Renting my flat while on holiday in September

Answered!

Renting my flat while on holiday in September

Hi,

I'm planning on letting my 1 bed flat, in London suburbs, while I'm on holiday for 10 days. It's my home and it would be the first time that I would be letting it.

I would like to ask from others who let their homes:

>what are the essentials to provide

>how much of my personal things do I need to remove (I don't have any additional storage space)

>will I need a cleaner

>how do transition back to normal after guests have gone

Sorry if these seem like basic questions, but I'm keen to avoid any major mistakes.

Thanks,

Abdullah

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. It depends on which guests you are targetting and the type of property. Do some market research around what comparable listings in your location are offering.

2. You need to store away any valuable items either sentimental or cost wise. You need to provide clothes storage in all bedrooms and provide food and fridge space and clean the fridge/freezer

3. If you are comfortable that you can provide a professional clean then do it yourself if not employ a cleaner

4. I don't understand the question @Abdullah145 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. It depends on which guests you are targetting and the type of property. Do some market research around what comparable listings in your location are offering.

2. You need to store away any valuable items either sentimental or cost wise. You need to provide clothes storage in all bedrooms and provide food and fridge space and clean the fridge/freezer

3. If you are comfortable that you can provide a professional clean then do it yourself if not employ a cleaner

4. I don't understand the question @Abdullah145 

Hi @Helen3 

Re 4) I guess what I'm asking is: Is there anything I need to cover before moving back in besides, recover the keys, clean.

Should I do an inventory check for instance, look for damage etc?

Re 1) It's a 1 bed flat in a block of flats, separate living room, kitchen and a bathroom. In terms of guests, I'm open minded as long as they clean after themselves and take care on account of it's my home

Re 2) Thanks that's helpful

Re 3) Thanks that's helpful

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Abdullah145 If you only have one guest during the 10 days then you won't need a cleaner - just someone to hand over the keys at get them back at the end of the stay. My question is do you have the agreement of your mortgage company, the freeholder, and the freeholders insurance company? You probably need all these or risk big issues even if nothing goes wrong.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

Thanks for the advice, I will check with the freeholder and mortgage company. I assume I will need independent insurance? I know AirBnB provide some cover but I've heard different recommendations about getting your own.

@Abdullah145 the important thing is to check that your insurance and that of the building are not invalidated by Airbnbing the flat.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I emailed my flat management company and they've confirmed that Air BnB isn't covered by the Building Insurance.

Again might be a stupid question, but does stop things in it's tracks or are there workarounds, i.e. short term cover?

Thanks

@Abdullah145 as an individual flat leaseholder I don't think you can arrange coverage for the whole building. I suspect it is time to give up on Airbnb for such a short period of time.