Off-grid Hosting

Sarah1866
Level 2
Franklin, TN

Off-grid Hosting

Hi! I have been asked by someone I know to manage their new off-grid property. It is still very much in the planning stages, so I'm trying to do as much research as I can. It is a tiny house cabin very deep in the woods on private property, and there is no internet and cell service is limited. I know that others host "off-grid" and I wanted to know about some of your biggest challenges and some solutions you have come up when sorting out logistics to avoid disasters!

Thanks for any information and tips!

1 Reply 1

@Sarah1866  I'm very on-grid, so I don't have any relevant experience to share here. But what I don't understand is why a genuinely off-grid owner would choose a completely web-dependent platform for their listing. 

Correspondence between the host and guests within the online platform is the primary evidence available to customer service if either party has a problem or dispute. So while internet access isn't a required amenity, it's pretty essential to following the procedures Airbnb demands for issues such as guest refunds or host damage claims.

There is definitely demand for some truly off-grid, remote listings, especially in these times of social distancing, but perhaps Airbnb is not the ideal tool to serve their needs.