Offering guest flexibility on check-in and check-out

Answered!
Donna1586
Level 2
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Offering guest flexibility on check-in and check-out

I have found that there is currently no way to accommodate your guests with early check-in or late check-out if you have a smart lock connected to your Airbnb account. A host cannot change a particular bookings check-in and check-out time. Even if you change the code on your smart lock itself, it will revert back to the default check-in and check-out time on Airbnb. I've read lots of articles from Airbnb about being flexible and accommodating your guests, but this kind of makes that impossible. I know there are work-arounds, but it seems as though it should be a feature in the Airbnb app to be able to change a check-in time (say, let them come in an hour early). Does anyone know why Airbnb has chosen to not allow this or how I could post this as a suggestion to an improvement in the app?

1 Best Answer

@Donna1586. Hi Donna, welcome. I also use Schlage locks however I have never been tempted to synch to the new Airbnb app offering. I find the Schlage app far superior in its options as a host and property owner (think cleaners, maintenance people all getting ad hoc access and trying to manage this alongside your Airbnb app). The flexibility, monitoring (control) and last minute changes trumps any nominal time saving imo. I also get to personalise each guest welcome greeting when sending the codes.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Donna1586 That does seem strange for sure. There's no way I would give control of my locks to anyone. That’s just me though. 
I use the Vera hub or now known as Ezlo with Yale locks to control my locks and codes. I love them. Very easy to use and of course you can make changes on the fly. 
There is also a feature where you can add the check in and check out time. So you can give your guest the code the day before however it won’t work until check in time. 

Karen

@Karen114 I use the Schlage lock and it also allows for remote changes. It's a great lock. I think the issue is that if you connect your lock with the Airbnb app, the Airbnb check-in and check-out times sync with your lock. This actually is a great feature because it randomly changes the codes for me each time I have a booking and sends the code automatically to my guests. This is a great time saver. The only issue is that Airbnb doesn't allow you to change the check-in and check-out times in the app. If it did, the synchronization with my lock would be awesome. I wouldn't have to do a thing. However, since you can't change the check-in and check-out time on the Airbnb app,  the synchronization will change my lock software back to the default Airbnb check-in and check-out time, even if I change the times in my lock app. A real design flaw. Does anyone where I could report this to Airbnb? I'm new to the community.

@Donna1586. Hi Donna, welcome. I also use Schlage locks however I have never been tempted to synch to the new Airbnb app offering. I find the Schlage app far superior in its options as a host and property owner (think cleaners, maintenance people all getting ad hoc access and trying to manage this alongside your Airbnb app). The flexibility, monitoring (control) and last minute changes trumps any nominal time saving imo. I also get to personalise each guest welcome greeting when sending the codes.

Makes total sense! I Will probably follow your lead unless they come up with an update that would allow you to personalize your check in and check out times per guest booking. Thanks for the insight!

Nash-Cottages-LLC0
Level 10
Nashville, TN

Hi Donna, Thank you for reporting this design flaw. It is frustrating when you're trying to accommodate your guest and run into an issue. There is an away to report this to Airbnb. We would  report it in response to the latest update, but let me tag a couple of Airbnb moderators to see if they can point you in a better direction. @Bhumika @Paula 

Thank you. I would really appreciate it. As I said, I love the connectivity as I am still also working full-time. But, the inflexibility of being able to change the check-in or check out time will probably lead me to disconnect the lock from the Airbnb app unless they can come up with a solution.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Nash-Cottages-LLC0 , thank you so much for tagging us!

@Donna1586 Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here. While I look forward to share it with Airbnb teams, I also wanted to share the feedback form with you where you can share your suggestions directly : 👉 Feedback Form 👈

I noticed in one of your comments that you're using Schlage smart lock. Have you also tried reaching out to their customer service to know if there are any work-arounds?

Have you tried out @Frances3408 's lead since she's using the same brand lock? 👀 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Heidi859
Level 2
Greenville, NC

I have guests that ask for early check in and I just adjust the time in the lock app. I use the August lock which syncs with Airbnb, but the codes it generates are hard for guests to remember so I update it to the last 4 of their cell phone. 

Sami459
Level 3
Denver, CO

RemoteLock, 6 bucks a month.