NEW HOST

NEW HOST

hey everyone hope u are all having a wonderful day wherever you are. I'm 18 and currently starting a business with my dad and just want to know and gather more information about listing a property before we do so the property will be in Mauritius. Hopefully, I can learn from u fellow hosts please any help would be wonderful.

I've tried to find as much info about placing a property on air BnB but they are no help they conceal there contact details pretty well I've read everywhere are still questions are left unanswered. The information I have read seems unreliable but I would like to know from the host yourself your experience and all the costs and percentages I need to take into consideration so I understand if its profitable or not.

I just want to know how much commission air BnB take how much percentage of the total I receive?

how long process payment takes?

what is the fee to take the money?

when I post the listing do I have to show any star ratings or can I show any star ratings?

Are there any hidden costs, I should know?

Will we be charged extra if we charge cleaning services?

do I add cleaning services in the price of the reservation?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP 

6 Replies 6
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Emily1146 

I can answer some of your questions, but one suggestion I have is that you stay somewhere as a guest as well, to make sure you understand the process from the point of view of the guest.

I just want to know how much commission air BnB take how much percentage of the total I receive?

- Airbnb earns commission twice - from guest and from host. They take 3% from the host and add 10 to 13 % to the guest. So if you put your room for $100 a night, you will receive $97 and the guest will pay approximately $110 + cleaning fee.

how long process payment takes?

- Guest pay when they book. You receive the money 1 day after the guest check in.

what is the fee to take the money?

- You need to check fees in your country. In the UK, I use paypal, so no fee.

when I post the listing do I have to show any star ratings or can I show any star ratings?

- When you post, you have no rating. Guests will rate you  after each stay (from 1* to 5*). You will also ask to review the guest.

Are there any hidden costs, I should know?

- not hidden, but there are costs to run the property, like cleaning, insurance, wear and tear. You also need to furnish the unit, and keep it in good condition, get good linen, good towels. Guests also expect a kitchen where they can cook (so pots, pans, tea, coffee, plates, etc, etc..)

Will we be charged extra if we charge cleaning services?

- you can add a cleaning fee to your listing, that is charged once to guests - independently if they stay 1 day or 1 month. You can also add taxes, or resort services. You need to see what is suitable / relevant to your location. You will not be charged extra for adding those.

do I add cleaning services in the price of the reservation? Answered above.

Please check your market - it may be saturated, and that brings prices down. Do your research before investing a lot of money. Again, staying in a property similar to what you would like to offer may give you an idea of costs and options.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Emily1146 @Roberta2 

Technically the host (and guest) will be charged extra if cleaning is charged as the host/guest percentages are also applied to this.

Also I am sure our guests are charged nearer to 15% but I guess the varies with price/location etc.

@Emily1146 

Is Paypal really free in the UK? If so why am I not using it?Is it quicker than a bank transfer to get your money out?

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

Yes, paypal is free to receive the payment and free to send payment from paypal to the bank account. I usually get paid 24 hours after check in (My check in is 7pm, so I usually get paid by 8pm the next day, even if that is a weekend).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emily1146  I'm not sure what you mean that you can't find information. Almost all the questions you asked, and the answers to them can be found on the Airbnb website in the Hosting Help section. Read through all the articles there for hosts, and then if something isn't clear, or you can't find the answer there, by all means, continue asking questions here on the forum.

@Emily1146 I agree with all of @Roberta2 's advice. I'll just add that if you're looking for data on occupancy rates and prices in a given area, you can find it at airdna.com. Be aware, though, that trends from previous years might not reflect the current market. The Coronavirus scare is having a major impact on international travel and we can expect much more disruption in the near future. 

Marta-Stella0
Level 2
Paysandú, UY

Hola amigo

Tú puedes hacerlo solo 

Confía y adelante , ve al sitio web y tus jóvenes neuronas te llevan a tener todas las respuestas de inmediato !  

Yo tengo muchas muchas decadas de vida , me largue sola en esta aventura y hoy soy Superhost . Bendiciones fé y corage para ti .