Important thing to be aware of before using Airbnb professional photo service

Answered!
Kyi1
Level 6
Ottawa, Canada

Important thing to be aware of before using Airbnb professional photo service

Recently, me and my partner decided to use professional photo service from Airbnb since we thought quality photos may attract more guests. On the appointment day, a young local photographer showed up and took photos. Few days later, he uploaded processed photos to the listings by himself. That wasn't issue at all, as he had already mentioned that during photo shootout and we trusted him to produce quality photos.  However, we were disappointed with all photos. Although framing is alright, colours are all over-processed and don't even look realistic anymore (like those HDR photos you see on web). When we asked for original photos (so that we could adjust to our liking), he refused and said AIrbnb doesn't allow him to do that. I find that rule ridiculous and totally unfair. We have already paid for the photos and we should get to keep the orginals. With this rule, we can't even make small framing/color adjustments. We are at the mercy of a photographer who will process as per his taste which may not agree to ours. It was a waste of over $100.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yasmin264 

Yasmin, if the photos look to good to be true.....they probably are.

I recommend you stay away from listings that use professional photography. Its not just that the photography makes the area look twice the size in is in reality....... like this one.....  

asset-1429743931668 b.png

It's the additional 'props' that are introduced for the 'fashion shoot' that disappear as soon as the photos have been taken.

I recently included this picture on another post here, but it graphically illustrates what I am talking about. This was the subject of a refund claim against Airbnb. The guest thought he was getting what was illustrated in the top photo.....he took and submitted to Airbnb the reality of the bottom picture to show how he felt he was deceived!

kitchen_reality (1).png

Unfortunately Yasmin professional photography is going to show up on any platform....not just Airbnb. Hosts want to make their property look as good as possible but, as soon as you see glitzy, almost fisheye, light N airy photos, move on to another listing with photos that look just that little bit less than perfect!

Cheers........Rob 

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Just to be contraversial - I recommend every host to have professional photography because otherwise you end up with the dross illustrated by @Robin4 's screenshots.

Putting the camera in the right position to make the most of the subject, staging, setting the lighting, not falsifying the images afterwards, effectively handling colour casts - and not shooting at night like that first screenshot! - is part of what you will get with professional photography.

@Kyi1 Utmost, you should be happy with the photography you receive for your payment. If you don't like it, you should not pay - or the photographer should make things right. Tell him why you're unhappy and request that he corrects the images to your satisfaction. You should not need to do anything. The HDR or Luminosity masking tecniques are used by people who don't know how to create real photoraphs, even your back yard looks like a cartoon because of this.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Well Ian, it was professional photography that ended up with your 'dross' that those screenshots depicted.

The major problem is not that the listing will be depicted in a false light, it is the fact that neither the photographer or Airbnb (if they provide it) will amend shortcomings the host will want to have addressed with the end result. They are stuck with it and we hear of that so often here on the CC.

I, at times wished I could have had more 'adaptable' imagery, particularly in my cottage bathroom, but If I had it would have shown it in a false light....it would have made it look something that it wasn't. This listing is not the Savoy Plaza, it's just a humble converted garage, it's got a few warts but I want to show those warts I don't want it tarted up and give guests an unrealistic expectation. 

In over 300 reviews, nobody has ever said my listing did not match the description, I have always copped a 5 for accuracy.....and I am happy to live with that!

@Ale113  It does surprise me that you struggle with a13Mg phone camera. That should be adequate depending on the processor. I use an Oppo R17 mobile phone with a 25 Mg main camera in it. But any Iphone beyond a 5 (which has an 8 mg camera) will take pictures that are of excellent quality.

Cheers.....Rob

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 

Well Ian, it was professional photography that ended up with your 'dross' that those screenshots depicted.

This was the dross I was reffering to Rob. By no stretch of the imagination is that 'professional'. Probably taken on a mobile phone after a late night Toastie. 

dross2.jpg

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Ian, you have missunderstood what I said in my post. Go back and look at it. The shot you have just reproduced is the the shot the guest took when he complained to the resolution centre about the accuracy of the description, and wanted his money back, and he no doubt took it with his mobile phone, but nevertheless it is a genuine image of what the guest actually walked into.

But the guest booked the listing based in part on this 'professional' photo of exactly the same scene. This is what he saw in the listing photos........

kitchen_reality (3).png

What the guest got was not what the images he saw lead him to believe he was going to get!

Ian, I have looked at your listings and you have obviously used a professional photographer!

Your listing photos look wonderful but, I cannot offer an opinion as to how genuine they are because....they are professional photographs, they are designed to bring out the best in your property.

Ian, I have always subscribed to the theory, 'The less a guest expects, the more they will be delighted with what they get'....and with more than 300 reviews (225 of them here on Airbnb) , that has not let me down! 

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 

I didn't misunderstand anything you said. The two apartments are misrepresented by the fact they are materially different. Even the plumbing is different. Theres nothing wrong with the photography, considering all, for Airbnb its pretty good. It is inaccurate by not showing the bricked window but at least the guest got a washing machine in his listing.

It just goes to show how badly a mobile phone can misrepresent a place too in the wrong hands. Bad lens, bad angle, bad lighting, (at night ?)...

Yes, I hold my hands up. I used a professional photographer on my listing. It was me.

Of course they are designed to bring out the best of my property. Thats what they're there for! Thats why you would appoint a professional photographer and thats what you should expect to receive. They are by the way 100% accurate so no opinion is necessary and none of them are missleading. A few of the access photos are snaps on a mobile phone so too one of the bathrooms.

Disappointingly, one guest said the photographs didn't do my place justice and the view was far better than they expected. (Thats a problem - getting 180 degree views into a 900px wide photo). Our private website handles that better.

I don't have any sayings, but people buy via photography because nothing more can be said in less time than by having good quality interesting photographs. Thats why Airbnb and every other platform put their listing photography first. Thats why every lead story in magazines and newsapers are lead by photographs. Once your attention is caught - you read. 

People might miss all the Terms and Conditions and House Rules - but they won't miss the photos. If you want to book, first impressions are the ones that count.

All what you say is thoughful, @Robin4 

But you must considerer that guest can put a 3* in accuracy for other reasons a part of photos.

For example, I received one 3* because guests didn't know I got dogs, another girl gave me 3* in accuracy because she didn't agree with the extra charge for hairdryer.

Notice that I have the House Rules in a photo, written in the description, set in the House Rules (Booking settings), before paying they receive a message saying if the have read and feel ok with them. Once they book, I send them again a message asking if the had read them and feel ok.

Accuracy is not just about photos, at least in guests' reviews.

Airbnb forbids them to send photos directly to us. He is only allowed to upload them directly to the listing. So trying to get him adjust the photos the way I like them would mean I will have to talk to him, then he will take his time to make adjustment and take his time to upload. This process will repeat until  the result is satisfactory. This will take so much of my time and I rather cut the lost now then later. And  the worst is, he is not that responsive.

I think that professional photography is necessary. The photos I took myself were really ugly, and people kept telling me my space was better than my listing indicated. I think the professional photos are more indicative of reality, but it is beneficial to minimize editing.

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Hello @Robin4  😄

When I take photos, with a good mobile camera 13mp, the photo doesn't look as the reality neither. It looks darker and the perspective is different that what I see with eyes.

Personally I like photographers and I do appreciate their talent (luckily I have met artistic and fair ones!). So, if I had the change of having nice pics in a reasonable price, I would ask for it. I think not everyone can do a realistic and complete shot, that makes the right feeling! 😉

I have seen some photos of places that are truly horrible. I would never book a house like that. To me, it is like the host was saying "I don't love this place".

Sorry for my English! xd

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I thought my pictures were okay until I learned thru this forum that I neede pix of the closets (weird but kinda true) The hardest pictures to get right were the shots of the bathroom but with great foresight I birthed & raised a professional photographerwho was willing to show up at the golden hour. If we ever have a summer evening again, I'm going to ask him to re-shoot the deck pictures. Sally in chilly Berkeley

Tracie24
Level 7
Washington, DC

I had a young photography intern take my photos. I figured she could use the money and had a better eye and equipment than my phone.  I think they turned out great and my guests always say the apartment looks just like the photos so no 'bait & switch' here.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The quetion here is what phtographer worth their salt will come and do a shoot on location for 100, then go home and process them and upload. Not many. None probably. SO I don't know where they are finding them? Would be interesting to hear from one of the photographers here on the forum.

@Sandra126 

The photographers are found on Facebook through advertisements or by generally searching to become a Freelance Airbnb photographer. They are told that no image processing is required and that the images will be sent to San Francisco for processing and grading. The photographers are instructed NOT to use lighting, but to bracket the exposures for correction later. This is what leads to the cartoon effect. You will very unlikely hear from a photographer on the programme as they are required to sign a NDA for acceptance.

$100 (plus materials) would have been an OK rate 35 years ago. still, if it turns out wrong then whoever took payment are the ones who need to fix it.

Henry and I took our own photos, but we had my youngest sister (who dabbles in photography as a hobby) select which photos to use and give us advice about angles for the best shots. 

This is a photo she took several years ago that I'm particularly fond of 🙂 

KakaoTalk_20190604_214935523.jpg

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Kyi1 

Pictures taken with HDR on is very usual nowadays. I can not see a problem.

Maybe you are afraid that guests will find your listing somewhat different from the pictures when they arrive.

If you are a really minded to modify the pictures, you can download the pictures from your listing when browsing it. Then you can alter them to your taste and upload them again.