Legal liability form for using bikes

Legal liability form for using bikes

Hi all - we have a couple of nice bikes that we make available to our renters, BUT we also have them sign a liability form.  Do the rest of you do this?  We got this from a place that rents bikes in the town in which we live.  If you use this, do you make the form available online before they arrive?  At this point, we put paper copies in the apartment.  Any suggestions about how to do this would be greatly appreciated!  

7 Replies 7
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Robert-And-Geri0 👋

What a great question! And such a lovely amenity to think about offering your guests. 😊

We actually had a thread a couple of years back about offering leisure facilities.

@Debra300  - do you still offer e-bikes? 🚲 

And @Fred13  - do you still provide snorkelling and paddle board equipment for guests? 🌊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Rebecca,

We have taken a temporary break with the ebike rentals because we couldn't find an insurer on the island.  Most local insurance companies do not provide coverage for bicycles or motorbikes.  However, we are about to start offering Waivo damage protection policies with our bookings, so we may resume the ebike rentals.  The rental agreement the guest signs includes a provision stating they assume liability for any damages they may cause to other persons or property and are responsible to pay all fines incurred when operating the ebike.   We would usually provide the form at the time of rental, but if requested, it could be sent prior to arrival.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for popping over to share your insight @Debra300. Did you get a lot of demand for the e-bikes when you did rent them out? 

@Robert-And-Geri0 - have you seen Debras reply? 

-----

Yep - I did.  But we do t have e-bikes.  Just 7-gear beach bikes.  We have a liability fform that I made into a google form and folks can sign before getting here then we give them a key to the bike locks and the bikes and helmets are there’s.  

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's great @Robert-And-Geri1  (seems like you have 2 accounts 🤔). A Google Form is a great idea as you can download the results and it's all saved onto the Google Cloud! 

Have you had many rentals of your bikes so far? 

-----

Hey Rebecca - I know.  I keep trying to get rid of that other account but it keeps coming back . . . . but Yes!  We've had 4 folks use them, and sign the liability form.  It's working out really well!!  Thanks for asking!!

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Rebecca,

We offered the ebikes for just a short time before we found out about the lack of available insurance.  We now have a bungalow that's located in town and it's at sea level.  We plan to test out the ebike/bike rentals there this Autumn and Winter.  One of my major concerns is guest carelessness, because they don't realize the cost to bring a decent ebike/bike to the island, and think that it's comparable to the prices they see on Amazon.  However, there are additional shipping costs and customs duties that usually doubles the price of the ebike/bike (they are considered vehicles and taxed accordingly, about 125%).

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center