Pet fee

Rose2478
Level 2
Bay Point, CA

Pet fee

Hi! Me and my husband are new to hosting. How do you charge pet fee. We put in on the listing and whe have the pet fee button on  but it’s not automatically being charge on the bookings. 

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Hi @Rose2478 

Welcome to hosting. Here's how I've been able to charge a pet fee effectively:

1. First, I ensure the pet fee option is enabled in my listing settings with the correct fee amount.

2. Prior to guests booking, I communicate openly about the pet fee and how it will be applied.

3. Once a guest with a pet confirms their reservation, I manually request the pet fee through the Airbnb platform.

4. If a guest declines to pay the pet fee, I consider canceling the reservation according to my pet policy and house rules.

Clear communication and setting expectations upfront have been key in successfully implementing the pet fee. I hope you find this helpful.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rose2478, thank you so much for sharing your question in our community.

Our Hosts have frequently discussed this topic. Here are some discussions for you to review 😊

I am also reaching out to some of our expert Hosts to see if they would like to share their suggestions here: @Marina481@Sorcha3@Wanda70 and @Karlis3 

Regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Rose2478 I believe Airbnb recently updated this where Host can add a pet fee directly to their pricing settings and the fee will be spread out over the guest's stay and included in the nightly rate and the total price at checkout. Have you tried checking the price breakdown of your bookings where there should be a pet fee? Alternatively, you can request the pet fee through the Resolution Center after the booking is confirmed but please make sure to disclose that there is a pet fee on your listing. Hope this helps! 

Karlis3
Level 3
Grüt, Switzerland

Hello @Rose2478 ,

I do not know what could be the issue in your case. But in our case the pet fee is applied automatically, once the guests select that they come with a pet.
To do that:
1) Go to your listing calendar in monthly view
2) On the right side under "Pricing" scroll down until "additional charges"
3) Select "fees" and then just add a "Pet fee" amount per stay.

For us this works and the fee is applied automatically.

Of course, sometimes guests say in messaging they will bring a pet, but they DO NOT include the pet in the booking information. Then I have to add it manually. I reach out to the guest with a message stating that we have an extra pet fee and issue a booking reservation change by adding the pet fee to the total cost.

Hope this helps.
Happy hosting,
Karlis