, or I’m bored with the look!  Lol

So  my purchasing of linen and other items is always on the go, but only when on special. So I buy before I need that next sheet set etc.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Heather1086
Level 9
Boring, OR

We have been at this a year and so far the only loss are a few towels and I think 2 sheets that were stained.  I got the black makeup washcloths like 6 months in and love them... as do guests. Since we have a hottub and the resort has a pool I also provide colorful pool towels that have saved our regular white ones.
As far as the kitchen so far so good.  I bought midrange stuff that have held up well.  Have had to replace broken target glasses and goblets, if I were to star again I’d get stemless for durability. Most of what we have replaced is due to things that have gone missing.  Some friends who had a STR before we got into this told us to not put anything in the house that we wouldn’t be willing to replace.  Things just end up getting lost or broken.

we are fortunate that our house has good attic storage so I basically have extras of everything there and when we go up every couple months I trade out anything that looks questionable.

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Laura2592   Greetings Laura.  Here we have a high density turnover of guests staying 1 to 3 nights mostly.  We get petty theft of towels sometimes so we must replace often but two youngsters stole a new duvet (comforter) and one guest burned a cigarette hole through a completely new king size duvet. It had only arrived from Amazon the day before so we were really peeved and had to order again.   What we do have to replace fairly regularly are duvet covers and pillow covers because they get washed so often. The colours fade.

Best wishes from Anthony in Portugal

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Once a year I buy new linens, usually in January, when it is high season here.

Towels, probably I replace them once a year. However I do not have an schedule to do this.

Once in while I have to replace blankets and pillows!

What I know for sure, if something gets worn out, I dispose of it.

Sandra957
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

When I first started hosting I supplied all white towels, which sometimes proved very difficult to wash clean with some guests,  having to use a stain remover to remove stains mainly make up.

Now I provide each guest with a dark blue bath sheet and face cloth and a white hand towel, providing a face cloth has really improved things and are usually used.

I find the towels now last looking fresh longer.

As to the bedding once a stain refuses to remove itself I get rid of it. I’ve only had one guest that seemed to prefer to put make up over the duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases and the stains wouldn’t come out. But generally most small marks come off quite easily.

I think you have to use your judgement and replace once towels and linen look shabby.

@Laura2592 

Since we mostly hosted long-term guests, we didn't have frequent turnovers so Henry and I would go through everything after a long-term exchange student guest checked out (about once every 6 months)  and take out anything that was starting to look shabby or was stained. During 3 yrs of hosting, we replaced 1 pillow cover that was starting to look a little threadbare and removed 2 towels that had barely noticeable stains from a guest's hair dye. We now use them for our friends pets when they come over 😁 

Our guest bedding and towels are all different shades of blue or grey, and other than the hair dye stains that wouldn't completely come out, we haven't had much trouble removing stains with a good soak and a little elbow grease~ 

For cookware and kitchen utensils, our kitchen is shared so whenever Henry says it's time for new pans/pots/knives/utensils Henry will buy what he wants - we got a few new things after the 1st yr of hosting, then a lot of new stuff at the end of the 2nd yr of hosting. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

2x adults, 1 x small child plus  1 x older child2x adults, 1 x small child plus 1 x older childBasic arrival sets for 2 x adults with 2 x small childrenBasic arrival sets for 2 x adults with 2 x small children

@Laura2592 , @Jessica-and-Henry0 , @Sandra957 , @John5097 , @Sarah977 

I’m like Sarah and I change linens over, after I scrutinise them after washing. Makeup, greasy, sweaty body oils and artificial tanning products kill off my sheets.
Makeup is the main culprit of towels, but I’ve also had home hair colours or peroxide wreck them! Yep, they didn’t have time to do the hair before the holiday, so lightened their blonde hair regrowth on my towels.... ( GRRRR)

I provide per per adult:

- a white Queen towel minimum 500-600 gsm

- a thinner dark bath towel

- matching dark hand towel

-thicker white face cloth

- matching dark face cloth

Kids towels age appropriate and coloured bath towel sets.

- Then there’s the spare bath mats, hand towels and a pool bath sheet each for adults. Kids get design/size appropriate towels.

* I also provide makeup and general wipes in the bath cabinet, front and centre.

* If females are in the booking, I ensure I have at least two sanitary pads (thin profile, but self adhesive “super”: not regular). Maybe four if of the same family household (due to “cycling” in unison does happen.)   That way, it will cover emergencies for late nights or mornings, before they can reach a supermarket or chemist. Not my concern if they prefer tampons....... my priority is to provide a base supply suitable to ANY age in an emergency, plus protect my bedding.  

But I literally just try to think as a guest. 

If I think I would not be happy with a colour of a sheet or a stain, it becomes dog bedding or rags. Many a white towel has gone to family for pets etc. for those yellow stains are just yuk, and NO-ONE wants to dry themselves with it, no matter how clean it is....... Eww..... ( yes, the psychological game is afoot.

[I also provide some old thin towels in a separate cupboard for use by guests, if they get caught out sightseeing in monsoonal rains. ( 1 each)

I always keep some spare glasses and crockery etc, away from the space that make replacements easy. I have spare cushion covers for changing around and same for outdoor pool entertaining etc. Many of my sleeping pillows are date stamped, so those get replaced as the date is reached.

I’ve changed up art work and plants vases etc as needed, or I’m bored with the look!  Lol

So  my purchasing of linen and other items is always on the go, but only when on special. So I buy before I need that next sheet set etc.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Laura2592 ,Melodie and I usually get the final life out of Towels and bedding thats not guest ready in our host suite (hand me downs!)!  Otherwise, things get changed when they show signs of wear (usually we step it up when we do).  Stay well, JR