Is Superhost status worth the angst of trying to keep it!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Is Superhost status worth the angst of trying to keep it!

Many hosts will say that Superhost status is not worth aiming for, because it's an award that they have no control over. It is awarded by guests and every guest has a differing idea of what perfection is!

Hosts who place importance on that badge find themselves in a downhill spiral doing everything possible to try and build up a happy guest base and, in the process disadvantaging themselves, both mentally and financially........you just can't please everyone!

OK, let’s have a look at a few stats shall we:

• Only 19.4% of hosts achieve Superhost status.
  • 80% of Airbnb hosts receive a 4.5+ star rating.
  • 57% of Airbnb hosts failed to achieve Superhost status because they didn’t meet the 10+ minimum stays.
  • 9.8% of Airbnb hosts failed to achieve Superhost status because they didn’t meet the 4.8+ star review average.
  • Superhosts receive an average value star rating of 4.9, standard hosts average 4.6 stars.
  • Superhosts charge 11% less per night than standard hosts.
  • The average occupancy rate for a Superhost is 47%
  • The average occupancy rate for a standard host is 27%
  • Superhosts earn, on average, 60% more revenue per day than standard hosts.

*All data and statistics provided by Airdna, who specializes in providing insights and performance metrics for Airbnb.

Now point 6 seems to be at odds with  point 9.....how can you charge less but earn more? 

The answer of course is.....occupancy.

Those last 3 bullet points are the important ones for those hosts trying to optimise what they do.

The stats speak for themselves.

Airbnb Superhosts have higher occupancy rates, receive better reviews, and make more money.

We see here so many times,"My guest stays are drying up, how can I get more reservations" !

I am all the time receiving personal messages and emails from hosts wanting to know how to increase their guest traffic. Rather than answer them all personally I hope this post can be of some help!

Here is my list that might be of some assistance.

1/.........Make your listing description fun, not boring. Make it grab a searchers attention.

2/........Complete your listing thoroughly........Fill in every detail possible. Guests are not good at guessing.

3/........Stay away from 'fashion shoot' photography. Guests don't want to be let down when the reality doesn't meet the expectation.

4/........To improve your listing search placement, keep some activity happening on your site. Keep changing details, photos, description.

5/........Make sure your place is super-clean. Many guests think old is dirty, you have to be not just thorough, you have be seen to be thorough!

6/........Adjust your listing to suit the season. Guests don't want to see snow when they are after a summer getaway.

7/........Send guests a warm, welcoming personal message. They don't want to feel like they are a small cog in a big wheel.

8/........Answer guest enquiries/requests immediately. Guests will look elsewhere if they have to wait 10 hours for an answer.

9/.........Provide an awesome guest experience. Give them something nice they were not expecting.

10/.......Remember, last impression will be their lasting impression. Send them a nice departure message wishing them well for the future and hope your paths will cross again some day!

If you can put these suggestions into your listing, guests will reflect them in their reviews of you, your business will increase, your Superhost status will automatically follow you......and you will have money in the bank!

Good luck.

Cheers...........Rob

17 Replies 17
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3 

Yeah there are two different ratings Helen.

There is an overall rating which is a formula based on the percentage of your overall star ratings, and there is a Superhost rating which is based on your total accumulated stars.

Some guests give you a 5 overall but maybe a couple of 4's in the categories. Those 4's won't come into consideration in your overall rating but it will come into account for your Superhost rating. Same happens in reverse! They give you a 4 overall and maybe a 5's in the categories, those 5's won't be taken into account in your overall. 

Of my 665 reviews I have had 611 x five star. Now if you simply divide 611 as a percentage of 665 it comes out to 4.92.  So that is my overall rating!

Of the 665 reviews I have received, there is a possible total number of stars (1 overall and 6 categories) of 4,655.

I have actually received 4,190 and that as a percentage of my total comes out to 4.90, which is my Superhost rating!

So that is how it is worked out.

Seriously Helen if Airbnb were given a brief to design a pushbike this is what they would come up with......

funny-bike-design02.jpg

Cheers.......Rob

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4 your page has popped up again on notification and it is great to read again for the tips. As mentioned before No 4 is still good advice.

No 3 the fashion shoot is coming into play when they now ask is the accommodation the same as described in the pictures.

Also the accommodation property view is starting to be reviewed when you say you have a beach or lake view from your property as it appears some have photoshopped and added it to their listing.

is 

No 6 I have to support the season photo and you could have both seasons on the page with descriptions beside each photo.

No7 I Yes I agree with you because to me I try to take personal effort in replying as they will be my guests staying in my cottage that is on the same property space and we often see them coming and going. This is where we have our conversations of getting to know them without invading their space.

No 8 answeing bookings as soon as possible. I have just switched over from Instant Booking to Requests

I have had to have a mind set change and carry my phone around with me more. To me the phone isn't part of my appendage but what has been linked is my Fit Bit which sends me a message and I can see that Airbnb has sent a message (apparently an update when google boudht out Fit Bit) Thats another story

No 9 Like you with providing your guests with little extras when they arrivr. I leave a hamper for the guests to get started as most have travelled to stay and it means they don't have to go to the shops straight away.

No 10 The lasting impression is what they remember with reccommendations to their friends and relatives and reviews.

No 11  I have added from a different reading 

Yes, it was a picture book look

at @Helen3 home and story,. We have been to Bristol in the past and Helens guest book is calling us to visit again. I think last time we were travelling on a budget being a tourist from Downunder and taking in the history of the city. No time for the night-life but we missed the gardens and parks which would be calling us next time. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Laurelle3 

you'd be very welcome to stay if you want to visit Bristol again 

we are famous for our amazing night life and lovely open spaces . 

I'm glad you liked my visitor guide .