How to verify a phone number?

Answered!
Colleen-And-Don0
Level 4
California, United States

How to verify a phone number?

I am trying to Verify a phone number, but I get the message "Sorry, we cannot send verification code to this number. Please make sure you input the correct mobile number."

Both numbers I am trying ARE correct but the system will not send me a text or a call.  A third number (landline) but not 2 mobiles. 

Why the error?

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Colleen-And-Don0 I would contact Airbnb on this.  I'm sure they can fix your phone numbers in the system.  Here's how to contact Airbnb:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

View Best Answer in original post

39 Replies 39
Jon151
Level 1
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

Hi, 

Had the same issue and i have got around this and sharing so it maybe helpful to someone/anyone! i'm in the uk an called their customer service 0203 3181111 (0044 203 3181111). the issue is with the phone network. i'm with Tesco mobile and it doesn't appear to be supported due to it using another 'frequency'- what this means in essence is that Tesco uses O2 for its network and because of this it won;t support the number even though it's been my number for 20 years! if you had a number with the big providers eg EE, Vodafone, O2, Virgin etc it wouldn't be a problem LycaMobile is another that is not supported. The solution was to put in my landline number. The house phone rings within a few seconds and an automated voicegives you a verification code that you input. That worked for me and i was able to complete registration and booking. Seems weird, i know that certian networks are supported and not others. hope this is helpful. Jon

Angela339
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

>The solution was to put in my landline number.

Laughably my problem is the opposite - that the system won't let me register my land-line number!  We have added a second mobile number but would like to also add our landline.

The error I get is the same (use another number) and the advice from the Help desk is the same (your number is from a dodgy supplier).  This is a BT number that we've been using for 30+ years!

I'm having the same issue.  I'm wondering if it's related to using a prepaid cell service (straight talk owned by Walmart.) The previous person had an issue with a Tesco (UK store similar to Walmart.)  I'm guessing its 100% related to a phone that you can buy and get service anonymously, or not linked to a credit report.  I fail on mobile app too. 😞  I'm amazed Uber can verify using my drivers license to drive people around but AirBNB can't.  Who has a landline these days?  Can't they use a passport, drivers license, etc? UGH!

@Jim235 I use a prepaid phone from Walmart and I don't have any issues with it.  :). What Airbnd does allow are VOIP phones (Voice Over Internet Protocol).

@Jim235 meant to say "does not allow". 

I had issues with my phone number and tried all online avenues.  Eventually I just phone AirBnB and they sorted it out within a day. For me it was due to living in Channel Islands and having a telephone provider that is not available in the UK. They sorted it out quickly and politely and contacted me a couple of times in the process til it was done. No point in keep going online to sort. Just phone them. 

Swetha1
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I have the same issue with verifying my phone number (tried the app the website). The brillant service rep (first one hunge up and the second one was not helpful) mentioned there is NOTHING they can do about this. The only option for me to use Airbnb is to get a new number from local provides (Three, Vodafone). Its an absoulte impractical solution. Why would someone change thier contact number and go through the hassel of it just because airbnb cannot verify it?

I dont think I will be using them! Huge loss of prospective users considering the number of us facing the same issue. 

sorry 

I've been trying to verify my phone number now for 2 days. I've contacted Airbnb administration, my phone company and I'm getting nowhere. I now realize that I have too little activity on my account

After 2 weeks of back and forward with emails and two phone calls nothing been done. I feel helples and frustrating. Trying to set up hosting account and we can't verify the phone number. we tried 2 pay as you go we went to take one phone on the contract and landline. we went to discuss the issue with our network provider. Customer service which called us on the phone which need to be verified  couldn't help us and sounded like they dont have a clue at all!!! NOTHING works. I tried the app and now i am out of options.