How to remove license? AirBnB unlisted and now I can't re-list [Toronto]

Chris-And-Hoss0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

How to remove license? AirBnB unlisted and now I can't re-list [Toronto]

Hey all, 

I obtained a license from my city to host short-term. I got approved and got my license. 

I entered all my details in AirBnB under the regulations section. 

All was well for 2 months, then suddenly 2 days ago I got an email saying my listing was deactivated because the city revoked my license?!

I've contacted the City and AirBnB and either of them know what's going on. My city just keeps saying to ensure the address and legal name match exactly to what i've entered in my airbnb profile...which it is (hence why it was working fine for 2 months). 

Anyway, at this point I'm just wanting to REMOVE my license from my listing so I can at least host long-term until this is resolved. But I can't. Here's what happens: 

1. Regulations page says my license is not valid, so I click the link that says "Host long-term stays instead"
  2. It redirects me to the page where I can set the minimum number of nights, which I set to 28 days
  3. I click on save, then try to publish my listing, but get an error that says "You cannot list your place without a valid registration"

I'm not sure what else to do. I have 5-star reviews I don't want to lose by creating a new listing, and AirBnB has been absolutely no help. 

I just want to remove my license information. That's all. 

My City wants to review my listing but can't...because I can't publish the listing without a valid license, and setting it to a 28 day minimum doesn't work. 

Any ideas?

9 Replies 9
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Chris-And-Hoss0 Changing to a 28 day minimum has nothing to do with liscencing or registration .Use your computer , not your phone and go into your account settings.There is nothing at all to stop you delisting and renting via a real estate agent . ... H

Thanks for the feedback. 

What do you mean by account settings? There's literally no option in the user interface that let's met remove my license (whether I want to host short term or not). Not on the app and not on desktop. 

The only workaround is creating another listing without a license, but I lose all my reviews for the property. 

As well, I'm not sure what you mean by "There is nothing at all to stop you delisting and renting via a real estate agent". How does this work exactly? 

I find it interesting that my license exists in my City's database, but AirBnB suddenly can't validate it. 

What I mean is that my property shows up in their database here: https://open.toronto.ca/dataset/short-term-rentals-registration/

And yet my Airbnb listing was unlisted and I can't relist. 

@Chris-And-Hoss0 Chris I am not sure what your issue is or why you cannot find acc settings. Your listing has been taken down and now shows as 'new' . I think this is an internal issue and you may  still have the 'ghost listing ' ...H

also a new listing may require a new application as the data may see it as a separate listing ... H

I created a duplicate listing so that I could at the very least list my space for long term bookings. 

So now I have: 

1.  One active listing for min 28 days (my city declares short term as anything less than 28 days)...listing is active but doesn't show up

2. One deactivate listing which I cannot activate because of license issues. I can't remove the license at all (or switch to long term only). This is the listing with all of my reviews. 

So basically I have 1 active/published long term listing which isn't  showing up at all, and another short-term listing which isn't working. 

Chris-And-Hoss0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I've called Airbnb support multiple times and exchanged lots of emails over this issue. 

My license still doesn't work and I still can't list it even though I've set the minimum stay to 28 days. My city can't view the listing to approve it. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I even sent Airbnb a screen recording of the issue and literally not one person has responded.

I called again yesterday and the man I spoke with said he saw the emails and video I sent. I was told I'd get an update via Airbnb messages, but I haven't received anything. Complete silence. 

Airbnb just keeps closing the case and saying further communication will be my email. 

**[Image removed - Community Center Guidelines]

@Bhumikaany suggestions on how to proceed? Are you able to nudge CS in any way? There's been no resolution to date and no response since Aug 3rd. 

Thank you. 

Hi @Chris-And-Hoss0, Sorry for the late response!

Did you hear back from the Support team since you posted?

I read in one of your responses below that you have created 2 listings. Does the published one show up in the search now?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for the reply. The issue is resolved, but unfortunately it required me to create a new listing and attaching my old license to the new listing.

I feel bad for the 11 guests who lost their bookings. I've read online/reddit that this happens somewhat often in Toronto.

There really should be some sort of warning or delay to try to resolve the issue before all of the bookings get cancelled. It's a pretty terrible experience for guests. 

Anyway, I've lost all of the reviews associated with my listing (which is frustrating because it shows up as new and the algorithm isn't pushing my listing like before). I understand the issue was caused by the City's systems (I was told by a City by-law officer they are aware it's "glitchy").