Lock box best practices

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Lock box best practices

In the past I have used keypad locks only but will have to use a lock box at one of my places (long story).

Those of you who have lock boxes, what are some of your best practices? Do you put to set of keys just in case? Do you change the lock box code all the time? How do you make sure guests remember to return them?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

We use an old-school lockbox from MasterLock (no lights or other fanciness), with a single key (listing is only for 2 max). Ours is a basement apartment listing with an interior stairwell, so we hang the box on the railing. There is a light in the stairwell, so if people arrive after dark, they can still see to operate the box.

The key itself is for both the exterior door at the bottom of the stairwell, and the interior suite door. I suspect that having a single key for both doors goes a long way in helping people to keep the key with them at all times. We ask guests on checkout to leave the key in the interior suite door and just lock the exterior door (it's just a knob lock) on their way out.

We change the code (manually) often, as we live here and it doesn't require a special trip to do so.

Thus far, no one has had any real issues. I did have a guest tell me in private feedback that she had a bit of trouble, but she also said it was "user error", and she did manage it after some initial fumbling. I think her trouble was opening the cover to get to the keypad - it requires a "squeeze and pull down" action, which is a touch awkward.

I like the simplicity of it, and the fact that it's basically indestructible. Iirc, the cost was around $40CAD.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22  I do find the lock-box great, it takes all the pressure off me to always be on hand.

This is the one I use.....

Key-box.png

it is illuminated for night time access and, although a bit of a blurry picture, this is what it looks like with the cover open at night time in place next to the cottage door!

IMG20180308201510 b.jpg

I possibly should not admit to this but, we live in a very safe area with virtually no crime, all our guests have been entirely honourable, and I have never bothered to change the code, but code changing is an very easy process. 

There is always a set of keys in the box just in case the guest happens to lock themselves out.

This unit is available on Amazon.....it cost $75 AU here in our local Bunnings store but Inna although I can't find it on Amazon in the US, it is available on Amazon UK at this address.....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=master+lock+UK+illuminated+lock-box&ref=nb_sb_noss

Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers......Rob

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Inna22 I have always used a lockbox which is screwed onto the porch knee-wall so it can not be viewed from the street. This is the only key that guests get and it always lives in the box. The added benefit to this arrangement is that if guests go their separate ways from each other, the first group to return will always have access to the house. We are mostly home, so guests rarely need to access the lockbox, but, when they do, it is easy and quick.

I change the code for every guest.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Inna22 I use the Master Lock Box with Bluetooth (https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Bluetooth-Portable-5440D/dp/B071VGZ283).  You invite each guest using their Airbnb email address and telephone number and at the same time set the period of access to cover their visit.  Once they download the app and register, the box works when their phone is present with Bluetooth enabled.  This is good for remote hosting since you can't change the code remotely.

Every once in a while a guest just can't manage the app and I give them my own code.  But remember these are visitors "from away" in a pretty secluded vacation area, not in the middle of a large city, so the security concerns are negligible.

@Ann72 I saw you post about that when I was looking for past threads on the topic. I am not sure I want to rely on technology- same reason why I do not have bluetooth keypads. I feel like my guests can barely manage flushing a toilet. I am concerned about all the phone calls I will be getting. Plus I get a decent amount of international travelers and I can not expect them to have wifi

@Inna22 I hear you.  It's not like that, in my experience, but I totally get your concerns! 

Bluetooth isn't WiFi, nor is it dependent on WiFi or cellular service.

@Ann72  I actually never realized that although of course it makes perfect sense

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

In my area lockboxes are vandalized very often. In the next building one of the neighbors starts his third year on ABB. He changed 4-5 boxes until now.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Inna22  I have two lock-boxes - one for each of the private entrances into my cottage. They are not visible from the street, fortunately. I keep one key in each lock-box (one lock-box is near the hot tub; it is life-saving for guests that accidentally lock themselves out of the cottage when hot tubbing, which has happened more times than I can count!) - And then there is one key in the cottage on a lanyard, just in case lock-box keys were used but were not returned to the lock box. This has worked out great so far, no problems after 155 stays. I did buy a good quality lock box that is weather resistant and robust with a cover on it. Both of them have held up well, and we have some rough weather here on the coast.

Can you name the brand of your lockbox please?

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

We use an old-school lockbox from MasterLock (no lights or other fanciness), with a single key (listing is only for 2 max). Ours is a basement apartment listing with an interior stairwell, so we hang the box on the railing. There is a light in the stairwell, so if people arrive after dark, they can still see to operate the box.

The key itself is for both the exterior door at the bottom of the stairwell, and the interior suite door. I suspect that having a single key for both doors goes a long way in helping people to keep the key with them at all times. We ask guests on checkout to leave the key in the interior suite door and just lock the exterior door (it's just a knob lock) on their way out.

We change the code (manually) often, as we live here and it doesn't require a special trip to do so.

Thus far, no one has had any real issues. I did have a guest tell me in private feedback that she had a bit of trouble, but she also said it was "user error", and she did manage it after some initial fumbling. I think her trouble was opening the cover to get to the keypad - it requires a "squeeze and pull down" action, which is a touch awkward.

I like the simplicity of it, and the fact that it's basically indestructible. Iirc, the cost was around $40CAD.

K87
Level 2
Miami, FL

Hello,

Im a new host however Ive completed about 7 stays. I use a lockbox. I unfortunately have not changed lockbox code hut always think I need to. Nevertheless no issue thus far and no one has forgotten to return keys.